Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 15th September 2017, 08:26 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Does Aung San Suu Kyi condone genocide?

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
@Wadaye: This "shoulding" gets a bit tiresome: that's twice in a row.

I'll approach the matter as I see fit, thanks.
It gets tiresome when we had this discussion before the current spasm of genocide. Now is not the time to provide reasons why she can't do anything. She has a mouth but refuses to use it except to blame the victims.

Meanwhile villagers are massacres and their bodies desecrated.
Old 15th September 2017, 08:36 PM
Yeah, okay. I did it.

"Now is not the time to provide reasons why she can't do anything. " - straw, or your own making.

Do your feels preclude you from wanting to be informed about the situation?

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,
eventually you will have two of them - Matt Roberds

Old 15th September 2017, 09:12 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
"Now is not the time to provide reasons why she can't do anything. " - straw, or your own making.

Do your feels preclude you from wanting to be informed about the situation?
Have you read over this thread? It might be instructive. If you do note that only Goldenmae had the intellectual integrity to put his hand up and say that he was wrong previously, that ASSK does appear to condone the genocide
Old 15th September 2017, 09:22 PM
Yeah, okay. I did it.

@Wadaye: I have read over the thread, and I resent that you choose to interpret me as an apologist.

Further replies from you will only be read by others.

Old 15th September 2017, 09:55 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
@Wadaye: I have read over the thread, and I resent that you choose to interpret me as an apologist.

Further replies from you will only be read by others.
I don't know where you got that from.
Edit. For the record i didn't and don't consider you as an apologist.
Edit 2. For the record i should have stated that i was meaning out of the posters on the thread previously who said or implied that ASSK did not condone the geocide or that it was not established.

Last edited by wadaye; 15th September 2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 16th September 2017, 07:52 AM
AFA Member

Mr Black this thread has been a vicious thread. Spearthrower supported ASSK all the way, while she helped to ramp up towards the current mass killing in Myanmar. I accused him of being an apologist for the denialist ASSK.

I did not accuse anyone else of being an apologist for ASSK.

The problem is that we tend to look at ASSK and whether she should or could do something to stop the atrocities, and thereby miss the true problem, because she is a propagandist for the regime and the international media haven't seen this yet.

So by her very presence in the office of State Counsellor she hides the fact of genocide.
She is using up her international capital to buy time for the regime to complete the genocide.

Last edited by wadaye; 16th September 2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 19th September 2017, 08:17 PM
Yeah, okay. I did it.

I think we now have a comprehensive answer regarding ASSK's position.

Quote:
Not once during her half-hour speech did Ms Suu Kyi even utter the word 'Rohingya', referring to them as the 'Muslims' of Rakhine state.

Nor did she explicitly acknowledge the brutal military crackdown by Myanmar's military since late August, that has forced more than 400,000 Rohingyas to flee for their lives into Bangladesh, and left hundreds dead.

Her only reference instead was that since September 5 there had been "no armed clashes and there have been no clearance operations" — a statement that contradicts the stories of many Rohingya refugees now in Bangladesh.

Indeed, to say that Ms Suu Kyi glossed over the Rohingyas' plight is an understatement.

True, she did condemn "all human rights violations" and declared Myanmar's commitment to restoring peace and stability.

"We feel deeply for the suffering for all the people who have been caught up in the conflict," she said.

But in the next breath, she qualified her words by acknowledging the many other groups affected by the conflict, "not just Muslims".

Thank wadaye, Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 19th September 2017, 09:21 PM
AFA Member

Well...i've not invested in this thread but followed the issue because of it. I'm inclined to say, that's fucked up Ms Suu Kyi. It's seeming like you were on the money early on Wadaye. And you took some heat for it too.

Myanmar has yet another layer of tragedy to process.
Old 21st September 2017, 04:23 PM
Yeah, okay. I did it.

Not just ASSK: we have an ASS of our own.

First Dog on the Moon says it eloquently:

Thank wadaye thanked this post
Old Today, 10:16 AM
Yeah, okay. I did it.

Not ASSK, but YouTube and Facebook are putting the boot into the Rohingya cause.

Quote:
A number of Rohingya activists have had their social media accounts curtailed during the recent conflict in Myanmar, leading many to question whether they have been targeted by a co-ordinated campaign.

Shah Hossain is a prominent activist living in Saudi Arabia. He's been running a Facebook page since 2010, and was surprised when he saw that a number of his posts detailing the recent events in Myanmar's Rakhine state were being deleted.

Much of the content included graphic depictions of violence, but Facebook's guidelines generally allow such images if they deem them to be in the public interest, rather than "shared for sadistic pleasure or to celebrate or glorify violence." Hossain says he has contacts living in Myanmar who regularly send him images and videos of the conflict unfolding there.

"We are getting so many images, all of them are graphic. If we are not showing these graphic images to the world, what will we show?" Hossain tells BBC Trending.

'Posts being deleted'
Hossain is one of a number of Rohingya activists who have had accounts or videos taken down by big social networks in the wake of the conflict in the region. And the issue is not confined to Facebook. Hossain is also one of the activists who runs the YouTube channel Arakan News Agency.

"There was nearly 60,000 subscribers and suddenly YouTube deleted that channel. That is not what we were expecting from social media. We were trying to highlight our issue but social media platforms are blocking us," Hossain says.
More@Source