Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Women's issues and equality

Women's issues and equality Safe zone for the discussion of women's rights and equality

Old 29th November 2017, 11:10 PM
AFA Life Member - I see ...

Smile Re: 19 yo girl sells virginity for 3.9 million

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Perhaps that is where the discussion might have been restarted, David, with acknowledging the harm of loose-thoughts, including yours even though they may never have been intended to cause harm, they clearly did.
There is a history that has never properly been reported that makes the water here less clear than it possibly should be. If I was of a nature to blast those I considered responsible for many of the ills that have befallen the AFA I would be doing so against all the things I hold dear in life. I accept that humans are frail and make mistakes and I certainly do not wish to start a blame game about those circumstances. I have had to wiggle around facts so as not to implicate others at a great personal cost to me. I'm not complaining about that but am disappointed there was not greater recognition of what was really going on in the AFA that led to a very bad situation.

All of this has made an unfortunate set of circumstances that some have benefited from because of erroneous preconceived ideas promoted by people I used to trust.

No complaints about this as this is how people are, including me. But to make me the devil incarnate is really over the top but understandable.

So yes, I may have loose thoughts as you say, but they are not so loose as to let my brains fall out as the saying goes.

Don't ask me about any of the above because I will not be telling. Those who were less than ethical in all of this know they are safe with me. I do wonder though, how they sleep at night.

David
Old 29th November 2017, 11:19 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: 19 yo girl sells virginity for 3.9 million

As you say, I have no idea of what you’re referring to and I don’t want to know, i’ll obviously judge each poster and their posts for myself. We’re all pretty shitty in our way. Forget, forgive, move on...in the end what realistic other option is there? Just leave, and don’t log on again. Or, we’re all hopelessly flawed and that’s all there is. (Speaking personally there, not saying that about others). Move on.
Old 29th November 2017, 11:27 PM
AFA Life Member - I see ...

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
As you say, I have no idea of what youíre referring to and I donít want to know, iíll obviously judge each poster and their posts for myself. Weíre all pretty shitty in our way. Forget, forgive, move on...in the end what realistic other option is there? Just leave, and donít log on again. Or, weíre all hopelessly flawed and thatís all there is. (Speaking personally there, not saying that about others). Move on.
It is difficult, if not impossible to judge each post on its merits without taking into account the historical context of the poster. That may not be initially evident but at some stage it will be to most who follow each thread.

Iv'e considered not logging on and it is a real option. I always forgive, but never forget. That would be an act of stupidity until proof of a change was evident. Then I would forget.

This is not leading anywhere and I'm going to bed

David
Like pipbarber liked this post
Old 30th November 2017, 12:04 AM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
David Nicholls said View Post
Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Perhaps that is where the discussion might have been restarted, David, with acknowledging the harm of loose-thoughts, including yours even though they may never have been intended to cause harm, they clearly did.
There is a history that has never properly been reported that makes the water here less clear than it possibly should be. If I was of a nature to blast those I considered responsible for many of the ills that have befallen the AFA I would be doing so against all the things I hold dear in life. I accept that humans are frail and make mistakes and I certainly do not wish to start a blame game about those circumstances. I have had to wiggle around facts so as not to implicate others at a great personal cost to me. I'm not complaining about that but am disappointed there was not greater recognition of what was really going on in the AFA that led to a very bad situation.

All of this has made an unfortunate set of circumstances that some have benefited from because of erroneous preconceived ideas promoted by people I used to trust.

No complaints about this as this is how people are, including me. But to make me the devil incarnate is really over the top but understandable.

So yes, I may have loose thoughts as you say, but they are not so loose as to let my brains fall out as the saying goes.

Don't ask me about any of the above because I will not be telling. Those who were less than ethical in all of this know they are safe with me. I do wonder though, how they sleep at night.

David
The fuck are you babbling about, David? 'I'm not going to talk about this, but I'm going to allude to a bunch of shit without having the guts to fucking take a podium.'

A wise man once said, "Shit or get off the pot.".

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

@Goldenmane3

Old 30th November 2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post

G'day GM. I have never heard that version, I've only heard "Piss or get off the pot."

This thread reminds me of that old joke:

Quote:
Man to woman: Would you sleep with me for one million dollars?
Woman: Sure.
Man: How about for ten dollars?
Woman: What do you think I am?
Man: We've already established what you are. All we're doing is bargaining about price.
Change the job in the joke to being a shit-shoveller. Would you shovel shit for a million bucks? I'm sure you would. Does that make you a shit-shoveller? (no offense btw, lol!) Probably. Does it matter? Nope. Take away the concept of sin and the joke is lost.
Old 30th November 2017, 10:27 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post

G'day GM. I have never heard that version, I've only heard "Piss or get off the pot."

This thread reminds me of that old joke:

Quote:
Man to woman: Would you sleep with me for one million dollars?

Woman: Sure.

Man: How about for ten dollars?

Woman: What do you think I am?

Man: We've already established what you are. All we're doing is bargaining about price.

Change the job in the joke to being a shit-shoveller. Would you shovel shit for a million bucks? I'm sure you would. Does that make you a shit-shoveller? (no offense btw, lol!) Probably. Does it matter? Nope. Take away the concept of sin and the joke is lost.

Nope, Iím lost. I have no idea what youíre trying to say. Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30th November 2017, 11:06 PM
Anus Emeritus

Quote:
Mjt said View Post

I see the concepts of objectification, empowerment, and informed consent have been lost somewhere amid the flurry of egos.

Got unfilled Atheist needs? Let me know.

Like SEG, Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 1st December 2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Mjt said View Post

I was comparing the old joke (which makes the woman appear to be a prostitute, and hence is an undesirable job) to a shit shoveller - or insert any other undesirable job. Take away the concept of sinning by being a prostitute and the joke is erased. I don't think that prostitution is a sin, or that the joke is funny, btw. I was just making an observation.
Old 1st December 2017, 06:17 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
SEG said View Post
Quote:
Mjt said View Post

I was comparing the old joke (which makes the woman appear to be a prostitute, and hence is an undesirable job) to a shit shoveller - or insert any other undesirable job. Take away the concept of sinning by being a prostitute and the joke is erased. I don't think that prostitution is a sin, or that the joke is funny, btw. I was just making an observation.
I admit this story and the thread has confronted me.

I'm sure you agree the joke is actually inherently hypocritical. It's a male's joke. It's the fantasising about forbidden fruit dressed up as moralism. It's not really that we empathise with her, the prostitute for doing a hard job, doing it hard, we are degrading her. She is characterised as dirty, no better than a low class, ill bred shit shoveler, a slut, though there was always a niche there, as they were both always useful to the bourgeoisie, the gentry.

This rich man is happily coughing up $3.9m for status. The lady has nothing to lose and could sure use $3.9m.

The word 'virgin' is an ancient meme, a cultural self replicator. It ought to now be dismissed. It has no public validity whatsoever.
Like two dogs, wolty, Mjt, odd, knowledge is power and 2 others liked this post
Thank SEG thanked this post
Old 1st December 2017, 10:00 PM
What Me Deluded?

Surely the male fixation on virginity has a Darwinian explanation in terms of the selfish gene. It seems pretty universal in societies and cultures. Then it becomes a sacred attribute in belief systems. Virgins get sacrificed in the Inca world.

The male demands assurance that his mate is not already pregnant or promiscuous. He wants ownership which he will compete for and will defend possibly to the death in male mammals. Men can kill over sexual jealousy, as can women too though they are much less likely to.

David Hume realised you can't make an ought from an is, given that the process of evolution so far, devoid of intentionality, has conferred very existence itself upon we fortunate inheritors.

Since the sexual revolution and the advent of feminism women are gaining autonomy, resetting the rules. We have biological, pharmacological, medical technology.

Those societies where women haven't been able to achieve present levels of autonomy or haven't begun to are backward.

Last edited by Strato; 1st December 2017 at 10:07 PM.
Like SEG liked this post