Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 16th October 2017, 08:40 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default RSA ANIMATE: Changing Education Paradigms

RSA ANIMATE: Changing Education Paradigms

It's fantastic.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like loubert liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, pipbarber thanked this post
Old 16th October 2017, 10:33 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: RSA ANIMATE: Changing Education Paradigms

Very good vid, the gist of which I wholeheartedly endorse. Our education system, especially old school private, is dreadfully outdated.

Anecdote warning: my son got in to a select entry high school for science students. Cool huh, cutting edge public school with big investment from Monash uni for kids 15 plus who are good with science. What could go wrong? Lol. Uniforms, rules, assemblies, lecture style lessons, homework, work sheets, teaching to tests...

My son, with my support, paid scant attention and attended the minimum number of days and instead he mostly educated himself online with stuff he was interested in. He got the tiny atar score he needed to get into applied science at uni and as an 18 year old got 2 high distinctions and 2 distinctions in his first semester at university and that was not due to anything he experienced at school and everything to do with him being granted the freedom to pursue his own ideas and interests. Schooling seems to work against that to some degree.

The education system, like our political ideologies, are pre-tech and dated. We are living at the dawn of the post tech age that will likely change the nature of our societies, cultures, economies in profound and shocking ways, for good or ill - it’s hard to say. But what’s not hard to say is that our education system is still arguing with the 20th century.

End of rant.