Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Pseudoscience and anti-science

Pseudoscience and anti-science Debunking Creationism, Homoeopathy etc

Old 12th April 2017, 02:00 PM

Default Re: depression, it depresses me!

Celebrities who offer these kind of solutions do not understand depression! Unfortunately, and disappointingly, it is not just Hollywood celebrities, it is also other "experts", qualified, who clearly do not understand the psychological mechanisms. The first mistake "experts" make is to treat depression through the conscious when depression is a symptom of the unconscious, i.e. repression. No matter how many "solutions" are offered, the unconscious will kick in, and override any conscious efforts to change behaviour. If you want to fix your problems you have to address the unconscious.
Old 12th April 2017, 02:35 PM

How to access the unconscious is through bodily awareness, i.e. by bypassing the conscious mind, I have found. For me been able to do it by meditation and smoking marijuana. In this way can "regress", bringing into consciousness my repressed emotions in their original context. For example, shameful feelings in the context of childhood trauma. Problem with pharmaceuticals, I had, is that they self-alienate, where as marijuana self-integrates, i.e. helps me access my feelings. (This could just be me, the fact that mighty marijuana agrees with my brain chemistry.)

All I can really say about celebrity advice, in general, is the people who offer information about depression, in particular New Age authors, do not understand the mechanisms (emotional, mental, physical) because otherwise why would they publish books or on the Web information that can not help people, except superficially, with their problems?

Some celebrated authors reckon the way out is through the light... I can only assume they are not familiar with the parable of the prisoner who died of exhaustion attempting to escape through the window of his cell when there was a short tunnel through the darkness to freedom if only the prisoner had looked... (The tunnel, of course, is the unconscious. The window is the conscious.)

Last edited by tmorg; 12th April 2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 13th April 2017, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Walking around barefoot outside isn’t a sure-fire way to step on something sharp — it’s actually an incredibly powerful healer for mental and physical woes including depression.
I am a barefooter and I have never suffered from depression. Therefore I find this scientific paper to be entirely accurate.

Now to read some more of it . . .

Quote:
swear by earthing for everything from inflammation and arthritis to insomnia
I am a barefooter and I suffer from insomnia. Therefore I find this scientific paper to be entirely inaccurate!

What is the world coming to when we can't trust the peer-reviewed research papers of celebrity scientists?!?
Old 13th April 2017, 07:54 PM
AFA Member

I used to lecture barefoot at uni. Somehow it kept me grounded. But I am a moronic psycho anyway so.....
Old 26th April 2017, 11:01 AM
Deepity-packed chopper

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Oh dear, Gwyneth Paltrow's parents forgot to add brains to the beauty.
Never mind, Sir Pup, here's another fine article shaking the poop out of goop.

Just a taste...
Quote:
When it comes to the very important task of picking a sunscreen, Paltrow uses another scary word in the world of Goop: “chemical.” According to Paltrow, some sunscreens are “chemical” (fake, bad) and others are “mineral” (natural, good). However, just as she doesn’t understand what a toxin is, Paltrow also doesn’t seem to know what a chemical is.

Let us first examine the definition of “chemical” before we dig into Paltrow’s seemingly well-intentioned advice. A chemical is, quite literally, any substance. Life is composed of building blocks of chemicals in different formations. Chemicals do not have a morality. Chemicals simply... are. It’s easy to make a chemical sound scary if you haven’t heard of it before — have you heard of that malicious oxidane? Everyone who’s ever died has had it in their system…. It’s in baby food, it’s in pesticides, it’s even in the water supply. Should you be worried about oxidane?

No. Because oxidane is another word for water.

All your mistakes are lurking at Archive.org

Old 31st July 2017, 08:52 PM
Deepity-packed chopper

More Paltrow fun and games:

Quote:
A doctor is calling out Goop's alternative health tips and Gwyneth Paltrow is not having it

Dr Jen Gunter, an obstetrician and gynecologist in the San Francisco Bay Area, didn't mean to pick on Goop, Gwyneth Paltrow's lifestyle and wellness e-commerce company. In fact, she's a fan of Paltrow's acting.

"Shakespeare in Love is one of my favourite movies," Gunter said. "She was so wonderful in that movie."

But she doesn't think much of the stories posted by Goop on health and sex.

One that sent the doctor to her blog earlier this year was the suggestion in a Goop story that women insert jade eggs into their vaginas to improve their sex lives.

"I read the post on Goop, and all I can tell you is it is the biggest load of garbage I have read on your site since vaginal steaming," Gunter, 51, wrote on her personal blog, which carries the tagline "Wielding the Lasso of Truth".

Another Goop story that said bra-wearing may increase the chance of breast cancer also irked Gunter. "It's breast size that increases the risk of breast cancer," she wrote in retort.

What about another practice recommended by a doctor interviewed on Goop: cleansing the body with goat's milk as a hedge against parasites?

"I'd just write it off as crazy except some people are going to follow this advice and waste a lot of money," Gunter wrote, adding a certain modifier before "crazy."
Oh, so much more at source...

All your mistakes are lurking at Archive.org