What Me Deluded?

Default Re: Climate Change

Where's the obligatory link GM?
Old 10th January 2018, 10:55 PM
What Me Deluded?

QUARTZ
Newspeak

The official in charge of awarding EPA science grants doesn’t want to see the words “climate change”

Zoë Schlanger September 05, 2017

News of language changes is popping up across several US agencies.

Quote:
The person who makes the final decision on grant funding at the US Environmental Protection Agency agency is a political operative who doesn’t want to see “the double C-word”—climate change—in grant applications, according to EPA staff who spoke with the Washington Post.

John Konkus is former aide to then-candidate Donald Trump’s presidential campaign. Now, his official role is in the EPA’s public affairs office, where he reviews each grant the EPA gives out, despite little environmental policy background. According to the Post, EPA staffers say that Konkus “repeatedly has instructed grant officers to eliminate references to the [climate change] in solicitations.”

Former EPA officials who served under presidents Barack Obama and George W. Bush called the move unusual.

“We didn’t do a political screening on every grant, because many of them were based on science, and political appointees don’t have that kind of background,” former EPA administrator Christine Todd Whitman, who served under Bush, told the Washington Post.

The report comes after a scientist from Northeastern University posted an email to Facebook in which a US Department of Energy staffer asked her to cut mentions of “climate change” and “global warming” from her grant application. (The Department of Energy denied having a systematic ban on “climate change,” but did not specifically deny or confirm the validity of the email). Employees at the US Department of Agriculture have also been asked to avoid terms including “climate change” going forward, and replace them with less-specific terminology like “weather extremes
Trump appointed Scott Pruitt for boss of the EPA. His constituency is the oil and gas industry. He hates environment protection. Fears God. Serves the Man.

The fox guarding the henhouse
Old 10th January 2018, 11:00 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Where's the obligatory link GM?
Sorry, my bad.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...t_the_cdc.html

There's a bunch of others, but that one pretty much covers it, or provides links. What it seems to come down to is a combination of a style guide from HHS (Health and Human Services, the parent body that oversees the CDC), and recommendations from within the CDC that if you want to get grants, maybe avoid using these hot-button terms that the idiots currently in charge of the money freak the fuck out about. Use other terms that mean the same thing, because they're idiots and will be tricked by such an otherwise transparent ploy.

I'm not saying that it isn't worrying, or worth worrying about. It amounts to a sort of prophylactic self-censorship which can easily play into the hands of autocrats and fascists if not closely attended. But I do think it's important to be accurate in our awareness of events, and scrupulous in parsing them. And truth be told, I doubt the Trump administration could find its arse with both hands for long enough to come up with a list of banned words for the CDC. That attributes a level of awareness to them that is far too flattering. Trump doesn't even know what the CDC does, let alone have any conception of censoring them.

The first inkling we'll have that the Trump administration even knows the CDC exists will be Trump tweeting some fucktardery about "The failing CDC, who can't even stop the common cold, wants to keep pumping mercury into our kids whilst autism rates are the biggest ever! Sad!" Motherfucker's barely got seven words in his vocabulary. Expecting him to make a list is ambitious.

@Goldenmane3

Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 12th January 2018, 12:20 AM
What Me Deluded?

Yes they wouldn't know it if their collective arse was on fire, which it is.

A sober analysis by Daniel Engber in Slate. Thanks GM.

He says in the face of the war on funding by Trump's Administration, for scientists applying for their funding to the Office of Management and Funding in the White House it necessitates a doublespeak strategy. Just nuts.

I surmise the OMF bureaucracy dudgeons (Dawkins word) wouldn't have read Kahneman, so they lack insight into their suggestibility.
Old 19th January 2018, 10:13 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
2017 Was One of the Hottest Years on
Record. And That Was Without El Niño.

The world in 2017 saw some of the highest average surface temperatures ever recorded, surprising scientists who had expected sharper retreat from recent record years.

Scientists at NASA on Thursday ranked last year as the second-warmest year since reliable record-keeping began in 1880, trailing only 2016. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which uses a different analytical method, ranked it third, behind 2016 and 2015.

What made the numbers unexpected was that last year had no El Niño, a shift in tropical Pacific weather patterns that is usually linked to record-setting heat and that contributed to record highs the previous two years. In fact, last year should have benefited from a weak version of the opposite phenomenon, La Niña, which is generally associated with lower atmospheric temperatures.
A good article from the New York Times reviewing climate data from 2017.

Grim reading really but if anyone is interested and not feeling overly melancholic its worth the time.
Old 19th January 2018, 02:55 PM

I have evidence that the world is getting hotter. Today I went to make a sandwich for lunch and for the first time I can remember I was able to pour the peanut butter onto my bread, it had melted to an almost water like consistency.

It still tasted OK so I guess its not all bad news.
Old 19th January 2018, 02:58 PM
Down Periscope, Engage Writer Mode.

Quote:
Wrenn said View Post
I have evidence that the world is getting hotter. Today I went to make a sandwich for lunch and for the first time I can remember I was able to pour the peanut butter onto my bread, it had melted to an almost water like consistency.

It still tasted OK so I guess its not all bad news.
One leading brand (Kraft) recently changed hands, so we'd need to conduct further tests, using the international standard jar of peanut butter, which is kept in a guarded vault in France, near the standard metre and kilogram.

[Death] liked black. It went with anything.
It went with everything, sooner or later.
- Terry Pratchett

Laugh at Wrenn laughed at this post
Old 19th January 2018, 05:58 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
One leading brand (Kraft) recently changed hands, so we'd need to conduct further tests, using the international standard jar of peanut butter, which is kept in a guarded vault in France, near the standard metre and kilogram.
if we can't get access to that jar, I guess the Discovery Institute has one one hand that they use to disprove evolution!
Old 19th January 2018, 10:50 PM
What Me Deluded?

This is insidious. I am sure Tim Tams and Cartwheels and ice creams aren't as big as they originally were. They get away with it by gradualism. They think we won't notice, anyway we have to suck it up.

A better strategy than increasing the price.

They are nobly deterring us from pigging out, satiating the Munchies, in the cause of skinniness especially for the kiddies.
Old 20th January 2018, 05:44 PM
AFA Member

So i'm just surfing the forum dropping terrible news in one thread after another it seems, sorry about that. Not strictly about climate change but it sure as hell won't help.Anyone been following the 'oil' spill in China? Turns out its not oil but a condensate, a liquid bi-product of natural gas and certain types of oil. Apparently there has never been a spill of this type of product on this scale ever before and no one is entirely sure what will happen. Ohhhkaaay...so...that sounds bigly bad.

The NYTimes has a short summary piece that concludes thusly,

Quote:
While studies of condensate’s environmental effects are limited, one lab study found that its toxicity to corals, for example, was greater than expected based on its molecular components.

In the best-case scenario, the fuel will come to the surface in a slick that is massive but thousandths-of-millimeters thin. From there, it would evaporate into the atmosphere. However, as Richard Steiner, an Alaska-based environmental consultant, told BuzzFeed News, “there’s a lot we don’t know about a major condensate spill since we’ve never seen one.” He described a scenario where there was an “invisible, subsurface toxic plume that is spreading outward from the site.”
Thank Darwinsbulldog, wolty, Blue Lightning, Strato, SEG thanked this post