Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 17th November 2014, 09:49 PM
What Me Deluded?

Default Re: My story

Absorbing read Vegegirl.

What is it that enables the odd individual to escape religion? I respect the courage and that someone values their autonomy.
Old 18th November 2014, 12:28 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Thanks Vegegirl! An inspiring read !
Old 18th November 2014, 10:33 PM

Hi Vegegirl, it only gets better (sorta) from here!
Old 23rd November 2014, 05:39 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Great read Vegegirl, thanks.

I grew up as an atheist so I don't know what the loss of faith thing is like. However I do know about the "and then I had a kid" thing. As soon as my daughter started state school in Queensland the fundies were after her brain. It was so overt and horrible that I became an atheist activist a year before Dawkins' "The God Delusion" came out.

How are you going to protect your child's mind? Does your husband have ideas about this?

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 21st January 2015, 10:08 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

No problem,
and thanks for your story
Old 22nd January 2015, 01:57 AM
The Rickest Rick

Thankyou for sharing.
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:54 PM

I'm so very happy for you Vegegirl, be as gentle with your partner as you can, I tried with all softness to show my wife how just a few of the things she believed in were quite literally psychology tricks, astrology etc etc, things I could reference and videos by famous people showing how to do it. Then mid conversation she exploded at me! It was a side I'd never seen in my wife before, a raging fire of emotion I brought about by indirectly telling her she was fooled and I believe she would not, could not accept the humiliation of being so thoroughly tricked for so many years. So again, tread as lightly as you would on a bindi patch without shoes
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:03 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

VG - welcome. Thanks for the background.
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Postulator said View Post
I'm so very happy for you Vegegirl, be as gentle with your partner as you can, I tried with all softness to show my wife how just a few of the things she believed in were quite literally psychology tricks, astrology etc etc, things I could reference and videos by famous people showing how to do it. Then mid conversation she exploded at me! It was a side I'd never seen in my wife before, a raging fire of emotion I brought about by indirectly telling her she was fooled and I believe she would not, could not accept the humiliation of being so thoroughly tricked for so many years. So again, tread as lightly as you would on a bindi patch without shoes
I think this is why the majority of ordinary every day people refuse to look at the fantasies and irrational beliefs they have. I had to admit how much of my life had been wasted on mind fuck games.

It usually takes a genuine life crises to force to look at your core values.
Then some people suicide when they are forced to.

That is what us atheists are trying to do of each other society and all the religiousity.
To destroy our core values and self distruct to some degree.

Last edited by timewave; 23rd January 2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12th August 2015, 01:20 PM

Great story, somewhat similar to mine. Once you do start to question religion the cracks start to appear, until it all falls away.

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Great read Vegegirl, thanks.

I grew up as an atheist so I don't know what the loss of faith thing is like. However I do know about the "and then I had a kid" thing. As soon as my daughter started state school in Queensland the fundies were after her brain. It was so overt and horrible that I became an atheist activist a year before Dawkins' "The God Delusion" came out.

How are you going to protect your child's mind? Does your husband have ideas about this?
Its hard to lose your faith, you are indoctrinated at birth, if they ram it home long enough and hard enough you just believe. You just have to see suicide bombers to know it can be done. Thats why religious schools exist, its to take the youth before they can think for themselves, and then tell them how to think.

The best way to protect a childs mind against religious indoctrination is to tell them to keep asking alot questions, and not to accept once source of information. Looking at things at many different angles allows a child to decide for themselves what they want to believe. Religion abhors thinking, they want you just to have 'faith' that their claims are right. If all children were taught to ask more questions and think for themselves, I'd imagine religion would disappear....

Last edited by LoneWulf; 12th August 2015 at 01:23 PM.
Like DanDare liked this post