AFA Forums

AFA Forums (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/index.php)
-   Coming Out Stories (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Black's Book - Progress, Moans and Groans (http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=29686)

The Irreverent Mr Black 27th April 2017 09:53 PM

Black's Book - Progress, Moans and Groans

I'm currently taking stock of the bits of book-in-the-making. Let me think publicly here, as some of my valued colleagues may have advice, or requests.

Truth is an early casualty of my scuffle with memories: the idea that no character is based on a real person, living or dead, is a comforting one.

In front of me are slightly more than fifty episodes/chapters, some of which will further divide, and a number of scrappy notes which may, in turn, become episodes in their own right.

My immediate job, as I see it, is to bring this collection, covering Teen Black as he grows older, and progresses through the religious wilderness to become Black, the Godless. to the point of being a coherent narrative. (Surely my infancy and dotage aren't all that interesting.)

Then I'll polish the coprolith a bit.

Fuck, all that with a left arm that can't even be relied on to use the spacebar reliably...

If I'm lucky, it might get a guffaw or two eventually.

Right now? I'm mapping the whole sorry mess out and staring at it, seeing if I remember anything that needs adding, deleting, changing or a few convenient lies.

A side project has appeared along the way: the dealings with depression, which were going to be a single AFA post, kind of grew, and will take a few thousand words of their own.

My approach may not work for anybody else, and I'm not fuckwitted enough to claim that it would, but I might as well share the ride.

If I'm lucky, that might also get a guffaw or two eventually.

Discipline dictates I stay offline except for emergency stuff, so my apologies to anybody who might feel unanswered or neglected.

Right, better vanish up meself again: there's work to do, and I expect it will take a considerable time. I'll pop in on the forums here and there as and when possible.

http://www.strangerdimensions.com/wp...e-isolator.jpg

Strato 27th April 2017 11:31 PM

Re: Black's Book - Progress, Moans and Groans

Have you decided on a title/and subtitle?

The Irreverent Mr Black 28th April 2017 04:04 AM

Quote:

Strato said (Post 586351)

I had Exit Interview in mind, but there are negative connotations associated with a struggle with urges to off oneself (currently Team "Survive!" is doing a sterling job).

Goat Among The Flock? The Adventures of Beaut Blackie?:p

Strato 28th April 2017 10:25 PM

I'm sure it'll come to you in time.:p

Title is important. I have toyed with band names and took to writing them down filling pages now lost I think, in moving.

Many seemed valid at the time. Only a few got a tick.

wadaye 28th April 2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

The Irreverent Mr Black said (Post 586353)
Quote:

Strato said (Post 586351)

I had Exit Interview in mind, but there are negative connotations associated with a struggle with urges to off oneself (currently Team "Survive!" is doing a sterling job).

Goat Among The Flock? The Adventures of Beaut Blackie?:p

I like Goat among the flock. Capital G and little f with that. When people get grown up they get to be Goats. Until then they are just generic members of the flock.

Strato 28th April 2017 11:35 PM

That's the way! Fire a shell for individualism wadaye.:)

The Irreverent Mr Black 1st May 2017 11:27 AM

Doing the administrivia properly can be a Good Thing somewhere down the line. Right now, it's a royal pain in the gluteal muscles.

As mentioned earlier, Worthy Colleague (and friend) Goldenmane will be the poor sod who gets all my notes and writings if I kark before publication.

In order to make his job possible, and to help with mine if the aging Black mind begins turning to mush, I have started cataloguing stuff and making a few notes about the notes, compiling curatorial hints as to What The Fuck Is What.

I'm now saving versions incrementally, i.e. not wiping the old, and saving the new with a different, dated, filename. Vanity to think anybody will give a bubbly fart? Well, no matter.

And, of course, many fine hobgoblins of distraction rear their ugly little heads. There's a Dr Seuss parody I started ten years ago, in which the structure of Green Eggs and Ham meets a few pro-goddist arguments.

Extract:
Quote:

(Believer Steve speaks):
I tell you, every knee shall bow!
You must acknowledge, anyhow,
This god of mine I'm showing you:
It's written in my bible, too.

A bible? Now you've made a joke!
It's written by a bunch of blokes
Who could not write consistently.
No, that is not the book for me!

And saying that I have to bow
And must acknowledge, anyhow?
That argument's ad baculum,
And you can stick it in your bum!

Goldenmane 1st May 2017 10:01 PM

No vanity, mon sewer.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The Irreverent Mr Black 1st May 2017 10:18 PM

Quote:

Goldenmane said (Post 586666)
No vanity, mon sewer.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Tonight, I am no mere sewer. I am the Cloaca Maxima, and a fine dolce rosso is the piddle of all Rome!

Bedtime for me, because Dog v2.0 is quite particular about walks at Fuck-Off O'Clock.

Strato 1st May 2017 10:48 PM

It looks like Dog v2:0 is your Personal Trainer Mr Black.

Does he arouse you from your dogmatic slumber?

Your book is your burden, to see it through editorial stage to marketing stage. A proper publisher will see you through.

I will be purchasing a copy at the going rate.