Can you suggest a good non-religious/anti-theist counsellor to help me with trauma from my religious upbringing, treatment or experiences?

We think it’s commendable and courageous that you’re prepared to take the important step of seeking help, and wish you the very best of luck with this.

The AFA does not have the requisite mental health expertise to properly compile and maintain such a list, and treatment options are best evaluated in conjunction with medical professionals having direct knowledge of your personal circumstances and needs – we recommend that your usual GP be your first port of call if at all possible. This has the additional benefit of direct referral to a chosen specialist.

The following are lists of counsellors maintained by external organisations with an interest in this area, and may therefore be worth perusing: