Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Debate Forum

Debate Forum The AFA Debate forum. Set up your debate or join the peanut gallery in here.

Old 23rd February 2017, 09:38 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Debate: God Exists

Dear all,

I would like to run a debate titled God Exists. I would like two teams to be involved. One team is affirmative that argues for God; the other team argues against God. It is not a requirement to be a theist or atheist for either team. You may want to treat this debate as a hypothesis and an opportunity to cultivate your own critical thinking and argumentative skills.

Each team may comprise of more than one member but both teams must have equal numbers of members.

Would anyone be interested to get started?

Thanks and regards
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:49 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Default Re: Debate: God Exists

That's a bit of a false dichotomy you've got there Azu. The teams would be more like: one argues that GodTM exists, and the other team argues that the first team hasn't provided compelling evidence for their case.

To argue that GodTM (or any other supernatural creature) definitely does not exist is to try and prove a negative.

Like Sendraks, odd, DanDare, Banjo liked this post
Thank gray-owl thanked this post
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:51 PM

We do not have evidence to prove that God exists. However, would arguing for God's existence in a purely speculative manner be acceptable? This is the approach that I want to adopt.
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:56 PM
Buffoon

Can't really improve on what Loki says.

It doesn't sound like a discussion which would be different to numerous other threads located in R.U.S.T, where folk assert that yes, there is a god, and the rest of us repeatedly ask for evidence to support the claim which is never forthcoming.

As Loki has said, there is no need for anyone to prove a negative and no debate which hinges on shifting the burden of proof to one party, should be tolerated in the first place.

Also which "god" are you talking about? You'd have to first begin by defining your terms and experience has taught me that you would never get past this point because, no other bloody theist ever has either. You'd wind up losing the debate by simply failing to clearly define your terms and/or being unable to reach agreement with your interlocutors as to your definitions.

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain
Like 142857 liked this post
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:57 PM
Buffoon

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
We do not have evidence to prove that God exists. However, would arguing for God's existence in a purely speculative manner be acceptable? This is the approach that I want to adopt.
There's still no debate to be had. Why should anyone want to debate the purely speculative? Never mind the problems I've identified in my other post.

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:18 PM

It is called a theory. Not all theories are directly proven upon evidence. Atheists do argue at times using pure speculation.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:26 PM
Buffoon

To be clear, its called "theory" in the loosest sense of the word, being synonymous with " "speculation" or "an idea."

It is not a theory in the sense which those of us of a scientific background understand and use the word. A scientific theory is an area of study, supported by facts and hypothesis which have not been falsified. ALL scientific theories rely on evidence and NONE of them rely on speculation.

I hope this illustrates the importance of getting your definitions right. You are not talking about "theory" in any sense that I would acknowledge.

Quote:
Atheists do argue at times using pure speculation.
Example please.

Like Athe1st, hackenslash liked this post
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:28 PM

Is superstring theory based on evidence? I don't think so. That is one example used by scientists.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:46 PM
Buffoon

Yes, superstring theory isn't a scientific theory, it is 'theory' in the sense of speculation put forward by scientists.

Even the speculative ideas such as string theory are being put forward by people who have more than a "grounding" in science and are, in some cases, extrapolating from existing scientific theories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theore...tream_theories

By comparison, the existence of "god" (which one, by the way? define your terms please) is pure speculation based on absolutely nothing.

Old 24th February 2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Sendraks said View Post
By comparison, the existence of "god" (which one, by the way? define your terms please) is pure speculation based on absolutely nothing.
I completely get what you are saying and I agree 100% apart from one tiny thing:

Even as an almost lifelong atheist I would disagree that belief in God is based on absolutely nothing.

I know people who sincerely believe that they have met God. In their case their belief in God is based on first-hand experience (admittedly with no other evidence). Eyewitness testimony is classed as evidence. And those people have insisted that I should believe in God because they have met him and I should trust them on that.

There are also stories in old books. Now this is poor evidence as those books are known to contain factual errors and are internally inconsistent. But still, we should acknowledge the existence of that evidence and objectively grade its credibility rather than saying that it doesn't exist.
Like Darwinsbulldog liked this post