Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 1st May 2017, 06:44 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: 20 million people without food

I think it is important for everybody to do something to help in such situations.
Old 1st May 2017, 07:53 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
I think it is important for everybody to do something to help in such situations.
What would you suggest Wadaye?
Old 1st May 2017, 08:21 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
What would you suggest Wadaye?
I am just following my own psychology that when one does something oneself, for example (tax deductible) donations to UNICEF or MSF or other reputable aid organistaions then there is a hopeful expectation that others will also do something. Of course no organisation is perfect but that does not stop them actually saving a great many lives.
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:32 AM
AFA Member

it's also relevant to note that a starving population cannot guarantee the safety of wildlife which also suffers during the drought/famine and also from increased predation including from humans.
Old 20th May 2017, 01:03 AM
AFA Member

Famine happening now in Somalia.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...ut_a_22097999/
Meanwhile Australia is cutting international aid.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Mjt thanked this post
Old 20th May 2017, 10:10 AM
AFA Member

To be fair, the main problem is NOT about governments, or corporations, or individuals not giving enough food or money. The main problem is a logistical one. Food transportation and distribution assets need to be protected by military force, if necessary.

While it is all very well to appeal to the better natures of warring warlords, this more often than not does not work.

In other words, massive military intervention. If it were London or New York, this would have already happened.

But even if the UN went into these trouble-spots, there would be no long term solution, because massive intervention creates it's own problems. You win the battle, but lose the war for peace.

That is, if one can drum up the political will to do anything in the first place.....

Very few member states of the UN can legitimately call themselves "honest brokers", which is why it is so hard for the UN to keep the peace, even if military action is sanctioned, which it seldom is. Mostly it is just a case of a thin blue line of UN troops with appalling ROE's who are slaughtered by the belligerents, which is why the UN uses that option rarely as well.
Old 31st May 2017, 09:02 AM
AFA Member

Huffington Post says donating cash to established aid agencies is the best humanitarian response (rather than people taking matters into their own hands)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...es_a_21897259/
Old 31st May 2017, 09:44 AM
Face Palms...

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Huffington Post says donating cash to established aid agencies is the best humanitarian response (rather than people taking matters into their own hands)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...es_a_21897259/
It should go without saying: choose your agency carefully.

Be wary: Snark-infested waters.