Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Ask a scientist

Ask a scientist Not up to speed with science jargon but have a sciency question?

Old 14th November 2015, 12:22 AM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Accident

Define accident.

What are scientific proofs?

Is the perception of accident subjective? Does accident exist? Is it just our limited knowledge and perception?

How do theories of Entropy, Chaos/Butterfly Effect and String relate to it?
Old 14th November 2015, 12:27 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Accident

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Define accident.
An unintended outcome.

Quote:
An oxymoron

Quote:
Is the perception of accident subjective? Does accident exist? Is it just our limited knowledge and perception?
Yes.
Yes.
No.

Quote:
They don't inherently because there's no teleology in any of them.
Old 14th November 2015, 12:31 AM
Resident of Fantasy Island

I am posting this thread because I'm confronted by multitudinous theists. They are massacring and interrogating us but propagandising that we 'atheists always think about accidents only'.
Old 14th November 2015, 12:36 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
I am posting this thread because I'm confronted by multitudinous theists. They are massacring and interrogating us but propagandising that we 'atheists always think about accidents only'.
Theists are wont to say stupid things - I generally find laughing at them to be more productive!

Any claim that 'atheists think that' which doesn't end with 'there are no gods' or an alternatively worded but analogous conclusion is bollocks!

See my signature for my 'rebuttal' to those theists.

Last edited by Spearthrower; 14th November 2015 at 12:37 AM.
Like Azurisan21, 142857, hackenslash liked this post
Old 4th January 2016, 01:45 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
It is, as you say, propaganda.

Quote:
information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view.
If someone says "atheists think" it's a short cut way of saying, "I have never discussed it with an atheist but this is what I think atheists think based on my beliefs."
Old 25th February 2016, 05:01 PM

Smile Re: Accident

Quote:
Define accident.

What sort of accident ? The condom broke ? scientific proof- doctor says she's pregnant.
Old 27th February 2016, 04:10 PM
AFA Member

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that in a closed system entropy will increase until the system is of uniform energy. ie heat death.

This is used against evolution because creationists don't know/ignore/deny the second law refers to what happens to a closed system. Life on Earth is NOT a closed system, so entropy can actually decrease locally. That is, life does not defy the 2nd law. So there is no need for a magic-man to prop the system up.

Chaos/Butterfly Effect.

No specific creationist argument given here, but generically, most creationists have problems with statistics and probabilities wherever they seem to contradict their belief in a sky-daddy creator of all things.

String?

Give creationists enough rope and they will hang themselves [intellectually speaking].
Old 27th February 2016, 07:41 PM
What Me Deluded?

Isn't it the case that on Earth, entropy still obtains, as it does in the Sun, as in the universe and which will result in its eventual heat death?

With life on the planet through evolution and speciation, entropy just takes an interesting pathway, for a time.
Old 27th February 2016, 07:51 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Isn't it the case that on Earth, entropy still obtains, as it does in the Sun, as in the universe and which will result in its eventual heat death?

With life on the planet through evolution and speciation, entropy just takes an interesting pathway, for a time.
Well, no, its a local reversal. [Food in, poop out]. But you die eventually of course.

Local reversals still mean the thermodynamic "books" are in order.

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 27th February 2016 at 07:52 PM.
Dislike Azurisan21 disliked this post
Old 27th February 2016, 08:14 PM
What Me Deluded?

Can you give a little more on that Db?

Creationists think and argue, effectively to the ignorant that evolution is impossible, the theory is fallacious, since the 'natural order' doesn't arise from disorder and 'chaos' without Creator magic.