Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 24th January 2016, 04:07 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Default All in one vaccination thread: For all things vaccination related

"We need to stop vilifying these parents..."

Actually, if this report is accurate, IMHO they don't get a fraction of the *vilification* they should get.

They are knowingly putting their own and other children at risk, duplicitously defending it as "informed choice", but based on... no good information whatsoever. Just whacky conspiracy theories and JAQing-off.
Old 8th February 2016, 01:29 AM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Default Re: All in one vaccination thread: For all things vaccination related

Mod note:

As a result of damo's, ahem, intervention in this thread, 5 posts were relocated from here to this Pseudoscience thread.

Cheers.
Old 20th May 2017, 11:41 AM
AFA Member

I don't know what's wrong with Australia, as a society we seem deeply dysfunctional. Ireland, a country blatantly and deeply religious made SSM legal, the US where elections are won and lost on religious fervour made SSM legal, The UK, a country with a national religions made SSM legal, our nearest neighbour new Zealand did the same and now Italy, the home of Catholicism and the harbourer of evil in the Vatican has made childhood vaccination compulsory for all schoolchildren!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39983799

Quote:
"The lack of appropriate measures over the years and the spread of anti-scientific theories, especially in recent months, has brought about a reduction in protection," Mr Gentiloni told a press conference on Friday.
The twelve conditions children must be immunised against are:
  • polio
  • diphtheria
  • tetanus
  • hepatitis B
  • haemophilus influenzae B
  • meningitis B
  • meningitis C
  • measles
  • mumps
  • rubella
  • whooping cough
  • chickenpox
"We are sending a very strong message to the public," said Health Minister Beatrice Lorenzin.

I'm not sure I believe this is the same country that prosecuted scientists for failing to predict an earthquake!

And yet in Australia, a supposedly secular country where the number supporting SSM consistently come up in the 70% of the population have failed to follow Ireland, the US and the UK. We still allow religious exemptions for vaccination, with people creating new religions specifically to be able to claim vaccination exemption, there seems to be a disconnect between the population and the politicians so great that we may as well not have elections and just run the country as a dictatorship with Abbott at the head!

Sad!
Old 20th May 2017, 12:03 PM
Deepity-packed chopper

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
(extreme snippo)
And yet in Australia, a supposedly secular country...
Marriage equality is a good litmus test for secularity. So what happens?

The Lib/Nats would not allow a conscience vote, and the voices of Wong, Plibersek et al were not enough to move a whole-of-party YES response from the ALP.

The divide seems to be along religious grounds, with mostly catholic voices opposing any moves toward equality.

Our Constitution may be largely secular (DOGS case and 116-twisting taken into account) but it seems many of our representatives and senators hold dual citizenship, and their first loyalty is to the mythical Kingdom of Heaven.

All your mistakes are lurking at Archive.org

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 21st May 2017, 12:43 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

Marriage equality is a good litmus test for secularity. So what happens?

The Lib/Nats would not allow a conscience vote, and the voices of Wong, Plibersek et al were not enough to move a whole-of-party YES response from the ALP.

The divide seems to be along religious grounds, with mostly catholic voices opposing any moves toward equality.

Our Constitution may be largely secular (DOGS case and 116-twisting taken into account) but it seems many of our representatives and senators hold dual citizenship, and their first loyalty is to the mythical Kingdom of Heaven.
The census might just mix things up as at least some of the lip service to religion comes down to the claims of the ACL that we are x% Christian as a society. Unwind that and some of the demographic driven claims of being Xtian might disappear.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 21st May 2017, 04:47 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Sieveboy said View Post
The census might just mix things up as at least some of the lip service to religion comes down to the claims of the ACL that we are x% Christian as a society. Unwind that and some of the demographic driven claims of being Xtian might disappear.
Then you'll get the "silent christian majority" argument. The fact is they have more punch than non-christians because A) all their friends are in politics, and B) they are a bunch of pushy loudmouths.

Strangely enough when atheist organisations use the same tactics (ie: being pushy and loud) they get vilified as aggressive, vicious, vindictive and all the other epithets that you can think of.
Old 21st May 2017, 09:47 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post

Then you'll get the "silent christian majority" argument. The fact is they have more punch than non-christians because A) all their friends are in politics, and B) they are a bunch of pushy loudmouths.

Strangely enough when atheist organisations use the same tactics (ie: being pushy and loud) they get vilified as aggressive, vicious, vindictive and all the other epithets that you can think of.
That majority is 61.1% as of the 2011 census, identifying as Christian. I remember in the last big debate on marriage equality one LNP politician Concetta Fierravanti-Wells saying the words silent majority, ignoring every poll at well over 70% for marriage equality. If the number of Xtians drops below 50% then, it's really hard for the conservative politicians to claim the silent majority.
Old 21st May 2017, 10:14 PM
AFA Member

What the fuck have the last few posts got to do with vaccination? Oh wait...can we vaccinate against christianity now? Yes, i'm in favor of that. Yep, we should do that.
Like knowledge is power liked this post
Old 21st May 2017, 10:41 PM
Deepity-packed chopper

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
What the fuck have the last few posts got to do with vaccination? Oh wait...can we vaccinate against christianity now? Yes, i'm in favor of that. Yep, we should do that.
Apols for the derail. The phrase "supposedly secular" brought me out snarling.

Alternate Timeline Version: It's all Brooks's fault, Sir!

All your mistakes are lurking at Archive.org

Old 21st May 2017, 10:56 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Apols for the derail. The phrase "supposedly secular" brought me out snarling.

Alternate Timeline Version: It's all Brooks's fault, Sir!
Yes, that MrBrooks, Mr.Black...

I was about to comment on the census and how many of us identify as xtians when i noticed this was the thread about vaccination. You can't but put two and two together. Mind viruses could us a vaccine surely?