Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: President Donald Trump

I'm sick of waking up and immediately, after i've put the coffee to brew, jumping on a fucking website to find out what Trump has done and then...being weirdly disappointed when he's not the main story! My distaste for him is fucking up my brain.

We've probably all met, or been, new atheists who talk and think endlessly about how stupid god belief is to the point where the atheist talks more about god than the believer. We can develop, in that initial flourish of reality, a god complex whereby we obsess over the god we reject. Well, that's how i am with Trump. It's not a good state. I dreamed about him recently, that is Trump (i'm over god), but what disturbed me most was that in my dream he wasn't the evil protagonist but a mildly disturbing presence lurking in the background the way he stalked Hillary in one of those debates. Thing is my focus, like the debate, wasn't on the Hillary action but on the orange dream troller.

I don't remember waking up and checking the news for what Obama has done nor do i recall waking up and checking the news for what George W has done, especially in his 2nd term. This is crazy unhealthy stuff. Politicians should be bureaucrats quietly checking functional boxes, statesmen forming alliances or leaders rationally arguing their case for change...slowly and reasonably so that people can assess their evidence and argument. Trump is none of these. (i know you all know that here but i just feel the need to say it because it's just so fucking nutty).

For the first time in my adult life i'm seriously questioning whether China would be a better allay than the US. Atm, i'm still with America but...for fucks sake...!
Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Masha Gessen: what the US can learn from Russia

Richard Fidler Conversations today was quite interesting.

Quote:
Masha's family escaped the totalitarian regime of the Soviet Union when she was a teenager, and settled in the US.

Masha returned in the 1990s as communism collapsed, hopeful she could report on Russia's transition to democracy.

Instead, she witnessed the rise of Vladimir Putin, and became one of his fiercest critics.

In 2013 Masha moved back to the US with her family, fearing for their safety.

She has written extensively on the election of the Trump administration, and what she says are the troubling warning signs of autocracy in the US.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
óChaz Bufe, The American Hereticís Dictionary
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

My addiction to Trump-watching eased a while back, when he cut a deal with the Democrats on, I think, a budget measure. All Presidents are shackled by the legislative and judicial branches. Smart ones work within the system to get things done. Trump's not smart. His fuck-ups with "repeal and replace" showed that he won't be able to achieve anything. I still loathe him, but his failures in Congress were a turning point for me. All his half-arsed executive orders will be overturned by the next president. Of course he remains a disaster, but I' not gazing in horror like I used to.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I'm sick of waking up and immediately, after i've put the coffee to brew, jumping on a fucking website to find out what Trump has done and then...being weirdly disappointed when he's not the main story! My distaste for him is fucking up my brain.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
My addiction to Trump-watching eased a while back, when he cut a deal with the Democrats on, I think, a budget measure. All Presidents are shackled by the legislative and judicial branches. Smart ones work within the system to get things done. Trump's not smart. His fuck-ups with "repeal and replace" showed that he won't be able to achieve anything. I still loathe him, but his failures in Congress were a turning point for me. All his half-arsed executive orders will be overturned by the next president. Of course he remains a disaster, but I' not gazing in horror like I used to.
Iím not there yet, or if I was, iíve been dragged back into the crazy. Probably need a few days off line.