Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Physical Sciences

Physical Sciences Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Astronomy, Mathematics etc

Old 12th January 2016, 11:01 AM
*Insert naughty words here*

Default Gravity waves may have been detected.

I use the word may, as it is early days yet.

http://www.techinsider.io/gravity-wa...d-rumor-2016-1

Quote:
Physicists have spent the last century searching for ripples in the fabric of spacetime ever since Albert Einstein's 1915 theory of relativity predicted they exist.
These ripples, called gravitational waves, happen when a massive celestial object suddenly moves, like when a star explodes, or when two massive objects collide, like when two black holes merge. These cataclysmic disturbances create ripples through space and time the same way a rain drop can make ripples when it falls on the surface of a lake.

The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) has been searching for these gravitational waves since 2002 with no luck. But a more powerful, advanced LIGO that's about three times more sensitive than the original detector started operating in September 2015.

And now a rumor is circulating that physicists at the new and improved LIGO have finally detected the elusive waves. If it's true, it will be one of the most important discoveries in physics in the last century.

The rumor first cropped up just a few weeks after the advanced LIGO started operating. Cosmologist Lawrence Krauss tweeted that LIGO may have found the elusive waves at last:

As promised, Krauss followed up today (January 11), and it seems the rumor has held true:

But the official word from LIGO is that there's no news to report yet.

"We will share results when ready but have nothing yet it takes months to analyze the data, interpret results and review them," Gabriela Gonzalez, physicist and spokesperson for LIGO, told Tech Insider in an email.

Some have speculated that the rumor might be the result of a drill a false positive signal stuck into the LIGO data as a kind of training exercise for the scientists analyzing it.

Whoever Krauss' source is says that's not the case though:

Others have taken to Twitter to express their frustration that the rumor exists at all.

As Jennifer Ouellette reported in Gizmodo, Loyola University physicist Robert McNees tweeted that he doubts the rumor came from scientists at LIGO:

The discovery of gravity waves would further confirm the theory of inflation the idea that in the first few moments the universe existed, it underwent a rapid and mind-bogglingly huge expansion. That kind of rapid expansion would almost certainly leave behind ripples through spacetime.

But the most important part is that inflation is an idea that falls under quantum physics (the laws that govern tiny subatomic particles), while gravity waves are part of classical physics (the laws that govern larger objects). The discovery of gravity waves could establish a link between quantum physics and classical physics and get us one step closer to a grand "theory of everything" in physics.

Tech Insider has reached out to Krauss and other scientists at LIGO and we'll update this post if we hear back.

Like Spearthrower, Fie liked this post
Old 12th January 2016, 12:12 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Gravity waves may have been detected.

Whoohoo, time to break out the surf boards!
Old 12th January 2016, 05:52 PM
AFA Member

This thread has gravitas!
Old 12th January 2016, 06:26 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
This thread has gravitas!
Or more properly gravitatis, or maybe I had better stop before it stravaigs in an unexpected direction!
Old 13th January 2016, 07:10 PM
What Me Deluded?

Nobody could be more eager than Lawrence to have the understanding of gravity, then to explain it for the rest of us.
Old 13th January 2016, 11:41 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Man, that's heavy.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 16th January 2016, 10:11 AM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

Quote:
The discovery of gravity waves would further confirm the theory of inflation the idea that in the first few moments the universe existed, it underwent a rapid and mind-bogglingly huge expansion.
Errr, no. Gravity waves appear in all cosmologies that take GR into account. The best competitor, for example, also has gravitational waves. The Ekpyrotic 'brane worlds' model has gravitational waves although, because of the details of the model, they would tend to be blue-shifted in comparison.

The only observation that would 'confirm' (they really shouldn't use that word in this setting) inflationary theory is gravitational waves with B-mode polarisation.

Yet another case of shoddy journalism undermining a story that didn't need anything further to make it interesting. They make it sound like gravitational waves are a prediction of inflationary theory, as opposed to being a necessary corollary to the fact that gravity propogates at a finite speed, a basic prediction of general relativity.

Carry on.

Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 17th January 2016, 01:56 PM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

I realise that I was less than completely rigorous in my last post.

What would be required to support inflationary theory would be primordial gravitational waves with B-mode polarisation, and that said polarisation was not the result of additional interference from other sources. This was the problem with the much-vaunted BICEP-2 results from 14 months ago, namely that the source of the polarisation couldn't be definitively identified.

If we see gravitational wave signatures in the CMBR, and all late sources (such as intervening space-dust, etc) can be eliminated, then inflationary theory is supported.

On the other hand, if we see gravitational waves from the CMBR without said polarisation, inflation is falsified, and brane-worlds is supported.

That said, the main point of my last post is robust, namely that gravitational waves provide precisely no support for inflationary theory over other models, because all of them have gravitational waves.

Like DanDare, Blue Lightning, odd liked this post
Old 17th January 2016, 10:04 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Quote:
hackenslash said View Post
... the main point of my last post is robust, namely that gravitational waves provide precisely no support for inflationary theory over other models, because all of them have gravitational waves.
I read that as the main "take out"
Like hackenslash liked this post
Old 11th February 2016, 12:13 PM
AFA Member

More gravity waves whoohoo!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/sp...7f90490603ba9a

It is becoming almost a certainty that the big announcement will be gravity waves;

Quote:
The US National Science Foundation and the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory experiment (LIGO) has now announced a press conference for 10.30am ET Thursday (2.30am AEDT Friday) in Washington DC to coincide the publication of a report in the science journal Nature. The event will be broadcast live.
http://www.nature.com/news/ligo-live...-waves-1.19344

So the usual little grouping of silly comments on that article of course;

Quote:
ALBERT EINSTEIN WAS A FRAUD AND THIS FINDING IS YET ANOTHER FAIRY STORY
Quote:
More voodoo and bluffing from academics who play the wider population by stringing together sciency sounding words in what is effectively a high end welfare scam.
I just wish these people, who seem to think that all modern science, apparently including that branch that gave them computers, internet and the freedom to express their ignorance publicly, would give up all the technology based on this so called fake science of theirs. Smoke signals are, after all, a much more effective method of mass communication.

Just pop over to the catholic child abuse thread to see what such ignorance begets.
Thank DanDare thanked this post