Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 14th September 2017, 09:26 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: President Donald Trump

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
The problem is this, the elected person in these "democracies" seem to think they have been elected to represent only the people who voted for them and can therefore ignore the needs and desires of those who don't.
I think its worse than that. The structures of the government institutions are reinforcing that.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 14th September 2017, 09:38 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
I think its worse than that. The structures of the government institutions are reinforcing that.

Certainly there is more, I had to cut short my comment due to work requirements so couldn't explore it properly, but it's the issue that has led to all the problems in the middle east with the new democracies, they think they are doing democracy, but they aren't, it's just totalitarianism under a different name!
Old 15th September 2017, 09:16 AM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

Hail To The Chimp?

Quote:
Chimpanzee politics can be intricate, but they always obey the rules of social dominance. Because chimps and humans evolved from a common ancestor going back 5-7m years, we humans know deep in our brains what social dominance is all about. Our expectation that social status can be seized through physical power and threat Ė that the strongest, biggest and boldest may indeed lord it over the rest of us Ė is very old, awesomely intuitive, and deeply ingrained.

Social psychologists today distinguish between the social dominance form of human leadership, on the one hand, and leadership through prestige on the other. Both are grounded in human evolution, but the prestige form is younger, tracing back a mere million years or so to the time when our hominid ancestors began to form culture. In the prestige paradigm, leaders attain their authority in the group by demonstrating culturally valued expertise Ė as, for example, in cooking, defending the tribe, healing, peacemaking, or (in the modern world) science, education, technology, the arts, business, law, medicine, communication, and so on.

For human beings today, dominance and prestige compete with each other as the two primal expressions of leadership.

When it comes to US presidents, we expect to see a bit of both.

For Trump, however, it is dominance all the way through.

An especially effective dominance mechanism for the alpha chimp is the charging display. The top male essentially goes berserk and starts screaming, hooting, and gesticulating wildly as he charges toward other males nearby. Pandemonium ensues as rival males cower in fear and females grab their little ones and run for cover.
Context and a few bananas at source.

My confirmation bias is better 'n your confirmation bias.

Like Blue Lightning, DanDare liked this post
Laugh at wadaye laughed at this post
Old 24th September 2017, 10:54 PM

A Group of Experts Wrote a Book About Donald Trump’s Mental Health—and the Controversy Has Just Begun
Quote:
There will not be a book published this fall more urgent, important, or controversial than The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump, the work of 27 psychiatrists, psychologists and mental health experts to assess President Trump’s mental health. They had come together last March at a conference at Yale University to wrestle with two questions. One was on countless minds across the country: “What’s wrong with him?” The second was directed to their own code of ethics: “Does Professional Responsibility Include a Duty to Warn” if they conclude the president to be dangerously unfit?

As mental health professionals, these men and women respect the long-standing “Goldwater rule” which inhibits them from diagnosing public figures whom they have not personally examined. At the same time, as explained by Dr. Bandy X Lee, who teaches law and psychiatry at Yale School of Medicine, the rule does not have a countervailing rule that directs what to do when the risk of harm from remaining silent outweighs the damage that could result from speaking about a public figure—”which in this case, could even be the greatest possible harm.” It is an old and difficult moral issue that requires a great exertion of conscience. Their decision: “We respect the rule, we deem it subordinate to the single most important principle that guides our professional conduct: that we hold our responsibility to human life and well-being as paramount.”

Hence, this profound, illuminating and discomforting book undertaken as “a duty to warn.”

The foreword is by one of America’s leading psychohistorians, Robert Jay Lifton. He is renowned for his studies of people under stress—for books such as Death in Life: Survivors of Hiroshima (1967), Home from the War: Vietnam Veterans—Neither Victims nor Executioners (1973), and The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing and the Psychology of Genocide(1986). The Nazi Doctors was the first in-depth study of how medical professionals rationalized their participation in the Holocaust, from the early stages of the Hitler’s euthanasia project to extermination camps.

The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump will be published Oct. 3 by St. Martin’s Press.
Goes on to an interview with Lifton.

Compelling.

Like knowledge is power liked this post
Thank DanDare, wadaye thanked this post
Old 30th September 2017, 07:54 AM

Trump Hands 80 Percent of Proposed Tax Cut to Top 1 Percent - Mother Jones linky

Quote:
President Donald Trump is insisting that he wonít personally benefit from his new tax plan. Thatís been obviously false from the start. Now a new analysis from the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center shows just how detached that claim is from reality.

According to TPCís preliminary estimate, the top 1 percent of Americans will get 53 percent of the benefits under Trumpís plan next year, and 79.7 percent by 2027. The numbers for the top 0.1 percent of Americans are even more extreme. By 2027, the top 0.1 percent would get an annual average tax cut of $1.02 million. The bottom 60 percent of Americans would get $233 on average, or 8.7 percent of all cuts. In other words, the average tax cut for the top 0.1 percent is 4,386 larger than what most Americans would get. Americans who make between $150,000 and $300,000 would actually pay about $800 more under Trumpís plan.
More@Source.

Somebody's making great $$ from America again.

Old 30th September 2017, 11:34 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
When you look at the transcript of what Ryan said, itís kind of mind-boggling how on-message he is:
So, hereís what this is about: This is about delivering middle-class taxpayers tax relief. Ah, there are a lot of people in this country working paycheck to paycheck, a lot of people in this country, because of the slow-growth economy we had in the Obama, years never got a raise. Lotta economic anxiety. So this is really about that. This is about letting those hardworking taxpayers keep more of their money and giving them a tax break.
Like every time Ryan and Trump talk about policy, of course, this is a lie.Their plan raises taxes on the middle class and cuts taxes for the top one percent.
Full Article...

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 1st October 2017, 10:17 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Current assessment of the situation by Robert Reich

Quote:
Donald Trump is no longer the president of the United States. Oh sure, he has the title and he has the bully pulpit – from which he’s bullying everyone from NBA players to people protesting white supremacists to DACA kids. But he’s not actively governing the United States. That work is happening elsewhere – in Congress, the courts, the Fed, the career civil service, lobbyists, and in the states. Or it’s not happening at all.
full text here: https://www.facebook.com/RBReich/posts/1719151074764148
Old 13th October 2017, 11:26 AM
AFA Member

I am sure it's just bluster and would never happen, but I guess where adoring crowds don't follow him around applauding, threats are the next best thing;

Quote:
President Donald Trump slammed Puerto Rico on Thursday, saying its power grid and infrastructure were a "disaster" before two hurricanes hit last month and he threatened to pull federal emergency management workers from the storm-ravaged island.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...onders-n810036

I am sure that abandoning Puerto Rican's, an American territory, with American citizens who strangely enough don't have the right to vote in American elections, would be the end of him for sure. But as someone said about the Tones in a similar way, if you throw enough shit out in all directions people won't notice the occasional rock hitting bystanders!
Old 13th October 2017, 02:01 PM
AFA Member

Hmm, and here's one I hadn't heard about!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41598991

Quote:
Israel has said it will join the US in pulling out of the UN's cultural organisation Unesco, after US officials cited "anti-Israel bias".

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the US decision as "brave and moral", a statement said.

The agency is known for designating world heritage sites such as Syria's Palmyra and the US Grand Canyon.

But I am guessing it's less to do with anti-Israel bias than this;

Quote:
Unesco is an easy target for US President Donald Trump - it is a multilateral body with educational and developmental goals like promoting sex education, literacy and equality for women.

The US withdrawal will be seen by many as a manifestation of Mr Trump's "America First" approach and his across-the-board hostility to multilateral organisations; the irony being that Unesco is part of the international architecture that the US helped to establish in the wake of World War Two.

I can't imagine the right wing evangelicals having much time for Unesco.

(Sorry a side point here, shouldn't Unesco, as an acronym be all caps, as in UNESCO, whereas if it was a new name made from parts of several words then you could use a leading cap and the rest small?)

Anyway, it appears finance is also an issue, but it seems to be a self-created issue. Unesco is in arrears financially, but this is because the US stopped providing its funding share after it made some decisions it disagreed with. Unesco has continued to bill the US and the US now owes Unesco 500m, so complaints about funding seem to be a bit...well, rich!

As I said I hadn't heard about this before, I guess this must fit in with Trump's achievements we hear so much about!
Old 13th October 2017, 05:36 PM
AFA Member

Pandering to his mob I suppose. He’d probably withdraw from the UN if he could, less people to criticise him.