Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 21st April 2017, 08:36 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Default Re: Easiest way to deal with the JW's that just visited.

here is another way

Russia bans Jehovah's Witnesses and labels group as extremists

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...sses?CMP=fb_gu

Quote:
Russia’s supreme court has banned the Jehovah’s Witnesses from operating in the country, accepting a request from the justice ministry that the religious organization be considered an extremist group.
Old 21st April 2017, 09:55 AM
AFA Member

I wonder which minority religion will be next? lots of good property for the state to seize.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:41 AM
AFA Member

I can't help but think this was the result of influence from the Russian Orthodox Church. Like the Tsars, Putin has co-opted them into the power structure of the state.
Like Blue Lightning, Stubby liked this post
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:23 AM
What Me Deluded?

I'm sure Putin authentically deems himself consecrated to and sanctified by the Russian Orthodox Church. The man is a puritan, a true believer. He is one dimensional, single-eyed. He is also possibly the world's richest individual.

Just as the cynical Trump from the show The Apprentice fame, pronouncing gloatingly, "you're fired!" at the conclusion of each stupefyingly mediocre episode, who represents the worst in America, Putin represents the worst in Russia, although he has certainly fostered that in his long tenure. The beautiful Resistance is rising up, however.

How ever do these individuals come to govern and represent the people?

I also feel sure the JWs will gain credibility and converts from Russian State suppression, "liquidation", taking effect immediately.
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:37 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
WesternGeo said View Post
I can't help but think this was the result of influence from the Russian Orthodox Church. Like the Tsars, Putin has co-opted them into the power structure of the state.
Sadly the rest of the worlds religions and sub-sects won't learn the valuable lesson to be had from this, that unless you belong to the state sponsored religion/sect then a theocracy is bad for all religions. The rabid christians in the US demand a theocracy because they think they will be at the top of the pile, the reality is 99% of them will be on the bottom being oppressed by the 1% of true believers who gain the rulers ears.

Secularism is the only true protector of religious freedom, it's a lesson they never seem to learn no matter how many times it is demonstrated to them.
Thank 142857 thanked this post
Old 22nd April 2017, 04:54 AM
It's good to know when it's time

Please forgive the fussiness of an old man - isn't there a JW thread here in RUST for JW generality, now that Banjo's visitors have been dealt with?

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Old 26th April 2017, 02:10 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Sadly the rest of the worlds religions and sub-sects won't learn the valuable lesson to be had from this, that unless you belong to the state sponsored religion/sect then a theocracy is bad for all religions. The rabid christians in the US demand a theocracy because they think they will be at the top of the pile, the reality is 99% of them will be on the bottom being oppressed by the 1% of true believers who gain the rulers ears.

Secularism is the only true protector of religious freedom, it's a lesson they never seem to learn no matter how many times it is demonstrated to them.
This should be even more clear in the US with such a huge range of Protestant denominations. They may broadly agree on some things like opposition to SMS and abortion, but if it came to actually having direct power their fragmented religious nature would make it unworkable.
Old 26th April 2017, 03:41 PM
It's good to know when it's time

Quote:
WesternGeo said View Post
[This should be even more clear in the US with such a huge range of Protestant denominations. They may broadly agree on some things like opposition to SMS and abortion, but if it came to actually having direct power their fragmented religious nature would make it unworkable.
There's a religion that hates text messages on the mobile phone? Where do I sign up?

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 26th April 2017, 05:16 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Sounds like one of the Jewish sects, Hasidic, I believe who hate technology.
Old 26th April 2017, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Knock Here For Jehovah's Witnesses - All-purpose JW thread.

Problem with JWs is that they KNOW that God is watching over them and looking out for them.

I was at my sister's house a few years back. She had a high mesh fence across the front of her property, about 1.2 metres. We were in her front yard. My dog (a large Golden Retriever, about 40 kilos) and her dog (a Great Dane / Pitbull mix rescue dog, 50+ kilos) were patrolling.

A middle-aged JW couple turned up at the front gate. The dogs went mad trying to out-bark and out-growl each other. No sane person would have entered. But the male JW simple cooed in a gentle voice: "oh my, aren't you both so beautiful".

He reached over and opened the latch on the gate, letting himself in. Both dogs wagged their tails while he patted them. Then he came over and told us how much God loved us (or something like that), how beautiful our dogs were, and gave us pamphlets.