View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:09 PM
AFA Member
Default Re: Easy mode education, just do ID

While I was teaching at Murdoch university, I was contemplating doing a PhD, but my life was complex, and while I though doing a doctorate level research program might be fun, and had several projects in mind, I felt that I could not devote the time or the focus to do such a project justice. So as a compromise I started a Dip Ed [Tertiary Education].

I didn't last long. One of the first assignments was to describe my teaching philosophy and justify it. It sounded like apologetics to me. Surely a better way would be to compare a range of pedagogys and decided on the best one based on evidence and reason? Needles to say, that particular branch of academic inquiry cooled my enthusiasm, and I dropped out of the program.

Not being a professional educator I don't know if this was just an unfortunate choice of school [for convenience I started the Dip Ed where I taught], or if this "method" of learning was mainstream in the education sector?

Whatever, it seems that sort of teaching philosophy can be used for political means, as in the OP.
Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifiable hypotheses to destruction.