Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 13th January 2017, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Causes of Strange Facial Reactions

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Alternatively, given my hearing disability (which is compensated for significantly via something but I'm too shy to disclose here so please respect my omission of these details)
Your 22 inch cock? Don't be shy, Azu... we've all got one!
Old 14th January 2017, 12:10 AM
What Me Deluded?

It's OK Az, I have a big nose too.

Laurence Sterne's mid 18th century volumes The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy had the nose as a metaphor for the phallus, so that's some compensation.
Old 14th January 2017, 12:19 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

It's not that. It's specific, something which you don't have - in other words, assistive/medical technology, e.g. bionics, etc. When your eyes are impaired, you wear glasses.
Old 14th January 2017, 09:39 PM
AFA Member

It sounds to me like you're experiencing some paranoia, Az. I try to remember that no matter how maladjusted i feel at times, all the other people who seem so perfectly adapted to society, are just more successfully pretending than i am. Being human can be a very awkward condition, especially when you place value on rationally analysing everything.

Anyway, who wants to be a vanilla human living in the burbs doing everything, and behaving, in a way that everyone expects? Not me. Your contributions on this forum for me are colorful, unpredictable, weird, interesting, thought provoking, bizarre and creative but most importantly they contribute significantly to the protean quality of this forum, which i think is cool about our afa bulletin.

Last edited by pipbarber; 14th January 2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 15th January 2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
It's not that. It's specific, something which you don't have - in other words, assistive/medical technology, e.g. bionics, etc. When your eyes are impaired, you wear glasses.
An extension?
Old 16th January 2017, 12:41 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
You are indeed a good-natured person, Azu. If you weren't, then you wouldn't be held in such affection here.

However, I would suggest that these people thought nothing of you - just another person in the crowd - but you misread their emotions. A kind of hyper-empathy which goes awry.
Sorry to derail but I'm quite surprised if not flattered that you consider me a good-natured person - I already thought until now that I am an apparently neutral person in most people's perceptions, let alone being a slightly dumb person for not engaging with others in a substantive way as expected, as to why most posters seem indifferent and apathetic from engaging with me on this forum - unless you're trying to console me, ha.

I like the assumption that I could be exercising hyper-empathy, and I'd be surprised and happy if I was really misreading their emotions - so this would change my attitude in hindsight not to worry anymore.
I agree with Spearthrower. I perceive you through our interaction as good natured.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like Mark Sean liked this post
Old 16th January 2017, 12:50 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Some psych reading:

Cognitive Distortion
spotlighting effect

For some laughs

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.