AFA Forums

AFA Forums (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/index.php)
-   Family Matters (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   All in one vaccination thread: For all things vaccination related (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=12171)

gruber 26th October 2011 06:13 PM

All in one vaccination thread: For all things vaccination related

http://www.thespec.com/opinion/colum...inst-ignorance

Quote:

Some people refuse to vaccinate their children because they think such shots as MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) cause autism. They don’t. Sixteen epidemiological studies have all concluded there is no link between autism and such vaccines as MMR or thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative once used in vaccines. Thimerosal has not been present in any childhood vaccines, except inactivated influenza vaccine, since 2001. In those 10 years, have the number of identified cases of childhood autism decreased?
No. Actually, they’ve increased.
india nearly has polio wiped out
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-15425852

Quote:

There have been no new cases for more than nine months, making it the longest polio-free period since the global eradication campaign was launched.
The only case reported this year was in the state of West Bengal in January. There were 39 cases reported over a similar period in 2010.

Podblack 5th November 2011 06:25 PM

Re: Vaccination skepticism is becoming the new public health threat

The big new concern? Sending freaking diseases in the mail. :(

Xeno 25th November 2011 01:50 PM

It seems the government is fighting back.

The depressing part is that they are predicting this will save money, rather than predicting a return to higher levels of vaccination.

Durro 25th November 2011 05:15 PM

We've had a resurgence of Whooping Cough here in Brizvegas, thanks to morons not getting their kids vaccinated. At one point recently, we nearly had to close down our medical practice, as a couple of staff tested positive for WC initially (following the presentation of about a dozen WC positive patients), before further tests revealed a false positive on the screen.

I fear that the "childhood diseases" will make a comeback - the problem is, diseases like measles, rubella and chicken pox can be devastating for people, particularly adults. Brain injury, deafness, blindness, meningitis and death are just some of the potential complications for diseases often laughed off as a kiddie ailment.

Praxis 26th November 2011 12:22 PM

Online poll re penalising idiots who don't vaccinate their kids. I'm all for it.

I will not tolerate this "conscientious objector" bullshit (yes, I'm looking at you, fucking Steiner schools) as if it's somehow a philosophical stance.

These foolish, deluded and dangerously misguided parents who don't/won't vaccinate are too young to remember ever seeing anyone with polio callipers and have probably never spoken to anyone old enough to remember siblings, school friends, relatives dying from easily preventable diseases such as measles, or going blind from them. It's that total lack of any connection to the reality of how vaccination works that to me forms part of the problem.

Darwinsbulldog 26th November 2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Praxis said (Post 252432)
Online poll re penalising idiots who don't vaccinate their kids. I'm all for it.

I will not tolerate this "conscientious objector" bullshit (yes, I'm looking at you, fucking Steiner schools) as if it's somehow a philosophical stance.

These foolish, deluded and dangerously misguided parents who don't/won't vaccinate are too young to remember ever seeing anyone with polio callipers and have probably never spoken to anyone old enough to remember siblings, school friends, relatives dying from easily preventable diseases such as measles, or going blind from them. It's that total lack of any connection to the reality of how vaccination works that to me forms part of the problem.

It is important to remember that in some rare cases, it is dangerous to vaccinate particular children [or rather conditions that particular children may have] , but parents should follow a doctor's advice on such things. But of course a lot of it is a childish and moronic rejection and suspicion of science and "big pharma" as well as the self interest of those who benefit from "herd immunity" and are therefore being mean-spirited and irresponsible.
Herd immunity can should only be practiced when the threat of particular conditions to particular children would make it hazardous for them to participate in a vaccination programme[s] and thus enjoy the umbrella protection of herd immunity.

Sir Patrick Crocodile 26th November 2011 02:11 PM

Pardonez moi for being pedantic here, but I would hardly call this vaccination skepticism - this is more a set of fearmongering gibberish claims (eg. "vaccines cause autism") than it is mere skepticism.

I'd call this "anti-vaccination preaching" more than "vaccination skepticism" - as far as I can see this really is quite ridiculous.

Then you get the "oh people are taking children away from parents who don't want to raise them in an environment free of medical drugs" kind of idiots. Guess what punk... a medical drug free environment is a horrible one.

And I think it is rather insulting to attribute random shit to being a cause of autism especially where there is either no/little evidence and/or has been proven/is obvious that it is wrong.

There is already some dirty shitter thinking Wi-Fi hotspots cause autism - if that was true I would be sticking a number of people's heads in microwaves by now and cooking them for 5 seconds or so. Same wavelength (~2.4GHz) as your wi-fi hotspot but 10,000 times (eg. hotspot = 100mW microwave = 1000W) more powerful.

I think that this anti-vaccine hype type thingy will be an alt-med/snake-oil (whatever the difference is) salesperson's dream come true. For example "Oh the big bad drug companies are at it pushing vaccines that have been proven to make people autistic and we have a much more natural and safer method" kind of thing.

Xeno 26th November 2011 02:19 PM

Vote was only about 60:40 when I voted.

Darwinsbulldog 26th November 2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Crocodile said (Post 252450)
Pardonez moi for being pedantic here, but I would hardly call this vaccination skepticism - this is more a set of fearmongering gibberish claims (eg. "vaccines cause autism") than it is mere skepticism.

I'd call this "anti-vaccination preaching" more than "vaccination skepticism" - as far as I can see this really is quite ridiculous.

Then you get the "oh people are taking children away from parents who don't want to raise them in an environment free of medical drugs" kind of idiots. Guess what punk... a medical drug free environment is a horrible one.

And I think it is rather insulting to attribute random shit to being a cause of autism especially where there is either no/little evidence and/or has been proven/is obvious that it is wrong.

There is already some dirty shitter thinking Wi-Fi hotspots cause autism - if that was true I would be sticking a number of people's heads in microwaves by now and cooking them for 5 seconds or so. Same wavelength (~2.4GHz) as your wi-fi hotspot but 10,000 times (eg. hotspot = 100mW microwave = 1000W) more powerful.

I think that this anti-vaccine hype type thingy will be an alt-med/snake-oil (whatever the difference is) salesperson's dream come true. For example "Oh the big bad drug companies are at it pushing vaccines that have been proven to make people autistic and we have a much more natural and safer method" kind of thing.

I agree Croc, rational skeptacism = caution, check with doctor to see if your child has problems, if not vaccinate. And irrational skeptacism=woo motivated paranoia and nastiness that can kill.

Imperfectpeta 27th November 2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Darwinsbulldog said (Post 252443)
It is important to remember that in some rare cases, it is dangerous to vaccinate particular children [or rather conditions that particular children may have] , but parents should follow a doctor's advice on such things. But of course a lot of it is a childish and moronic rejection and suspicion of science and "big pharma" as well as the self interest of those who benefit from "herd immunity" and are therefore being mean-spirited and irresponsible.
Herd immunity can should only be practiced when the threat of particular conditions to particular children would make it hazardous for them to participate in a vaccination programme[s] and thus enjoy the umbrella protection of herd immunity.

I agree. My first thoughts were of the children that are not able to be vaccinated.

Other than that, I have no major opinions on this yet. I have a huge phobia of vaccinations. Blood tests are fine for me, so are tattoos, but the thought of a vaccination (or a drip) sends me into hyperventilation, nausea attacks and high fevers. So I cannot/will not be getting vaccinations in the future myself (there goes my dream of ever going to Africa or Egypt!). However my children will be vaccinated as my hubby has no phobia and is able to take the (eventual) children to get them done.

But for now, I am waiting for the day when needles are not needed to be used when being vaccinated.