Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 19th September 2017, 08:05 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Call out, Goldenmane!

Call out Goldenmane!

Fuck oath!
Old 19th September 2017, 08:52 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: Call out, Goldenmane!

Heh.

I'm always wary about these sorts of claims, as they seem designed to fit my inherent biases and tendencies. I am, after all, a fucking messy cunt inclined to keeping odd hours and entertaining myself with problem solving often to the point of it interfering with other shit I should probably be doing.

So, of course I'm inclined to look kindly on something that makes me feel like that all means I'm smart.

One of the aspects of the article (and the original article it references, and the research that article cites) that I'm unsurprised by (unsurprisingly) is that creative, appropriately-targeted swearing is not, as commonly believed, a sign of a low IQ or poor/limited vocabulary. It's fucking hilarious, though, that I still routinely come across that accusation whenever someone is about to run face-first into Rule Fucking 3.

@Goldenmane3

Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 19th September 2017, 08:56 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
Well that's it for me then, confirmation bias up the woozaa.
Old 19th September 2017, 09:02 PM
AFA Member

Yes yes, but lets not forget that there are many incredibly intelligent humans that keep a clean desk and never swear and have a nobel prize hanging on their wall. Lets not develop a prejudice against the clean spacial and speaking folk, for fuck's sake.
Dislike Blue Lightning disliked this post
Laugh at Goldenmane, Blue Lightning laughed at this post
Old 20th September 2017, 12:57 PM
AFA Member

I like order in my universe, as there is so little order inside my skull. People or things should NOT be in the wrong place, or this causes anxiety and /or cognitive failure, eg. Not recognising a friend in a novel place.

I have to some extent, come to terms with a chaotic world. Partly aging, and partly tricks to compensate for the foolish way my brain is wired.

Another example, I solve Sudoku by "black box" methods. In other words, most of the time I am unaware of what rule or process I applied to get the right answer. The more complex the solution, the less likely I will be able to trace the specific logic, rules or evidence that led me to the conclusion.

My brain works this way for everything. Later, I can sometimes put logic and evidence to it, by "reverse engineering". But I am seldom sure that I used the that procedure or method that I invented to bring question and answer together.

Needless to say, this "gut feeling" type of processing is suspect, even to me. I dislike it intensely, and have tried to solve things consciously, but it works far less than I would prefer.

I will imagine a pattern, and that is how I see things. Only later do I analyse the pattern, but often the pattern fades from view [but may be stored somewhere that I can't access consciously] and so I don't know how the fuck I got the answer.

Fuckin nut job, but there you have it.

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 20th September 2017 at 12:59 PM.
Like Voltairine, Strato liked this post
Old 20th September 2017, 08:00 PM
Enough words.

Not to toot my own horn but that link describes me perfectly. I also only swear when it's appropriate, sometimes that's often, when discussing particular subjects!
Why does it feel so good though?

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 21st September 2017, 07:28 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
Not to toot my own horn but that link describes me perfectly. I also only swear when it's appropriate, sometimes that's often, when discussing particular subjects!
Cussing can also reduce pain perception.
Old 21st September 2017, 08:10 PM
Cuss-tard

Talking Re: Call out, Goldenmane!

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
The Bulldog can tell the difference between general Goldenmane Being Normally Sweary and Geoff's Getting Fucking Angry, which usually happens when I'm overheating and deeply sober.

@Goldenmane3

Old 21st September 2017, 08:21 PM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
If a traditional Catholic hits his hand moderately hard with a hammer, does he say "Oh, Purgatory!"?

If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce? - Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Old 22nd September 2017, 10:17 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
The Bulldog can tell the difference between general Goldenmane Being Normally Sweary and Geoff's Getting Fucking Angry, which usually happens when I'm overheating and deeply sober.
We will have to find you some refrigerated pantaloons!
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post