Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 27th April 2014, 01:12 AM

Default My Story

As a youngster I asked questions, and I innocently believed what I was told. When I think back to the past I get frustrated by the half-baked or simply wrong answers I was given by adults over the years. Not just regarding the origins of the universe or the meaning of life but lots of questions. Parents and other figures in my life never seemed to say "I don't know" in response to a question and Google wasn't around to answer things either.

A lot of off-the-cuff stuff was thrown around in the 90s and fact checking didn't seem to go far. Curious kids like me often got led down a garden path for the sake of protecting one adults ego. Religion was no exception.

I was told that God created the world, and that there was someone looking out for me that loved me and with a plan for me. This was fantastic and I was happy to know this, although my memory is very vague I think God pulled me through some tough doubtful times when I was a kid. Not the angry, petty god of literalists and creationists but just an infinitely wise being that had my back.

The other half of the equation was the naturopathy, crystal healing and other bizarre things. All this left me with a head full of confusing dribble, I asked questions like "How does it work" and each was met with an answer which I believed as a trusting kid.

At some point I developed critical thinking, I think it was around the same time I learnt that "F = ma" and the scientific method. My passion for science emancipated me from the fallacies and led me to question everything. Religion, crystal healing and any other fake things were quickly dispelled as the answers I was given couldn't stand up to much scrutiny.

I was an ever questioning agnostic, still clinging to that god who got me through some tricky times, still wanting that safety and security that comes from an all knowing bodyguard in the sky. Adolescence was a trying time and that little comfort no doubt helped me through a trial or two.

After high school life seems to go into easy mode. And instead of relying on any kind of god I relied on my past achievements and grew more happy and self confident as I did. I simply didn't need my safety blanket anymore, I felt safe within my self and support network.

And thats it, I didn't have a revelation I just outgrew it. Any notion of a god became obsolete as I learnt about the true origins of the Universe. The more knowledge I got the more free I felt and I have been reading ever since.

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 27th April 2014, 09:03 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: My Story

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 27th April 2014, 09:22 AM

Reading your blog at the moment. It's good stuff what you're doing over there.
Old 27th April 2014, 04:19 PM

Thank you

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 27th April 2014, 04:21 PM
Like a supermod without the lycra

Thanks for faddishworm
My own is similar to yours. There was no earth shattering revelation or crisis of faith.
I just grew out of it
Old 27th April 2014, 05:04 PM
AFA Member

Thanks from me too, a great post. Very much the sort of thing we need more of.

EDM
Old 27th April 2014, 06:32 PM

Thanks guys

Old 27th April 2014, 11:04 PM
What Me Deluded?

But fad, I see you haven't debunked pyramids or Dr Bach flower remedies.
Old 28th April 2014, 02:46 AM

Ha ha yes, I can't say no to Dr Bach maybe I need some Centaury flower

Old 2nd May 2014, 05:03 PM

Born atheist and see no logical reason to change ..