Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 15th November 2017, 07:53 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: It's back! Global Atheist Convention 2018

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
I'm keen.
Wanna start a conspiracy?

If so, what medium will we use to discuss?
I was thinking Google Hangouts? Skype is also an option, I guess.

I'm a bit restricted by the dodgy tech at my command. I'd like them to be recorded, but doing that with Skype has proven problematic with previous podcast attempts.

@Goldenmane3

Old 15th November 2017, 07:55 PM
Because Dickmas

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm keen.
Wanna start a conspiracy?

If so, what medium will we use to discuss?
I was thinking Google Hangouts? Skype is also an option, I guess.

I'm a bit restricted by the dodgy tech at my command. I'd like them to be recorded, but doing that with Skype has proven problematic with previous podcast attempts.
I has a cunning plan for recording Skype vox. Will explain shortly.

I'll be reading Free Speculative Fiction Online till we get some more content.

Thank Goldenmane thanked this post
Old 16th November 2017, 08:08 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Quote:

I has a cunning plan for recording Skype vox. Will explain shortly.
Do tell. I have a skype thingie too.
Old 17th November 2017, 12:54 AM
AFA Member

Stepping back a few pages. I was interested in the event. I have been steadfast atheist for a long time now, but this place has really driven me in a different direction. To me, it seems that atheism has turned into elitism, and that pisses me off like nothing else. I have been banned from here several times now for suggesting that certain people's subjective opinion is bullshit, yet when called out on the subjective opinion I am required to provide evidence. To be honest is not worth an argument. I see it as those who are confident win the battle over those who are intelligent. Kinda reeks of religion to me.

I am not stupid, but I am not a fast thinker either. I have to walk away, digest what people say, research the topic and formulate a response. When you get shit canned by confident cocky people who really cant think critically then you just walk away. I call it intellectually bulling. I see that here a lot, and no doubt I will get pulled up on it and ask to provide evidence. I can do that, I can go back to when I was last banned and provide evidence, but I cant be bothered. The intellectual bullies have driven that desire out of me.

So why did I not buy a ticket sooner? The last time I was excited to attend. I wanted to see hitchens, who is responsible for my desire to question even my own most confident thoughts. This time time, I looked for those who thought the same way, and I met nothing. I am not suggesting those who were in the line up were crap, in fact the opposite. I learnt a lot from the last GAC from people I have never heard of. But this time, the burning desire to seek out people like myself has been lost, and this place is mostly to blame. Sorry to say that, and sorry to those wonderful people who I have met through the AFA forums.

I also renewed my membership to the AFA this year, and it will probably be the last time I do. I am not sure where my money goes, and to be honest I think my money would be better spent elsewhere.

Edit: I typed this out fast, probably a lot of grammar errors. I shall revisit it in the morning.
Old 17th November 2017, 08:33 AM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
Pearo said View Post
Stepping back a few pages. I was interested in the event. I have been steadfast atheist for a long time now, but this place has really driven me in a different direction. To me, it seems that atheism has turned into elitism, and that pisses me off like nothing else. I have been banned from here several times now for suggesting that certain people's subjective opinion is bullshit, yet when called out on the subjective opinion I am required to provide evidence. To be honest is not worth an argument. I see it as those who are confident win the battle over those who are intelligent. Kinda reeks of religion to me.

I am not stupid, but I am not a fast thinker either. I have to walk away, digest what people say, research the topic and formulate a response. When you get shit canned by confident cocky people who really cant think critically then you just walk away. I call it intellectually bulling. I see that here a lot, and no doubt I will get pulled up on it and ask to provide evidence. I can do that, I can go back to when I was last banned and provide evidence, but I cant be bothered. The intellectual bullies have driven that desire out of me.

So why did I not buy a ticket sooner? The last time I was excited to attend. I wanted to see hitchens, who is responsible for my desire to question even my own most confident thoughts. This time time, I looked for those who thought the same way, and I met nothing. I am not suggesting those who were in the line up were crap, in fact the opposite. I learnt a lot from the last GAC from people I have never heard of. But this time, the burning desire to seek out people like myself has been lost, and this place is mostly to blame. Sorry to say that, and sorry to those wonderful people who I have met through the AFA forums.

I also renewed my membership to the AFA this year, and it will probably be the last time I do. I am not sure where my money goes, and to be honest I think my money would be better spent elsewhere.

Edit: I typed this out fast, probably a lot of grammar errors. I shall revisit it in the morning.
I won't waste a lot of time on this and find I can just cut and paste what I said here the last time you said you were quitting the forum for good:

Quote:
odd said View Post
What is interesting is that it is only the context supplied by Pearo's puerile exit posts that revealed what he meant by his earlier almost incomprehensible posts.

You reveal a fundamental flaw with your understanding of this forum, Pearo, - whether any user 'likes' what you have to say is totally irrelevant - the relevant question is 'can you back it up?' Like all the MRA's before you, you cannot.

You join some rather lacklustre company, the 'say shit they can't defend and then blame the 'left wing nut jobs who called them on it' crew. Congratulations. Bye.
You have never been suspended for saying someone's subjective opinion is bullshit - it is the other way around - people have called you on the subjective opinions you have posted and you have been unable to defend them with evidence.

[Please note, the rest of this is from me personally, I am a mod here, but I have nothing to do with the management of the AFA and I should not be taken to be speaking for them.]

As for how the AFA spent the $35 you gave them, I imagine it was a minor contribution towards the hosting of the website, the magazine, media campaigns and some office supplies. Lots of dedicated people donate many hundreds/thousands of hours of their time for nothing to make the AFA work. Keep your $35, buy some cheese to go with your whine.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess

Last edited by odd; 17th November 2017 at 08:37 AM.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Voltairine thanked this post
Old 17th November 2017, 05:49 PM
AFA Member

Since you want to go back to that particular one, it's ok to make sweeping generalisations like
Quote:
it is a Thing here for blokes to go out, get drunk, and then just wander out of the bar on to the footpath and hit someone in the head
yet when I call bullshit on that its not ok? Am I missing something here?

Quote:
odd said View Post
Keep your $35, buy some cheese to go with your whine.
Thanks for that advice. Maybe someone who actually knows where my money goes can speak up?

BTW, the actual reason I came here yesterday was to investigate what was happening with the GAC as I was entertaining the idea of purchasing a ticket.
Old 17th November 2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Pearo said View Post
Since you want to go back to that particular one, it's ok to make sweeping generalisations like
Quote:
it is a Thing here for blokes to go out, get drunk, and then just wander out of the bar on to the footpath and hit someone in the head
yet when I call bullshit on that its not ok? Am I missing something here?
Yes, just like you were when you left last time - but you can take that up in that thread if you like
Quote:
Pearo said View Post
Quote:
odd said View Post
Keep your $35, buy some cheese to go with your whine.
Thanks for that advice. Maybe someone who actually knows where my money goes can speak up?

BTW, the actual reason I came here yesterday was to investigate what was happening with the GAC as I was entertaining the idea of purchasing a ticket.
You were entertaining buying a ticket to an event with feminist speakers on the bill? lol.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 17th November 2017, 07:37 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
I'm keen.
what he said
Old 17th November 2017, 10:04 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
odd said View Post
You were entertaining buying a ticket to an event with feminist speakers on the bill? lol.
There were speakers at the last GAC that I did not like, but I still enjoyed it.

And for what its worth, I dont have a problem with feminists in general, but I do have a problem with some. No different to my opinions on religious folk.
Old 20th November 2017, 08:10 AM

Mod note: A few posts have been moved to this thread.