Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 2nd June 2012, 07:24 AM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

I just listened to this. I take it that it was just the first part?

I had a thought whilst listening.

A huge difference with regards atheism and aboriginal spirituality and the lack of conversations is that aboriginal spirituality isn't rammed down people's throats,there are no aboriginal spirituality door-knockers, it isn't taught as fact in schools to primary aged children, there are no aboriginal spirituality churches that receive enormous tax breaks.

The human race isn't assaulted with aboriginals trying to convince everyone that the dreamtime stories are true and that we all need to convert or we are really up the shit.

Sent telepathically.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:49 AM
AFA Member

Nails head Mr Wolty, I think you may have hit it.
Nice post
Old 9th June 2012, 10:56 AM
-

Default Re: John 844 a question

Quote:
wolty said View Post
I just listened to this. I take it that it was just the first part?

I had a thought whilst listening.

A huge difference with regards atheism and aboriginal spirituality and the lack of conversations is that aboriginal spirituality isn't rammed down people's throats,there are no aboriginal spirituality door-knockers, it isn't taught as fact in schools to primary aged children, there are no aboriginal spirituality churches that receive enormous tax breaks.

The human race isn't assaulted with aboriginals trying to convince everyone that the dreamtime stories are true and that we all need to convert or we are really up the shit.

Sent telepathically.
And yet bizarrely, if one looks back through history, Christians had no trouble trying to ram their rubbish down the aboriginals.
Old 10th June 2012, 06:39 AM
Extant

Quote:
wolty said View Post

I fear this actually comes from two mundane facts. Firstly, aboriginal spirituality is an old religion, not an evangelical one or with an evangelical splinter group, and secondly it is held among numerically few people who did not run the most recent spate of conquering. I have encountered in an indirect way aboriginal spirituality held as forcefully as any other woo when its perceived interests were threatened. In most of the public instances it is very hard to disentangle that from legitimate problems for which spirits may dragged up in support.
Old 10th June 2012, 08:35 AM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Thanks Xeno for an interesting post.
More thinking is required maybe on Johns (and my) part. It was my main gripe I had with a throwaway line that was used at the beginning.

Sent telepathically.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 10th June 2012, 03:14 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Xeno said View Post
I have encountered in an indirect way aboriginal spirituality held as forcefully as any other woo
I have, on rare occasions, come across it as well. It's a little disconcerting to encounter someone who believes themselves to be a magician capable of summoning ancient aboriginal spirits to curse you with.

No odder than any other would-be magicians, I guess, but still.

@Goldenmane3

Old 15th May 2017, 01:55 PM
AFA Member

Blast from the past for John Safran - Miwanpela's name has appeared in a book... along with the forum. Stay tuned...