Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 9th September 2017, 11:01 AM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

Default Re: The Book/Reading Thread!

Newly-discovered Kurt Vonnegut story, The Drone King - Atlantic Monthly Linky

Text and audio format.

My confirmation bias is better 'n your confirmation bias.

Like Strato liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 9th September 2017, 11:08 AM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Newly-discovered Kurt Vonnegut story, The Drone King - Atlantic Monthly Linky

Text and audio format.
Thanks MrB. Just finished Cat's Cradle and was looking for more - Vonnegut was a fucking boss.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 11th September 2017, 06:42 AM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Love Vonnegut's work. Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle are brilliant. Also enjoyed Galapagos. And so it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th September 2017, 08:27 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Over in the deaths thread the SF writer Jerry Pournelle's passing has been noted. I wanted to know a bit more about Pournelle as my knowledge was sketchy (other than knowing he was considered a right-wing SF author). I found a reference to Vonnegut in one of Pournelle's books he'd written in collaboration with Larry Niven.

Quote:
Like its model, the Niven-Pournelle Inferno is in part a cultural travelogue in which Carpenter and the reader get to meet the famous and ponder their fates. Carpenter runs into Billy the Kid, Henry VIII, and Vlad the Impaler, the real life Dracula. He witnesses the punishment of corrupt environmentalists and real estate developers. And, as in Dante’s version, we occasionally hear the sound of personal axes grinding. Kurt Vonnegut may have a tomb complete with blinking neon SO IT GOES sign because he made up false religions, but it is clear that Niven and Pournelle put him in the sixth circle for different reasons.
Why him? A science fiction writer who lied about being a science fiction writer because he got more money that way. He wrote whole novels in baby talk, with sixth-grade drawings in them, and third-grade science, and he knew better. How does he get a monument that size? . . . If you must know, I was writing better than he ever did before I left high school.
I'm a dyed in the wool Vonnegut fan. so I wasn't impressed with this! My natural reaction is to go back and read Slaughterhouse 5 again. Breakfast of Champions is also a big favourite, sixth-grade drawings and all.

Quote:
Lord Blackadder said View Post
Love Vonnegut's work. Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle are brilliant. Also enjoyed Galapagos. And so it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th September 2017, 08:47 AM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

@Stylo: While I didn't find anything better about the Vonnegut/Niven+Pournelle differences, I did locate this link worth sharing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheist_authors

My confirmation bias is better 'n your confirmation bias.

Like stylofone liked this post
Old 19th September 2017, 04:00 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Just finished Alcohol Explained by William Porter. Good read for anyone, but especially those who would like to be aware of the dangers of this poison. Only available at Amazon.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
Old 19th September 2017, 06:51 PM
AFA Member

Has anyone read 'The infinite Jest,' by David Foster Wallace? A literally masterpiece that every thinking human has to read. That is what i know of this book. Problem is, one in seven books i read is fiction, i get bored with fiction, i mean i like it but it's liking watching big bang theory on tv...kind of fun but sort of pointless, unless its a fabulous triumph - like everything Nabokov wrote. Anyway, any opinions on whether i should commit to spending a month, or two, reading 1000 pages of this novel?
Old 19th September 2017, 10:04 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
i get bored with fiction, i mean i like it but it's liking watching big bang theory on tv...kind of fun but sort of pointless
Gasp! To me this is like saying you get bored with painting, photography is better. I'm a fiction kind of guy. I get too much reality from, well, reality.
Old 19th September 2017, 10:14 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
Gasp! To me this is like saying you get bored with painting, photography is better. I'm a fiction kind of guy. I get too much reality from, well, reality.
Yes, you're right, i dont mean to be making a general comment on reading fiction. I've read so much fiction in my life and i've loved it, i write it, so let me rephrase...for some reason i've been having trouble reading fiction over the last few years and although i read something fictional still, my reading habits over the last year or two have been about 15% fiction/85% non-fiction. So, i'm scared of committing to a fictional work of complexity that will take a month or two to finish.

Lol!!! I just read what i've written there, my first world problems are really edgy.
Old 20th September 2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
i get bored with fiction, i mean i like it but it's liking watching big bang theory on tv...kind of fun but sort of pointless
In Year 9 I had an amazing English teacher who loved fiction just like I did and we had some great conversations. Then in Year 10 I moved to a new school and was hoping to have a similar relationship with the new English teacher. I asked her if I could do my book report on Foundation by Isaac Asimov instead of some Jane Austin novel. She said no and that I should still enjoy the sci-fi book because I would soon grow out of such childish things. Well, I showed her as I now have ~5000 fiction books in my collection. I've had to switch to e-books and the library because I'm running out of space in my house!

As for The Infinite Jest, I'd had it on my to-read pile for a while now. It gets amazing reviews from people whose reviews I respect. I'll go move it up the pile and maybe post some comments sometime, if you don't read it first ;-)