Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Humanities/Social Sciences

Humanities/Social Sciences Philosophy, History, Politics etc

Old 30th November 2017, 10:37 AM
Because Dickmas

Default Perhaps I'm Stoic

LINKY

Quote:
What the Stoics did for us
Could a 2,300-year-old Graeco-Roman philosophy be the key to a happy 21st-century life?
Quote:
According to the metaphor, a life worth living is like a fenced garden: the fence itself is logic, as it guards the inside from weeds and other noxious things; the nurturing soil is the physics, since it informs us on how to navigate the world to the best of our *abilities; and the fruits are the ethics, resulting in a eudaimonic (happy or flourishing) life, the sort of life that one looks back to on her death bed and thinks, “Yup, that was pretty well done.”

This means that Stoic theory embraces the humanist emphasis on an ethical life, but also directly justifies our interests in both metaphysics and natural sciences (“physics”) as well as philosophy and social science (“logic”). They all come together in a satisfyingly coherent package.
Quote:
...the dichotomy of control, and it can change your life, for the better. Here is how Epictetus puts it in his Enchiridion (a sort of Stoic manual): “Some things are within our power, while others are not. Within our power are opinion, motivation, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever is of our own doing; not within our power are our body, our property, reputation, office, and, in a word, whatever is not of our own doing.”
See you in the stoa, Colleagues.

I'll be reading Free Speculative Fiction Online till we get some more content.

Like odd liked this post
Thank odd, Strato thanked this post
Old 7th December 2017, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Perhaps I'm Stoic

There were quite a few Stoic writers and philosophers in antiquity. Among them was the Roman statesman Seneca. A letter exchange between Seneca and Paul was forged by the Christians in the 4th century.

Whoever authored and assembled the new testament imported a great many Stoic aphorisms - they harvested the wisdom literature of the age.

According to Bruno Bauer,
"The writer of Mark's gospel was "an Italian, at home both in Rome and Alexandria";
that of Matthew's gospel "a Roman, nourished by the spirit of Seneca";
Christianity is essentially "Stoicism triumphant in a Jewish garb."
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth." ... Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Old 7th December 2017, 09:40 PM
Kookaburra Jack
This message has been deleted by Kookaburra Jack. Reason: duplicate
Old 7th December 2017, 09:48 PM
Because Dickmas

Quote:
Kookaburra Jack said View Post
There were quite a few Stoic writers and philosophers in antiquity. Among them was the Roman statesman Seneca. A letter exchange between Seneca and Paul was forged by the Christians in the 4th century.

Whoever authored and assembled the new testament imported a great many Stoic aphorisms - they harvested the wisdom literature of the age.

According to Bruno Bauer,
"The writer of Mark's gospel was "an Italian, at home both in Rome and Alexandria";
that of Matthew's gospel "a Roman, nourished by the spirit of Seneca";
Christianity is essentially "Stoicism triumphant in a Jewish garb."
Here's the Wikipedia link you might have included, from which you quoted.

Interesting chap!

I'll be reading Free Speculative Fiction Online till we get some more content.

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 7th December 2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:53 PM

Stoicism is the best philosophy of life that I have found so far. Like a lot of things, I wish I had studied it a lot earlier in life. It's strong roots in physics and logic make it easy to modernize and it's use in developing CBT and other modern psychological practices is testament to it's ability to help develop a strong mind.

And if you don't want to read the old texts or the modern takes on it, there is always some comedy!

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post
Old 11th December 2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

Indeed. He was one of the first writers to suggest the new testament was a fabrication, and that Jesus was invented. ("Stoicism in Jewish garb") Bruno Bauer wrote at an historical epoch when the power and influence of the heresy and blasphemy laws had relaxed. Prior to that anyone suggesting stuff like this in writing would need their head read.

He was one of the earliest "mythicists".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_myth_theory#Bauer
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth." ... Emperor Julian (362 CE)