Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 17th November 2017, 10:47 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: It's back! Global Atheist Convention 2018

Quote:
Pearo said View Post
Since you want to go back to that particular one, it's ok to make sweeping generalisations like
Quote:
it is a Thing here for blokes to go out, get drunk, and then just wander out of the bar on to the footpath and hit someone in the head
yet when I call bullshit on that its not ok? Am I missing something here?
I must be missing something, because I went back and read all of your posts, and didn't find one in which you "call bullshit" on this.

The only time I can see you referencing anything related to this is incoherent, and I think I recall someone asking for clarification. It may even have been me.

To be completely fair, I'm not entirely on board with the description provided nor the way it was dealt with either in the media or in general. I recognise that "Coward Punch" has a ring to it that may do the job, but we had terminology that painted it in the dishonour it deserved already.

But the phenomenon fucking exists. I've been subject to it. Punched in the back of the head for no reason more compelling than infantile tantrum.

@Goldenmane3

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 19th November 2017, 10:58 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
I must be missing something, because I went back and read all of your posts, and didn't find one in which you "call bullshit" on this.
Ok, I will admit after looking back at that thread I may have been a bit convoluted. But looking at some responses it was understood what I was suggesting.

Quote:
The only time I can see you referencing anything related to this is incoherent, and I think I recall someone asking for clarification. It may even have been me.

To be completely fair, I'm not entirely on board with the description provided nor the way it was dealt with either in the media or in general. I recognise that "Coward Punch" has a ring to it that may do the job, but we had terminology that painted it in the dishonour it deserved already.
I am not debating that it does not happen. I am just stating that making blanket statements that its a "thing" is incorrect.

If I make the claim, then I should back it up. If you make the claim without evidence then I reserve the right to call bullshit.

Quote:
But the phenomenon fucking exists. I've been subject to it. Punched in the back of the head for no reason more compelling than infantile tantrum.
The "phenomenon" exists, just as any other crime exists.

I know several people that have copped punches to the back of the head, and I know the family of one very high profile case that has lost a child to it. But I know a lot of 'blokes' and its not common to "get drunk, and then just wander out of the bar on to the footpath and hit someone in the head". How many "blokes" do you know that "get drunk, and then just wander out of the bar on to the footpath and hit someone in the head"?
Old 19th November 2017, 11:05 PM
Cuss-tard

There were sufficient examples for a media campaign featuring Danny Green to be in existence a couple of years ago.

Looks like it's still going: http://cowardspunchcampaign.com/

@Goldenmane3

Old 20th November 2017, 08:01 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
There were sufficient examples for a media campaign featuring Danny Green to be in existence a couple of years ago.

"sufficient examples" still does not mean its a "thing"

From what I could find from ABS stats (which are vague at best), about 5 cases a year from a population of around 12 million males. Stabbing deaths in homes are more common, yet I don't here people going around saying "Its a thing in Australia to walk into a private residence and stab someone to death".

Likewise, most common assaults occur in private residences (42%; source AIC) as opposed to the 23% on the street. So the bullshit statement that its a "thing to walk out of a pub and punch someone" is still a weak argument at best.

Anyway, I refuse to continue debating this, its pointless. Its like arguing if god exists with an Adelaide street preacher. The comment was a sweeping generalisation.
Old 20th November 2017, 08:11 AM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Default Re: Suprised there is no thread for mens issues?

Mod note: The above 4 posts were moved from this thread.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 20th November 2017, 06:55 PM
Merry Mythmass!

I would hazard a guess that there could be many more coward punches that are unreported due to only minor damage or cowardly swings that miss. Lots of guys don't report such things as it's not 'manly'.
This is only speculation of course, clearly I can't back it up with evidence.
Old 21st November 2017, 02:04 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
I would hazard a guess that there could be many more coward punches that are unreported due to only minor damage or cowardly swings that miss. Lots of guys don't report such things as it's not 'manly'.
This is only speculation of course, clearly I can't back it up with evidence.
For me the statistics on violence correlate with experience over my entire life. I went to a boys' school and there was a constant threat of violence. When I was 16 I was on the receiving end of a coward punch: another boy hit me pretty hard, he was behind me and I didn't see it coming. Fortunately I didn't fall to the ground and sustain a bad head injury, which is a risk in these cases. The effect was more an emotional trauma, I had a delayed reaction and burst into tears 20 minutes later!

This was the move known as a "king hit". When I got out of school I tried to avoid any individuals or situations where there might be violence, but you still experience it, or the threat of it, if you live a typical life, going out at night, mixing with people. Most recently I was menaced by a man because I'd called out his friend for littering.

Never ever have I felt the threat of female violence. To suggest there should be some sort of equivalent in the name of, ahem, equality, is pretty ridiculous and fact-defying, like Trump saying there was misbehaviour on all sides, when murderous neo-nazis came to town and decent people emerged to oppose them. If male violence is addressed, I am very happy, because I've been on the receiving end of it. And of course all violence is to be condemned at the same time. But let's not be in denial.
Like two dogs, wolty liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 21st November 2017, 07:53 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Pearo said View Post
Quote:

"sufficient examples" still does not mean its a "thing"

From what I could find from ABS stats (which are vague at best), about 5 cases a year from a population of around 12 million males. Stabbing deaths in homes are more common, yet I don't here people going around saying "Its a thing in Australia to walk into a private residence and stab someone to death".

Likewise, most common assaults occur in private residences (42%; source AIC) as opposed to the 23% on the street. So the bullshit statement that its a "thing to walk out of a pub and punch someone" is still a weak argument at best.

Anyway, I refuse to continue debating this, its pointless. Its like arguing if god exists with an Adelaide street preacher. The comment was a sweeping generalisation.
Define "a thing".

@Goldenmane3

Old 23rd November 2017, 06:21 PM
SIR Vacuous cunt
Administrator

I've suffered all sorts of stuff during my life, and I speak with friends about it, and raise it when concerned ... but the same actions that have happened to me are missing the construct of the disproportionate occurrence of these things in society that occurs with women.

To answer your question that's probably why I haven't felt the need to network with other males over the issues, because they lack that context. I haven't posted because I have not felt the need to. Its not that I couldn't. I think there are a lot of women that do the same thing, its just the disproportion that has us see it. So arguing that its disproportionate, I tend to go .. no shit!?! heh

I think it gets raised by women quite rightly, not because of the individual cases, all atrocious whether male or female, but because of the fact that the violence and issues are disproportionate, and that there is social power constructs that women endure from day one on this planet that contribute to statistically significant systemic socio-economic disadvantage for women as a whole.

I think also that what can happen is males will tend to bring this up in the black and white of individualism, rather than considering the broader context around the issues that are actually part of the damage that occurs. It is not just a particular situation, it is its contribution to a whole facet that is just rejected in the argument.

I don't think there is anything stopping males from raising these issues, I certainly don't think it is because women have raised how it relates to them, its much like those that attack the idea of black lives matter in saying that all lives matter. Saying such does not discount that at all.

(delta p)*(delta q) >= h/(4*pi) ----- An explanation of Logical Fallacies : http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies ----- ferox deo vacuus vinco ----- How do I post video etc here?
Thank two dogs thanked this post
Old 23rd November 2017, 07:54 PM
AFA Member

The "Men's" issue that I have experienced, is of our own making, that is a reluctance to ask for help or support when things are tough, personally I have found the comradery available at the Men's Shed to be supportive but I still would not ask for help if I needed it and that is a problem that many men seem to have.