Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > General Science News

General Science News Got an idea, article or video you want to share on Science, Philosophy or Evolution?

Old 25th June 2017, 01:41 PM
AFA Member

Default Mobile phones will rot out brainz? [FREE]

Ward, A. F., et al. (2017). "Brain Drain: The Mere Presence of One’s Own Smartphone Reduces Available Cognitive Capacity." Journal of the Association for Consumer Research 2(2): 140-154.
Quote:
Our smartphones enable—and encourage—constant connection to information, entertainment, and each other. They put the world at our fingertips, and rarely leave our sides. Although these devices have immense potential to improve welfare, their persistent presence may come at a cognitive cost. In this research, we test the “brain drain” hypothesis that the mere presence of one’s own smartphone may occupy limited-capacity cognitive resources, thereby leaving fewer resources available for other tasks and undercutting cognitive performance. Results from two experiments indicate that even when people are successful at maintaining sustained attention—as when avoiding the temptation to check their phones—the mere presence of these devices reduces available cognitive capacity. Moreover, these cognitive costs are highest for those highest in smartphone dependence. We conclude by discussing the practical implications of this smartphone-induced brain drain for consumer decision-making and consumer welfare.
[FREE]
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/691462

I know this to be anecdotally true. In classes where normally bright students had their mobile phones on, their contribution to class was only marginally better than mashed potato. As a fascist educator therefore, I insisted on phones being switched off in tutes.

Plus one student pointed out a minor error when I was teaching the Chicago referencing style, and looked it up on the internet. She was indeed correct, but I still maintained my modification of the Chicago was more logical, even if incorrect.

Anyway, never let the facts get in the way of a good story, because my way of teaching it simplified the system. I like to get the gist across first, then dot the "I"s and cross the "T"'s.

Referencing styles can be complex and have lots of rules. Not easy to teach in a limited time. Anyway, enough of these apologetics, I was fucking wrong!
Old 26th June 2017, 02:54 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Default Re: Mobile phones will rot out brainz? [FREE]

I have suspected this for some time now.

Always good to get evidence.