Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 24th April 2017, 10:37 AM
Mister Goaty

Default Knocker Stoppers (may not work on JWs)

These little beauts are available at 110 places nationwide. I just ordered some via Office Of Fair Trading QLD.

See also http://donotknock.consumeraction.org.au/

Now we need somebody with graphic chops to design a companion sticker for missionaries, and perhaps another for political door-knockers.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil - Jerry Garcia

Old 24th April 2017, 10:45 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Knocker Stoppers (may not work on JWs)

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

These little beauts are available at 110 places nationwide. I just ordered some via Office Of Fair Trading QLD.

See also http://donotknock.consumeraction.org.au/

Now we need somebody with graphic chops to design a companion sticker for missionaries, and perhaps another for political door-knockers.
But..but..,. these folks are providing vital public service information about how to save our souls or how to make Australia great again. And sales people can tell us what we want and need!
Old 24th April 2017, 10:55 AM
Mister Goaty

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
But..but..,. these folks are providing vital public service information about how to save our souls or how to make Australia great again. And sales people can tell us what we want and need!
There's a time-frame, too:
Quote:
On 1 January 2011 the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) commenced. Amongst other things, the ACL includes a new, national law for unsolicited consumer agreements, which replaces existing State and Territory laws on door-to-door sales and other direct marketing.
Door-to-door sales are only permitted between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm Monday to Friday, and 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Saturday. They are prohibited on Sundays and public holidays. However, a supplier or agent may visit you at any time if the appointment has been made with your consent.
Alas...
Quote:
Visits from politicians, those seeking donations for a charity, or market researchers are not unsolicited consumer agreements for the purposes of that law because there is no selling involved. This means the Do Not Knock sticker does not apply to those visits.
... so we still need those companion stickers.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil - Jerry Garcia

Old 24th April 2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
This means the Do Not Knock sticker does not apply to those visits.
This is presumably why telemarketers start their conversation with the "We are not selling anything" line when they call you up. I guess those laws don't cover junk mail either.
Old 24th April 2017, 11:47 AM
Mister Goaty

Quote:
Wrenn said View Post
Quote:
This means the Do Not Knock sticker does not apply to those visits.
This is presumably why telemarketers start their conversation with the "We are not selling anything" line when they call you up. I guess those laws don't cover junk mail either.
(Straight over their script) - "I am now recording this call. Please state the name and ABN of the company you are working for, and the same details for the company on whose behalf you are calling."

"This is an unlisted number. Please state how this number came to be in your call database. If you are unable to access this information, please transfer this call immediately to somebody who is allowed to do this."

"I am formally requesting that you add my number to your company's Do Not Call list. If you are unable to do this, please transfer this call immediately to somebody who is allowed to do this."

Bet you get a a hang-up.

Old 24th April 2017, 05:54 PM
Enough words.

I need one of these for my RV, except for random Have-a-chats. I get more people knocking on my door for a chat than I did when I lived in a house. Just strangers walking by on the foot path wanting to chat about motorhomes and holidaying etc Which I am NOT doing. It pisses me off. Maybe I'm just antisocial.. but they wouldn't just walk up to a stranger's house and knock on the door for a chat, let alone look in my windows as they walk by..

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 24th April 2017, 06:51 PM
Mister Goaty

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
I need one of these for my RV, except for random Have-a-chats. I get more people knocking on my door for a chat than I did when I lived in a house. Just strangers walking by on the foot path wanting to chat about motorhomes and holidaying etc Which I am NOT doing. It pisses me off. Maybe I'm just antisocial.. but they wouldn't just walk up to a stranger's house and knock on the door for a chat, let alone look in my windows as they walk by..
Easy! Stick up a set of charges per minute, against a number of likely topics. Add "talking to me about these things, unless by prior invitation, constitutes acceptance of these terms".

Or, as my beloved TEVW suggests, a "Baby Sleeping- Quiet" sign.

Laugh at knowledge is power laughed at this post
Old 24th April 2017, 08:57 PM
Enough words.

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
"Baby Sleeping- Quiet" sign.
Well.. I do have two cats that sleep most of the day...and they are my 'babies'..

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 1st May 2017, 04:00 AM
Mister Goaty

Somebody on Twitter seems to have covered most of it, and laminated their results.

Like knowledge is power, Voltairine liked this post
Old 10th September 2017, 06:55 PM
Mister Goaty

Step 4: PROFIT!

Like bruce1937 liked this post
Laugh at knowledge is power, Voltairine, LadyGreen laughed at this post