Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Mental health and Well-being

Mental health and Well-being For discussion of the Black Dog and associated topics (please note this will be moderated as needed for everyone's safety).

Old 15th December 2015, 07:46 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: How should society manage drug addicts?

Its fun to get pissed. Its fun to get high. Its fun to trip. Its all fun. We were doing it at the origin of the species, we'll always do it...because its fun.

When it becomes a problem then maybe Alice Miller can help.
Like joele liked this post
Old 15th December 2015, 10:38 PM
Cuss-tard

I'm a drunk.

Please consider me when legislating. I might not be the person you think.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

@Goldenmane3

Like workmx, Darwinsbulldog liked this post
Old 16th December 2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
STOKER said View Post
Do any members have any thoughts on how society should manage people who are hopelessly addicted to heroin/ice etc, and have resorted to stealing to support their habit.
This is a 10 year plan I had. I think govt run shooting galleries should be set up that will sell a dose of whatever you like for the price of the needle.
My logic is:
  • Control the price: Big time drug smugglers and dealers just couldn't make a profit not to mention the risks involved. It would also reduce the police resources needed to investigate not only the drug trade but also drug related crime like burglaries and armed holdups
  • Control the hygiene: Clean needles reduce the number of people contracting blood born diseases like Hepatitis which will reduce the demands on our health system.
  • Control the dose: A reduced number of overdoses will relieve pressure on the ambulance and emergency departments.
  • Control the Frequency: This should reduce the number of new addictions.
There are of course a lot of caveats that go along with this plan but to also make the activity of obtaining and taking drugs about as exciting as standing in a dole queue and as fashionable as wearing flares.

The govt should be able to source most of the drugs quite cheaply from drug bust in other countries.
Thank STOKER thanked this post
Old 16th December 2015, 08:24 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
sifer said View Post
This is a 10 year plan I had. I think govt run shooting galleries should be set up that will sell a dose of whatever you like for the price of the needle.
My logic is:
  • Control the price: Big time drug smugglers and dealers just couldn't make a profit not to mention the risks involved. It would also reduce the police resources needed to investigate not only the drug trade but also drug related crime like burglaries and armed holdups
  • Control the hygiene: Clean needles reduce the number of people contracting blood born diseases like Hepatitis which will reduce the demands on our health system.
  • Control the dose: A reduced number of overdoses will relieve pressure on the ambulance and emergency departments.
  • Control the Frequency: This should reduce the number of new addictions.
There are of course a lot of caveats that go along with this plan but to also make the activity of obtaining and taking drugs about as exciting as standing in a dole queue and as fashionable as wearing flares.

The govt should be able to source most of the drugs quite cheaply from drug bust in other countries.
The other thing is to control the purity, though they won't be getting it from drug busts, but rather manufacturing it. A large portion of the health problems faced by users, particularly injecting ones, is the extra crap that is mixed into their drug of choice.

One of the problems is most countries can't distribute narcotic drugs to their population as it would impinge on the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961 and would result in UN sanctions. It is why in Portugal they completely decriminalized them but don't distribute them to users, and hence still can't eliminate drug dealers or completely control supply/purity.
Old 24th December 2015, 06:19 PM

Maybe we need to start with the police lmao Just had to post

Illicit Drug Data Report 2012-13 - Australian Crime ...
https://www.crimecommission.gov.au/s...DDR-2012-13.pd...
In South Australia, 4.7 per cent of illicit drug seizures related to heroin and other ... Cannabis remains the most commonly reported illicit drug used by police .... prices. The purpose of this report is to provide statistics and analysis to assist ...
Old 14th November 2017, 11:10 PM

I think that boredom is one of the primary causes behind all substance abuse. Given that economic activity is bad for the environment and largely unnecessary in our de-facto post scarcity economies in the advanced (sic) world I would suggest that intellectually satisfying and rewarding occupational therapy should be prioritised.
Old 14th November 2017, 11:27 PM
Dog is love

Quote:
Theorease said View Post
I think that boredom is one of the primary causes behind all substance abuse. Given that economic activity is bad for the environment and largely unnecessary in our de-facto post scarcity economies in the advanced (sic) world I would suggest that intellectually satisfying and rewarding occupational therapy should be prioritised.
A quickie with Doctor Google reveals a few more possibilities.

Quote:
Some possible causes of substance abuse may include:
General low self-esteem
General financial stress
Relationship difficulty (see Disorganization)
Relationship break-up
Divorce
Teenage experimentation
Grief

Some psychological disorders that may cause substance abuse include:
Depressive disorders
Depression
Dysthymia
Schizophrenia - where drugs or alcohol are used as a coping mechanism.
I didn't disagree to be disagreeable, but in my case, it wasn't boredom, but one of the other causes above, so I thought a few more possibilities needed considering.

Right, man... I'm probably wrong.