Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Religions

Religions Discussions on the various world religions and their impacts now and throughout history.

Old 27th June 2017, 10:19 AM
AFA Member

Default It's good news week, the census is out!

The numbers are out and official;

Quote:
It’s the first time in Australia’s history the number of people who claim “no religion” has overtaken Catholics.

The latest Census drop showed those ticking “no religion” rose from 22.6 per cent to 29.6 per cent, while those identifying as Catholic dropped from 25.3 per cent to 22.6 per cent.
http://www.news.com.au/national/no-r...32a83535078f51

So the Catholics are a very minor part of Australia, I demand to know why us non-religious people are compulsorily required to pay for their schools!

Actually when one senator wanted a separate budget for catholic and public education I agreed with him, catholic education should be funded by a separate budget and tax item just drawn from people who are catholic and agree to it being part of their tax, they should get that much and nothing more!

Oh yes I will let them hold back the tax for public education, but if they then decide to send their children to a public school they would be required to pay the equivalent tax in advance, that should satisfy the catholics! What they do about people who don't pay the catholic education tax and want to send their kids to a catholic school is their issue!
Thank knowledge is power thanked this post
Old 27th June 2017, 10:33 AM
AFA Member

Default It's good news week, the census is out!

I'm not really happy to be with all of y'all common majority run of the mill type folk. I'm from Brunswick so I need be part of something smaller and more exclusive. Notheism.

Last edited by Deus; 27th June 2017 at 10:37 AM.
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 27th June 2017, 12:00 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: It's good news week, the census is out!

Quote:
Deus said View Post
I'm not really happy to be with all of y'all common majority run of the mill type folk. I'm from Brunswick so I need be part of something smaller and more exclusive. Notheism.

Splitter (waves hand); "this is not the Notheism you are looking for."
Old 27th June 2017, 06:14 PM
About goddamn time.

YAASSSSS!!!! double the atheists of 2000! Brilliant stuff.

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 28th June 2017, 02:22 PM
Omu'sata

In the hard copy version of the West Australian today (and online elsewhere) Miranda Devine says the following:

Quote:
But when it comes to human spiritual yearnings, something always *replaces religion, and it’s often not *benign.

In the 20th century more than 150 million people were murdered by atheist regimes in Stalinist Russia, Mao’s China, Pol Pot’s Cambodia, and Ho Chi Minh’s Vietnam.
Yep. She goes there. Let's take the allegation levelled against Pol Pot's Cambodia. Firstly, I accept that the "Year Zero" concept espoused by the regime denied the existence of a god. But they were not murderous bastards just because of that.

The Year Zero concept was opposed to education, technology, modern philosophical thought etc. These are all things that most atheists I know value.

Devine's attempt to characterise the Khmer Rouge's actions as atheist-based is an error that Christians seem to make frequently. The Khmer Rouge did not do what they did because of a disbelief in gods, they did what they did because of their crazy beliefs.

The same arguments can be made for the others listed in her example.
Old 28th June 2017, 02:35 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Stubby said View Post
In the hard copy version of the West Australian today (and online elsewhere) Miranda Devine says the following:

Yep. She goes there. Let's take the allegation levelled against Pol Pot's Cambodia. Firstly, I accept that the "Year Zero" concept espoused by the regime denied the existence of a god. But they were not murderous bastards just because of that.

The Year Zero concept was opposed to education, technology, modern philosophical thought etc. These are all things that most atheists I know value.

Devine's attempt to characterise the Khmer Rouge's actions as atheist-based is an error that Christians seem to make frequently. The Khmer Rouge did not do what they did because of a disbelief in gods, they did what they did because of their crazy beliefs.

I would say potato, potato. Firstly, religion is just another way to engage in politics. Secondly, an extremist ideology is likely to attract believers. The same sort of cherry-picking goes on. Indeed,extremist leaders are often worshipped by their followers. Sometimes willingly, but often as a requirement by the state.

Even more cynically, I would characterise church involvement in bringing down totalitarian regimes less about an institutional love for democracy and freedom, and more about reestablishing church power and authority over people. Communism/fascism "stole" their flocks, so churches fight to regain control.
Old 28th June 2017, 03:37 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Quote:
Stubby said View Post

Quote:
But when it comes to human spiritual yearnings, something always *replaces religion, and itís often not *benign.

In the 20th century more than 150 million people were murdered by atheist regimes in Stalinist Russia, Maoís China, Pol Potís Cambodia, and Ho Chi Minhís Vietnam.

IMO, the problem is and will be closed systems of thought (especially ideologically motivated moral communities)*.

* See the book "Everyone is Wrong about God".
Old 28th June 2017, 03:46 PM
Omu'sata

Quote:
workmx said View Post
IMO, the problem is and will be closed systems of thought (especially ideologically motivated moral communities)*.

Yeah the way I normally put it is that atrocities are usually perpetrated by groups with a collective crazy belief.
Old 28th June 2017, 03:48 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Quote:
Stubby said View Post
Quote:
workmx said View Post

Yeah the way I normally put it is that atrocities are usually perpetrated by groups with a collective crazy belief.
TRIGGER WARNING: Call back to Facebook debacle.

I like how we both carefully avoided the words "groupthink" and "cult".
Old 28th June 2017, 05:51 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
But when it comes to human spiritual yearnings, something always *replaces religion, and it’s often not *benign.

In the 20th century more than 150 million people were murdered by atheist regimes in Stalinist Russia, Mao’s China, Pol Pot’s Cambodia, and Ho Chi Minh’s Vietnam.
oy vey.

for starters it was far from 150 million. wasn't even 50 million. next she totally misses the point. it wasn't spirituality that was being replaced, it was servitude. for good reasons, me thinketh. easier to serve someone whose pic you can hang on the wall and who promises you stuff in the here and now. last but not least, if spirituality is the point of religion, why all the rules? I mean, can't they just gather and sing 'sanctus benedictus asparagus virus cassius POTUS', light some incense (or a joint) and ruminate on the oneness of the many? works like a charm. I have seen it in India in the 80s loads of times.

but hey, not like I am expecting a rational argument from her.