Old 16th July 2017, 08:40 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Re: President Donald Trump

And also, for this one (original website here) -

Old 16th July 2017, 09:35 PM
AFA Member

Fascinating stuff Wolty

The days of intellectual labouring are so inspiring. One can just imagine the free discussions that those folks had on the worksite. Gone the romantacism of change it all revolution, or even of republicanism, just cold hard realism.

Wilhelm Reich in spite of his shortcomings in the mass psychology of fascism wrote another amazing analysis of the shortcomings of individuals not taking responsibility for themselves adding up to the glorification of would be saviours.

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Inside the minds of Trump’s ‘true believers’

Possibly missing different classes of Trump voters by nonetheless a good article.

Quote:
When Donald Trump gave the commencement address at Liberty University this spring, he told the graduates that “America has always been the land of dreams because America is a nation of true believers.” Trump argued that, in America, “we don’t worship government; we worship God.”

I suspect the president was unaware that the term “true believer” was made famous more than 65 years ago in Eric Hoffer’s 1951 book, “The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements.” Hoffer had no academic training, having worked mainly as a longshoreman. He wrote “The True Believer” in reaction to the rise of fascism, Nazism and communism. Against all odds, the book became a best-seller.

Hoffer shrewdly analyzed the forces that spark nationalist and totalitarian movements. The irony of Trump’s “true believers” remark probably escaped both the president and his audience.

As a psychiatrist, I’m interested in how vulnerable groups can be manipulated by misleading rhetoric. I believe there are striking parallels between Trump’s rhetoric and the factors Hoffer explored.
Quote:
Targeting the true believer

Hoffer wrote, “For men to plunge headlong into an undertaking of vast change, they must be intensely discontented yet not destitute.” They must also have “an extravagant conception of the prospects and potentialities of the future” and “be wholly ignorant of the difficulties involved in their vast undertaking. Experience is a handicap.”

Much of Trump’s campaign was based on promises of vast change, such as the immediate repeal of Obamacare. These promises never took into account the great difficulties of radical change. Indeed, in late February 2017, Trump acknowledged, “Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.” And, of course, Trump had no political or public sector experience to inform his most controversial decisions. Yet he masterfully parlayed this shortcoming into the virtue of being an “outsider” battling an entrenched Washington establishment.

Hoffer viewed “true believers” as craving “a new life – a rebirth – or, failing this, a chance to acquire new elements of pride, confidence, hope, a sense of purpose and worth by an identification with a holy cause.” Trump’s repeated promise to “make America great again” spoke to such a longing among disaffected voters. This message was often fused with appeals to evangelical Christians. Indeed, writing in The New Republic, Sarah Posner observed that “Trump effectively played to the religious right’s own roots in white supremacy.”
More at link.
Old 17th July 2017, 02:49 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Trump Jr.’s Russia meeting sure sounds like a Russian intelligence operation

Quote:
By Rolf Mowatt-Larssen
July 14
Rolf Mowatt-Larssen is the director of the Intelligence and Defense Project at Harvard’s Belfer Center. He served for three years as director of intelligence and counterintelligence at the Department of Energy and for 23 years as a CIA intelligence officer in domestic and international posts.

Donald Trump Jr. is seeking to write off as a nonevent his meeting last year with a Russian lawyer who was said to have damaging information about Hillary Clinton. “It was such a nothing,” he told Fox News’s Sean Hannity on Tuesday. “There was nothing to tell.”

But everything we know about the meeting — from whom it involved to how it was set up to how it unfolded — is in line with what intelligence analysts would expect an overture in a Russian influence operation to look like. It bears all the hallmarks …

My read, as someone who has been part of the U.S. intelligence community for more than four decades …
Interesting detail at the link.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post
Old 17th July 2017, 05:34 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Quote:
He told Reuters he had asked Mr Putin flat-out if his government meddled in the US election.

"I said, 'Did you do it?' He said, 'No, I did not, absolutely not.' I then asked him a second time, in a totally different way. He said, 'Absolutely not.'"
Well that's settled then, he asked Putin two different ways.

Trump: Did you do it.

Putin: No.

Trump: Are you sure you do it.

Putin: Yes I am sure I didn't do it.

What a brilliant investigative technique, we must introduce it to our criminal courts, obviously anyone who says they didn't do it twice to two different questions musy be innocent.
I think for it to be legally binding they have to deny it three times.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black, Blue Lightning laughed at this post
Old 17th July 2017, 06:09 PM

So this wall where everyone is getting hit by flying bags of drugs... I didn't realise it was somewhere one went with the family for a picnic or nice walk come weekend?
Laugh at Blue Lightning laughed at this post
Old 17th July 2017, 07:23 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Soup Dragon said View Post
So this wall where everyone is getting hit by flying bags of drugs... I didn't realise it was somewhere one went with the family for a picnic or nice walk come weekend?
No, its somewhere one goes with a wheelbarrow and a fast getaway car, in fact i've just bought a plane ticket to get there, car hire arranged, wheelbarrow from Cosco somewhere along the way...happy days...
Old 18th July 2017, 06:23 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

someone posted this on Robert Reich's FB page today

Quote:
Dear Senator McCain,
I wish for you renewed health and a speedy recovery. As you know, all has been on hold around the passing of the repeal and replace Senate healthcare bill while you have been recovering from eye surgery. How ironic that the Senate awaits your return to acquire the vote they can’t afford to lose if they want to pass that bill which will throw 20-22 million Americans off the healthcare rolls leaving them uninsured, exposed, and vulnerable.
You, Senator, who has within the last week experienced how critically important it is to ones quality of life to have full access to healthcare, should be the hero leading the charge against such a disgraceful outcome. I hope as you recover, you are inspired to have a change of heart, mind, and consciousness and affirm that the most vulnerable children, elders, and disabled citizens of the richest country in the world deserve to receive healthcare.
It is shameful that America is the only developed nation in the world with such an undeveloped sense of core values that we don’t collectively believe healthcare is a right for all citizens. In order to contribute and give back to our communities to the fullest of their potential, people need the opportunity to live quality, healthy lives.
That is what will make America greater than our past. What we need now are heroes, not minions. You were once perceived a hero; can we count on you again?
Old 18th July 2017, 06:33 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

https://www.facebook.com/Vox/videos/729397050581233/

Compilation of Fox News excuses for Don Jr meeting

it is really astounding that this level of deceit is in the public domain. makes you think they should be able to charge reporters with malpractice like they do for other professions
Old 18th July 2017, 07:41 PM
What Me Deluded?

A pox on Fox.
Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM
What Me Deluded?

Things done in a corner. What the regime has actually been up to, getting done.

The video clip you can click on in the article has a discomforting effect, watching Trump at the G20 acting out a behavioural, neurological routine he has obviously effected and reinforced in his brain and mind his whole life. Disturbing.

Six Ways Trump Is 'Dismantling' the US After Six Months In Office
The Guardian,
Wednesday 19 July

'Trump has been paralyzed on healthcare and tax reform, but his administration has been active in eroding safeguards and protections elsewhere.

Given all that Donald Trump promised the business world during his bombastic campaign it’s tempting to dismiss the president’s first six months with a “meh”. It would also be myopic.'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...in-white-house
Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post