Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 20th June 2015, 11:42 AM

Default Re: A Slow Degradation of Mental Barriers

Quote:
Young people often accept things from adults on trust, and it is not the child's fault that trust has been betrayed.
Yes, why is it that in our society children are blamed for everything? One explanation is Christian ethics which in my opinion is too ready to blame the innocent child and spare the parents when they do the wrong thing.

Quote:
We are social animals, born helpless, and so genetically programmed to soak up the knowledge of our parents and community. We are saturated by our cultures, and the results are not uniformly good.
Aye.
Old 20th June 2015, 09:34 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
tmorg said View Post
Quote:
Young people often accept things from adults on trust, and it is not the child's fault that trust has been betrayed.
Yes, why is it that in our society children are blamed for everything? One explanation is Christian ethics which in my opinion is too ready to blame the innocent child and spare the parents when they do the wrong thing.

Quote:
We are social animals, born helpless, and so genetically programmed to soak up the knowledge of our parents and community. We are saturated by our cultures, and the results are not uniformly good.
Aye.
The evil days of corporal punishment, assault in schools are behind us now. Except in places like Egypt and the 'red states' of the US, which are also strongholds of religiosity. Sanctified sadism. Perverse custom. Creepy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School...ral_punishment

Proverbs 13:24 Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

18 'scripture verses' directly exhort to the practice, justifying it as God's way, because of the sin nature in the little miscreants, inherited from Adam and Eve. Whack it out of them. The bible is pretty much about sin and punishment.

http://biblehub.com/proverbs/13-24.htm
Old 22nd June 2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Proverbs 13:24 Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.
Precisely what I had in mind but I chose not quote it. This Christian "wisdom" is anything but! It is child abuse.