Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 22nd January 2010, 03:44 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: In my backyard

My last place had a koala in the backyard gum tree during mating season. And yes they are fiesty little buggers. I love that noise they make when they are annoyed.

@ Mr Black, the Tawny is probably my fav bird. They always seem so regal.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 22nd January 2010, 04:31 PM

@Praxis

THAT is terrific,thanks for posting it.

My house at the base of a cul de sac half way down a hill,and backs onto a linear park,along a creek, about 250 metres down the hill.

The most common birds around here are kookaburras,(often heard but seldom seen) Major Mitchells,Gallahs and Herons but above all,I get honey eaters in the huge bottle brush outside my kitchen window. I had a pair of Kookaburras visit once.(I've been here 19 years) and saw a koala in tree on the creek once..

I love living here.

So far I've been too slow to get photos.
Old 22nd January 2010, 05:15 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Yes, "regal" is a good word for it, the way a frogmouth can sit above it all, aloof and not deigning to even look down, as he sits in the ti-tree and poops on poor old Black, who's trying to mend the lawnmower in the shade.
Yep they have that look on their face like you should be eternally grateful that they deigned you good enough to poop on.

They just look at me like " you have absolutely no idea about anything"

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
Old 22nd January 2010, 05:57 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

For the last four years, a pair of Willie Wagtails have built their nest in a tree on my nature strip. Sadly, they've only ever managed to rear one brood to fledging; it would appear that the nestlings have been taken by a fuckin' cat during the night on the other occasions.

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:33 PM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

That is an ADORABLE pic, two dogs!!
Old 22nd January 2010, 08:11 PM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Here's a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets (Trichoglossus haematodus) feeding on the flowers of a Corymbia ficifolia (the tree formerly known as Eucalyptus ficifolia) this afternoon. The video was shot through the kitchen window, on an iPhone 3GS.

Julian

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Old 20th February 2010, 02:30 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Good pics Mr Black. Thanks for posting them.

Old 20th February 2010, 03:18 PM

This thread is making me happy!! I wish I lived in a little less suburbia and a little more bushland. That said, we have plenty of wildlife here, including a permanent Willy Wagtail nest in the rafters of our outdoor laundry which hatches 2, sometimes 3 broods per season and despite the fact that the wagtail's 2-in-the-morning mating antics keep us awake, we guard it very carefully.

We have one old outdoor cat who couldn't care less about them. In fact, he's been observed lazing around on the grass with the wagtails less than a metre away telling him off. And one day I went outside to feed him, and found him sauntering across the lawn with a couple of dozen noisy mynas squeaking and swooping at him. He had that look about him that people get when they are being swooped by magpies, head down, shoulders up, getting the hell out of the way! "damn birds, I'm just minding my own business, why can't they leave me aloooonee?" We also have 2 indoor cats who I am SURE would be right in that wagtail nest, which is why they are indoor cats.

I love that we have little broodlings every spring! It's awesome watching them grow and then finally learning to fly in the rafters! I also absolutely love it when I see them chasing off crows. Once, I spotted a very persistent crow meandering along the fence towards the nest area and so I went out to chase it off, but by the time I got out there, the wagtail couple had harassed it out of the neighbourhood!

We have the usual gecko population which keep the insects and cockroaches down, so we don't have cockies at all. But we do have about a zillion too many damn ants. Can't get rid of the buggers :/
Old 20th February 2010, 10:41 PM
Angel ~ duties: Mod

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Yesterday, in the shed... first the dog goes nutso and begins barking and pointing at some of the stacked boxes. (Why, oh why, when I've got the whole bloody place pulled apart and boxed, does the Interesting Thing have to be in the middle of a stack?)

TEVW begins pulling things apart to investigate. Not only are things being dropped, but I feel obliged to remind her that Ms Poodle gets that way around snakes. She grabs the dog and drops back a little, telling me she has seen some scales, "but they don't look like snake scales".

I finish making a bigger shambles of things and... She's right. Not terribly snaky at all. One large bluetongue, in fact. Not a docile beastie, either. Much hissing and lunging ensued, before the t-shirt trick prevailed.
Bluey was trying to bite you! Glad you didn't get bitten.

Having a dog makes me feel so much safer.
I would have showered Ms Poodle with Praise. (and a bone!)
Old 21st February 2010, 08:13 AM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

I love that this thread has had a bump up!

I must keep a look-out for our friend the echidna. I have a feeling he's back and snerfling around the front yard.

Here's a pic I took of him last year while he was scuttling around. So cute!