Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 13th January 2018, 12:03 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Default Re: President Donald Trump

In the "interesting little titbits" bucket this morning is the discussion on how the media of various non-english speaking countries have chosen to present the word "shithole".

Some have simply made vague reference, some have simply repeated the English idiom, others have used a translation, others have used a convenient word from the local lingo.

Most interesting so far is Croatia, which has a ready-made word for "place in the middle of nowhere that noone goes to" - vukojebina - the literal translation of which is - "place where wolves fuck".

Can't provide a link to where I found it, twas a twitter convo which I have now lost.

Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 13th January 2018, 12:10 PM
I Walk With Dog

Re "Shitholes" - The Discworld placename of Sto Helit is an anagram of "Shittole": this may not be an accident.

Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky, the majority believe you.
Tell people the paint is wet, they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Thank yowie thanked this post
Old 14th January 2018, 09:24 AM
AFA Member

The biggest shit-hole on the planet is Trump's mouth.
Old 14th January 2018, 10:48 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Probably not Drumpfs fault but this happened yesterday in Hawaii.

The image is apparently parents lowering their children into the sewer system after emergency servers accidentally sent an emergency alert informing all persons a ballistic missile was on course for the the islands. It was thankfully a false alarm, but for 38 minutes the terror was real.

A Obama era defense official named Patrick Granfield noted he was glad Trump was playing golf.
Old 15th January 2018, 09:14 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Sieveboy said View Post
Probably not Drumpfs fault but this happened yesterday in Hawaii.

The image is apparently parents lowering their children into the sewer system after emergency servers accidentally sent an emergency alert informing all persons a ballistic missile was on course for the the islands. It was thankfully a false alarm, but for 38 minutes the terror was real.

A Obama era defense official named Patrick Granfield noted he was glad Trump was playing golf.

People really are wimps. The reality is that we have insane nations with nuclear weapons. A missile strike or two is more likely than not. And you actually can't say it is a drill until after the exercise. Because people won't take it seriously. Mind you, I don't know if there is a lot of lives to be saved in a serious nuclear exchange. Most of the shelters would be cold-war era if they still exist, and are probably not maintained. The dude shoving his kid down a manhole was doing it right though. In normal times, not worth the risk. But it was a lot more effective than when we drilled in school, hiding under the desks. I guess armed forces brats could handle it more- a lot liked the break in routine. But sometimes there is not a lot you can do, except hope to be at ground zero.

It was just a part of life then. Watching the V-bombers [Vulcans I think?] take off, either as a drill, or in times of high alert, when they put assets up in the air or out to sea, so that some survive to give strike-back capability.

Personally I found bullets smacking into a wall inches from my head in Cyprus far more terrifying. The idea that some wanker is taking pot-shots at a kid for no apparent reason got me pissed.

But then, people don't behave much better at the international level do they, wanting to turn people into radioactive dust for power, nationalism or ideology or some shit.

What was it they said in the Nam? "It don't mean nothin".

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 15th January 2018 at 09:49 AM.