Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 2nd April 2017, 06:55 AM
AFA Member

Default Day of Reason

I'd like to propose the celebration of an International Day of Reason, to be held annually on the 1st July.

Believers have a plethora of feast days and days of celebration, so why not us?
The day would highlight the contributions and work of atheists in our communities, as well as giving us a particular day to focus on our own non-belief.

I've chosen the 1st July as:
1- it's a simple, memorable date, with no conflicting days on the calendar (at least in Aus.).
2- It's as far, on the calendar, from the main religious (and non-religious) celebrations of Christmas and New Year as it can be.

In general;

3- Such a day could be a time for non-believers to come together and reflect on our own thoughts and ideals.
4- It could reinforce to authorities the idea that not all of us are bound up in the myths of religion and would stress the need for rational, independent thought in all aspects of our private and public lives.
5- It could give atheists, rationalists, humanists and other fellow thinkers a day of experiencing a sense of belonging together in our own personal stands on the matters of religion and other irrational forces in our lives.
6- Finally, by focussing on our own ideas and ideals, we reinforce our own commitment to our views of the world.
Like Svadifari, Spud Henley liked this post
Old 2nd April 2017, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Day of Reason

Good idea.
I've actually heard somewhere that November 17 is the only date NOT designated as International Day of something or other. I remember that because it's my sister's birthday.
Old 2nd April 2017, 07:23 AM
AFA Member

Thanks Svadifari, I just like the stark simplicity of 1st July. I guess if we have to move it we can.
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:25 AM
AFA Member

The only wrinkle I can think of is that theists imagine they can reason. They can of course, but not about their own dog.
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:38 AM
AFA Member

Might be tricky to start something up like international reason day, as laudable as the idea is. We do have Feb 12, Darwin Day. Probably that could be expanded and popularised a bit more than it currently is.
Like Darwinsbulldog liked this post
Old 5th April 2017, 12:52 PM
AFA Member

Pip you may be right. At least Darwin Day has a "handle", Darwin, to hang ideas on - a day of reason has nothing specific to address.
Old 14th April 2017, 01:19 AM

We should have it, and own 1st of April being fools day as the Christians think we are fools, turn it on them.