Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Ask a scientist

Ask a scientist Not up to speed with science jargon but have a sciency question?

Old 25th April 2017, 09:57 PM
AFA Member

Default Glycerine fermentation

I'd like to ask a question for any scientists/chemists about the possibility of fermenting glycerine. Can it be done?

I've googled it, obviously, but the articles that come up are chemistry intensive and I'm so far out of my depth I actually can't understand or discern a yes or no! So, just wondering if anyone knows anything about this?

May as well ask my forum chums, you lot are a pretty good source on most other things so why not...
Old 26th April 2017, 12:42 AM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Default Re: Glycerine fermentation

Yes it can.

Whether it can produce what you are interested in is another question. For example you can produce alcohol but other things are also produced which might not be terribly palatable, like formic acid. If you could ferment to something drinkable i suspect someone would have done it already.

Why do you ask?

Old 26th April 2017, 08:36 AM
AFA Member

Thanks Loki, interesting.

I just keep coming across the vast number of things that glycerine can be used for. I've been vaping it for years and then yesterday it struck me that i might ferment it, its very sweet after all. My purpose is alcohol production - i make my own wine.

Formic acid may not necessarily be a problem during fermentation, oxidation reduces it i think? Anyway, formic acid stinks so i'd notice it. Hmmm...might experiment.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:16 PM
What Me Deluded?

Nitroglycerine. All you need is white fuming nitric acid and your glycerine.

Very handy for safecracking. And for anal fissures, in low doses otherwise you could wreck your rectum if you eat beans. Blowback.

An opera singer recommended gargling glycerine to us in Hair, if you aspire to sing Jumping at Shadows like Peter Green or Black Dog like Robert Plant.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:54 PM
AFA Member

Another use for this miraculous stuff is fire of course. A few drops on a small pile of potassium permanganate and you have a flame which is very useful when camping in wet terrain, in fact, potentially life saving.

Also good for brain swelling apparently, constipation, general lubrication purposes, skin care, cake baking and icing, sweetening, adding body to drinks and several other things i've forgotten...but who can keep track of it all? Its also incredibly cheap, what other product do you even need?

You can drink it, rub it on yourself and smoke it! Hence my question as to weather you can turn it into booze.
Old 26th April 2017, 11:40 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Apparently it's used to make really shit spirits and liquers smoother.

And add "texture" and "feel" and "body". Whatever that means.

Old 28th April 2017, 06:13 PM
AFA Member

Just to answer my own question or in case anyone was wondering, my son, who is a chemistry student has informed me that glycerine lacks a required molecule or carbohydrate or something and that one can't ferment it using normal household fermentation processes. Damn...i said!

And loki, feel, texture and body are just wine words for viscosity, in my opinion. But...i make wine to drink, not to taste