Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Sexuality issues and equality

Sexuality issues and equality Safe zone for people to discuss gender identity, sexuality and equality.

Old 7th December 2017, 08:24 PM
AFA Life Member - I see ...

Default Re: Humiliation overflow thread

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
David Nicholls said View Post
I'll say it again, odd. Some people. You seem to miss that point on purpose. Why do you do that?

Maybe you should keep out of threads I'm in. You would sleep better if you did.

David
People can comment in any thread they like, provided they obey the forum rules.

Staff like odd, are obliged to monitor threads, and if necessary, provide guidance or sanctions if conversations get out of hand.

As a privileged white male I haven't had much in the way of bigotry thrown at me. But as a normal human with some empathy and a little brains, I can well imagine bigotry being harmful to the people who experience it.

All you seem to want to do is bully and insist that you are right. What you don't seem to want to do, is to attempt walking a mile in another person's moccasins.
Had you done so, you might have got the point.

But no, you "doubled down", introduced irrelevancies, and made it into personal attacks for all those who challenged you.

One reason a whole shit load of members left this forum, particularly women, was that it was not a particularly safe or comfortable place to be for them.

That was a wake-up call really.

A first glace being "colour-blind" or "gender-blind" or whatever, seems to be a noble thing. So we white privileged males patted ourselves on the back and boasted how enlightened we were. But it only seems enlightened from the standpoint of a white privileged hetero male.

We simply don't understand, because we don't directly and personally experience bigotry from racists, sexists, gay-bashers etc. Not on the scale such targeted groups experience, at any rate. So it is hard to understand.
Anyway, that is my two cents.
Thanks DBD. As for, "As a privileged white male I haven't had much in the way of bigotry thrown at me", well, I have and it has given me a better understanding of what minorities have to put up with.

I therefore fight against such things in the best way I can. Not always a good outcome, but I definitely try.

David
Old 7th December 2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
Quote:
Quote:
odd said View Post
Quote:
I'm certainly not your pal and I would be surprised it you didn't lay awake at night thinking how you can 'get me'. Use the force/button Luke.

Not sure if you should be a mod or do you fit the mold to perfection. Dunno.

A very good question.

David
You think I want to 'get' you? Giving the amount of home goals you have scored recently I think you should be looking closer to home for the enemy.
I'm not here to win home goals. Seems you are. And I think you mean 'given' and not giving. You should leave it here.

David
Awesome stuff. Why don't you try to properly respond to bruce who smashed you upthread? Pointing out typos is easier than addressing the problems with your earlier posts?
odd, can you go for the last word as I am fucking sick of your pathetic attempts to paint me as the evil bad guy. How about get a life, buddy.

David
Old 7th December 2017, 08:33 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
Quote:
odd said View Post
Quote:
Quote:
odd said View Post
Quote:
I'm certainly not your pal and I would be surprised it you didn't lay awake at night thinking how you can 'get me'. Use the force/button Luke.

A very good question.

David
You think I want to 'get' you? Giving the amount of home goals you have scored recently I think you should be looking closer to home for the enemy.
I'm not here to win home goals. Seems you are. And I think you mean 'given' and not giving. You should leave it here.

David
Awesome stuff. Why don't you try to properly respond to bruce who smashed you upthread? Pointing out typos is easier than addressing the problems with your earlier posts?
odd, can you go for the last word as I am fucking sick of your pathetic attempts to paint me as the evil bad guy. How about get a life, buddy.

David
I am painting you as a bad guy? David, you are trying to embarrass me by pointing out a typo in a thread about humiliation...

This is all on you David - rather call out my typo and question my suitability for a volunteer role as a forum mod than properly respond to bruce? how you look is all on you.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 7th December 2017, 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=Darwinsbulldog;604115]
Quote:

One reason a whole shit load of members left this forum, particularly women, was that it was not a particularly safe or comfortable place to be for them.

That was a wake-up call really.

Darwinsbulldog,

That is a load of bollocks. People have left this forum and the AFA because it has become over officious, non inclusive, totally irrelevant to reality, with a in-club mentality, that has forgotten the past and is heading for oblivion.

Moving the deck chairs is not going to help.

Strong leadership may help but I fear it is too late.

David
Old 7th December 2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
Quote:
Quote:
odd said View Post
Quote:
Quote:
odd said View Post
Quote:

A very good question.

David

David

David
I am painting you as a bad guy? David, you are trying to embarrass me by pointing out a typo in a thread about humiliation...

This is all on you David - rather call out my typo and question my suitability for a volunteer role as a forum mod than properly respond to bruce? how you look is all on you.
odd, you seem to be ready to jump down my throat more than I consider necessary. I make assumptions about that as I am a human.

David
Old 7th December 2017, 08:57 PM
AFA Member

[QUOTE=David Nicholls;604121]
Quote:

Darwinsbulldog,

That is a load of bollocks. People have left this forum and the AFA because it has become over officious, non inclusive, totally irrelevant to reality, with a in-club mentality, that has forgotten the past and is heading for oblivion.

David
Well, that was contradictory.

Not much more I can say really. "Strong leadership" required??? Is that a stab against all AFA Presidents who are not named "David Nicholls"?

Hmm...., and a Titanic metaphor thrown in for good measure?

Inclusiveness? We let anyone in [and stay] who obeys the rules. Real inclusiveness however, is ensuring people don't get bullied or made uncomfortable just because they may be different.

An "in-club"? Much less so now than before. All groups and forums develop a culture.

Technically, an atheist is just someone who lacks a belief in god[s]. But a little bit of thought about the matter makes a perceptive person realise there is more to it than that.

For one thing, all those god-myths and the attendant dogma and assumptions about what is moral and what is not is thrown open to question.

If there is no "Great Chain Of Being" , then maybe we can look at women in a different light. Or do we carry on and think they are worthy of less consideration than horses?

Are non-Caucasians sub-human? Are gay folks an abomination? This sort of shit is really ingrained in all of us. Thinking atheists [and of course many theists] reject the more obvious shit, but a lot of more subtle shit is left. I am still trying to deal with it all.
Thank odd thanked this post
Old 7th December 2017, 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=Darwinsbulldog;604123]
Quote:
Quote:

Darwinsbulldog,

David
Well, that was contradictory.

Not much more I can say really. "Strong leadership" required??? Is that a stab against all AFA Presidents who are not named "David Nicholls"?

Hmm...., and a Titanic metaphor thrown in for good measure?

Inclusiveness? We let anyone in [and stay] who obeys the rules. Real inclusiveness however, is ensuring people don't get bullied or made uncomfortable just because they may be different.

An "in-club"? Much less so now than before. All groups and forums develop a culture.

Technically, an atheist is just someone who lacks a belief in god[s]. But a little bit of thought about the matter makes a perceptive person realise there is more to it than that.

For one thing, all those god-myths and the attendant dogma and assumptions about what is moral and what is not is thrown open to question.

If there is no "Great Chain Of Being" , then maybe we can look at women in a different light. Or do we carry on and think they are worthy of less consideration than horses?

Are non-Caucasians sub-human? Are gay folks an abomination? This sort of shit is really ingrained in all of us. Thinking atheists [and of course many theists] reject the more obvious shit, but a lot of more subtle shit is left. I am still trying to deal with it all.
Darwinsbulldog,

You are upset and it shows in your post. I'm not trying to make that worse but I am also not trying to hide from the fact that simple solutions to egregious behaviour is the way to go. They are not.

I consider we as the privileged have a responsibility to those who are preyed upon by the unscrupulous to change the system the best way we can. It will not change only by outright condemnation of perpetrators, although this is necessary, but by legal and social implants that describe such nastiness as socially totally unacceptable.

As with the same sex marriage debate, the power of popular perception eventually has won in most instances. It will take some time for all to accept it.

I know I'm not the best at putting this kind of view across, but it is about as good as I can do.

David
Old 8th December 2017, 09:50 AM
AFA Member

[QUOTE=David Nicholls;604124]
Quote:

Darwinsbulldog,

You are upset and it shows in your post. I'm not trying to make that worse but I am also not trying to hide from the fact that simple solutions to egregious behaviour is the way to go. They are not.

I consider we as the privileged have a responsibility to those who are preyed upon by the unscrupulous to change the system the best way we can. It will not change only by outright condemnation of perpetrators, although this is necessary, but by legal and social implants that describe such nastiness as socially totally unacceptable.

As with the same sex marriage debate, the power of popular perception eventually has won in most instances. It will take some time for all to accept it.

I know I'm not the best at putting this kind of view across, but it is about as good as I can do.

David
I am not angry. The last time I was angry on this forum was when we had a fundamentalist Xian who believed women should be treated like shit by divine right. I told him he was a piece of shit, reported myself and got suspended. No, if I was angry, and expressed it, I would have been suspended by now.
Thank two dogs thanked this post
Old 8th December 2017, 05:27 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog,

David
Mayhap you could endeavour to articulate your thoughts in comprehensible English, rather than the turgid prose that you are wont to employ.

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Like Mjt liked this post
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 8th December 2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Mayhap you could endeavour to articulate your thoughts in comprehensible English, rather than the turgid prose that you are wont to employ.
You do have a way with words, two dogs. "turgid prose" How marvelous, I mean that.

I have turgided as much as I am going to in this thread and I'll leave the last word(s) to those who wish to offer them.

David