Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 13th February 2018, 04:34 PM
AFA Member

Default David Leyonhjelm

It seems I have somehow made it on to the mailing list of the Liberal Democrats and have received a personal email from said person asking me to send money, here it is;

Quote:
Steven --

Partnership with Senators Bernardi and Anning
Last week it was announced that Senator Cory Bernardi, Senator Fraser Anning and I had agreed to form a loose partnership in the Senate.
While there are obviously points of disagreement amongst us, particularly in relation to social issues, we are each committed to holding the government to account with regards to spending.
This is vital if we are to maintain any budget credibility.
I have benefited from being able to influence government policy through my largely positive relationship with Ministers. But sometimes goodwill is not enough; as a party of one on the Crossbench it can be difficult to find the leverage needed to strike deals with the government when it is seeking support for bills that come before the Senate.
With three of us working together on issues of agreement, the government will have no option but to talk to us at the same time as it talks to the Hanson and Xenophon groups. We will be a first port of call for the government rather than a last resort.
I look forward to working in this partnership to further our party’s objectives to increase individual freedoms and cut taxes. The new arrangement offers the Liberal Democrats the opportunity to increase its influence ahead of the next election.
The next federal election will be held within 15 months and we are preparing now. If you can contribute $30 to help us with pre-election polling that would be great.
Regards,
David Leyonhjelm
Liberal Democrats Senator

P.S. Why not consider making a regular monthly payment here ?
Copyright © 2018 Liberal Democrats, All rights reserved.
Thank you for becoming a Liberal Democrats supporter.

Our mailing address is:
Liberal Democrats
PO Box 636
Drummoyne, NSW 1470
Australia

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Liberal Democrats
http://www.ldp.org.au/
Being somewhat affronted at being put on a mailing list without my permission, and then being told I need to "opt out" to stop receiving them I replied thusly.

Quote:
I have no intention of entering my email address on your website to unsubscribe from a newsletter I NEVER SUBSCRIBED TO IN THE FIRST PLACE!

That being said, I find your policies and those of your "partners" to be ignorant and uneducated and based myth, hearsay and falsities, so no I won't be giving you any money, ever.

Oh yes, with the Barnaby Joyce saga just getting rolling you might want to rethink that expression "partners" apparently it doesn't mean what we all thought it meant.

Don't send me anymore emails or I will have to lodge a complaint, it appears I have been placed on your mailing list against my wishes and am now required to "opt out." As with scriptures in schools this behaviour is an affront to normal processes and societal interactions, but then colour me surprised, Cory Bernardi right?
Anyone else getting them?
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 13th February 2018, 04:52 PM
Arse-pocalyptic

Default Re: David Leyonhjelm

I'm fairly confident that mail would have triggered my "begging letters" filter and gone to the Virtual Shredder.

Everything before the "but" is bullshit. - Black's Grandad.

Old 13th February 2018, 10:37 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

Many moons ago, about 2008 or 2009 (roughly) I sent an email to my sitting MP who happened to be a LNP member. It was over a rather ignorant piece he had published in the local Murdoch propaganda spread.
Anyway, for some unknown reason about 5 years after, my email was then placed onto their donors list, begging for money.
Fat fucking chance of that happening. Eventually the email address was removed from their mailing list but FFS, it took several attempts at the unsub button and I ended having to email some idiot within the LNP to get it removed. Bunch of fucking clowns.

Like The Irreverent Mr Black, wolty liked this post
Old 14th February 2018, 04:04 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
loubert said View Post
Many moons ago, about 2008 or 2009 (roughly) I sent an email to my sitting MP who happened to be a LNP member. It was over a rather ignorant piece he had published in the local Murdoch propaganda spread.
Anyway, for some unknown reason about 5 years after, my email was then placed onto their donors list, begging for money.
Fat fucking chance of that happening. Eventually the email address was removed from their mailing list but FFS, it took several attempts at the unsub button and I ended having to email some idiot within the LNP to get it removed. Bunch of fucking clowns.
I'm not even sure a political party is actually required to have an unsub button, however I generally look at unsub buttons from charities and political groups as merely sending a message that you are there and are receiving their emails.

Commercial entities are of course covered by the ACC in being required to have an unsub button and for it to actually work.
Old 16th February 2018, 07:34 AM
*Insert naughty words here*

Not sure if a political party is required to have an unsub button, but it is probably poor form to not include one.

Old 16th February 2018, 05:57 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
loubert said View Post
Not sure if a political party is required to have an unsub button, but it is probably poor form to not include one.

Having one there and having it do what is supposed to do are two entirely different things! It might look good to have it there, but if all it does is confirm that the email address they are sending crap to is actually a real email address with a person attached then it's pretty pointless.
Old 18th February 2018, 12:52 PM
AFA Member

Doesn't the NRA give him enough of an allowance?