Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 27th May 2015, 11:31 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Praise the holy spirit, I'm an Atheist!

Just watch out for some of our "totalitarian secular humanist" ways..

Last edited by joele; 27th May 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 1st June 2015, 07:32 AM

Poorly, but I've gone on the offensive and started smashing him with atheism. My passive approach rewarded me with nothing but silence and is not getting my son any closer to meeting his grandfather.
I ended the last message (last night) with, "You have to use metaphors, similes, and quotes from your book of fairy tales because you don't have available to you the one thing that actually matters... facts."
Old 1st June 2015, 01:35 PM
What Me Deluded?

I sympathise with you idiosyncrassy. Could you get your dad to read The Blind Watchmaker, Richard Dawkins? I saw it in Dymocks.

The fabricators of the gospels have (the mythical) Jesus telling his disciples to forsake the infidels among family members. Cults.

Surely this unavoidable rift with his own progeny isn't something your dad is reconciled to as the price of fealty to his Jesus. Half of your genes come from him.

The Blind Watchmaker is the book I would recommend. Perhaps not give it, but lend it to him after you have read it. That way he may respect it more. Dawkins is a masterful writer too.

But your dad will need to stay his implicit hostility to it, disregard the traffic in his head from cognitive dissonance, or he may fail to get what the book is saying, let alone remember any of it.

Ordering online:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Blind-.../9780141026169

All the best. You are among friends well familiar with family disapproval.
Old 7th June 2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Strato said View Post
I sympathise with you idiosyncrassy. Could you get your dad to read The Blind Watchmaker, Richard Dawkins? I saw it in Dymocks.

The fabricators of the gospels have (the mythical) Jesus telling his disciples to forsake the infidels among family members. Cults.

Surely this unavoidable rift with his own progeny isn't something your dad is reconciled to as the price of fealty to his Jesus. Half of your genes come from him.

The Blind Watchmaker is the book I would recommend. Perhaps not give it, but lend it to him after you have read it. That way he may respect it more. Dawkins is a masterful writer too.

But your dad will need to stay his implicit hostility to it, disregard the traffic in his head from cognitive dissonance, or he may fail to get what the book is saying, let alone remember any of it.

Ordering online:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Blind-.../9780141026169

All the best. You are among friends well familiar with family disapproval.
He outright refuses to read or watch any counter-theist material. I agree Dawkins is a good writer, and I'll check that book out for myself. But there is going to be a lot of work in between now and actually being able to get him to indulge any atheist material.