Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 10th April 2009, 03:38 PM
AFA Member

Default Confused Child

Hi Everyone.

I finally have the time to put finger to key and tell you guy's a little about me...I'll try to keep it short and to the point.

My family where all non- practicing Catholics...except for my Grandmother ,who tried to keep the faith thing going in the family. My mum and i lived with my Grandparents for a few years till we found our own place...in this time my Gran thought it would be a good idea if i went to the same Catholic school as my mum. At the time my mum had to work full time to support us ( this was the seventies and hard for a single mum to raise a child.)...so off i went to school with the naivety of a nine year old and a very curious mind...the curious mind was my down fall at the Catholic school..the nuns and priest (who in the seventies were the only ones teaching at the Catholics schools.) had told me to stop asking so many questions...such as "Why did Mary have baby with out sex" "How did Jesus come back from the dead." "Why was there a talking snake." and so on and on i went with all my nine year old questions...until the school head master at the time called my mum to the school, to tell her that he thinks her daughter has some form of discipline problem and needs to find another school for her Daughter. To this day i still can see the look on my mums face...this little icon says it all.

I never new at that age, i was fast becoming an Atheist...until my Grandfather sat me down a few days after i left the Catholic school to tell me about his own non - beliefs,and how hard it was for him (this is in the 1920s.) to grow up in a strict Catholic community...with all the fire and brimstone...and going to hell for all eternity. My Grandfather was the most gentle and kindest person i have ever know..we use to talk for hours about all things religion ( I still miss those talks.). He reassured me that you can live a good and happy life with out religion and that's the same message i tell my son ( Who by the way has the same inquisitive mind.)

All ended well..and lucky for me i married a wonderful Atheist man...his also a man of science...so for me that's a double bonus .

I no longer have my wonderful Grandparents around...but without my Grandfathers guidance and reassurance on not believing in God...i could have been a very different person, than the person I'm today.

There's so much more to tell..but no one what's to read 50 pages of my battles with Hillsong and the Anglicans...so I'll just keep posting on this site in the future.
Take care and i look forward to reading all your wonderful stories.

Last edited by 66 vegie; 10th April 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10th April 2009, 03:58 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Default Re: Confused Child

It's great when family are supportive, I found the opposite growing up in catholic schools, with all my family on both sides being catholic.

lastly, no offence veggie 66 but the use of comic sans should be banned with trying to read sections of text in my opinion, add to that olive green, and it becomes something quite hard to read for me I personally find it hard as I have to re-read lines and sections of words, as there is no consistent flow in the typeface. But that's just me The typeface took over from the message, rather than being something inconsequentialy supportive of easy reading.

(I have a long history of hating comic sans so PLEASE don't take it personally, it is a pet hate, so do what you will, just a comment from one of the masses against CS .. there are a lot of people that support it too!)

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 15th April 2009, 06:08 PM
AFA Member. Naked fool.

thank you for your lovely story vegie. Your grandfather sounds like a lovely man.

I have recently discovered that there are people in existence who are anti comic sans. It is cute and fun, what is the problem? I find it friendly.
Old 15th April 2009, 08:18 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

Quote:
66 vegie said View Post

Just for you davo...I've changed the colour....the text has to stay as my PC will not let me change it.
many thanks I feel special

As eclectic said, your grandfather sounds like he was a wonderful man, you were very lucky to have him growing up. I'm sure you are passing on those same solid foundations to your children, who are lucky to have someone like yourself there for them!

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Old 18th April 2009, 04:46 PM
Freethinker

Isnt that too wonderful for words! You were considered an ill-disciplined child in school because you asked questions... because you wanted to learn!!!!!!!!
This fact alone should, in a rational world, be enough to demolish the entire religious-schools argument. But we dont live in a rational world... it is getting crazier and scarier by the day. Back in the sixties the title of the musical, "Stop The World, I Want To Get Off" seemed a good joke, but now it is not so funny.... I would like to get off -- or at least out of the asylum. Hence the attraction of Sci-Fi and Fantasy books and movies, I suppose.
Old 19th April 2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Elbert said View Post
Isnt that too wonderful for words! You were considered an ill-disciplined child in school because you asked questions... because you wanted to learn!!!!!!!!
This fact alone should, in a rational world, be enough to demolish the entire religious-schools argument. But we dont live in a rational world... it is getting crazier and scarier by the day. Back in the sixties the title of the musical, "Stop The World, I Want To Get Off" seemed a good joke, but now it is not so funny.... I would like to get off -- or at least out of the asylum. Hence the attraction of Sci-Fi and Fantasy books and movies, I suppose.
With you Elbert; been wanting to get off the planet for ages now! but of course, that's not viable, but certainly, we will ever been able to get out of the asylum, with the world getting madder and madder, or so it seems.
Old 5th November 2015, 07:50 AM

My story , aged ten, mum sent me to sunday school, we were all given a drawing of some crazy person with huge wings, what a load of shit i thought, end of story

http://tinyurl.com/klw7zbj Arctic volume
Old 5th November 2015, 12:19 PM

Great story. Your grandfather sounds wonderful. At around the same age, and also at a Catholic school, I had similar feelings about Christianity. But rather than ask too many questions I came to the conclusion that nobody else truly believed either and they were all just playing along to shelter kids from the harsh realities of our existence.
Old 9th November 2015, 04:00 PM

Default Traditional morality: don't ask questions!

Alice Miller writes about traditional morality in her brilliant book "For Your Own Good" and what she calls "poisonous pedagogy" which is basically training your children to be obedient at the expense of the child's vitality. I grew up secular but I was not allowed to ask questions as a child. The implications for this hidden cruelty are immense. I have no problem with the font.