Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 13th October 2017, 07:22 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Default Re: President Donald Trump

all this over a decision to make the Tomb of the Patriarchs a UNESCO heritage site. a real political decision over a tomb for fictitious characters. oy vey.
Old 14th October 2017, 06:29 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

It doesn't surprise me. UNESCO is a green-leftist-internationalist-conspriacy, after all
Old 14th October 2017, 10:08 AM

The isrealis are claiming anti semitism, i'm so tired of religious persercurtion complexes but isreal is the worst for that nonsense. The moment you question an isreali nationlist they allways squeal about hiw racist you are for not taking a side in complex conflict.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 14th October 2017, 10:20 AM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Quote:
LadyGreen said View Post
The isrealis are claiming anti semitism, i'm so tired of religious persercurtion complexes but isreal is the worst for that nonsense. The moment you question an isreali nationlist they allways squeal about hiw racist you are for not taking a side in complex conflict.

Perhaps a bit strong in the generalisation. Certainly there's confusion regarding the ethnicity/nation/religion, and some parties conflate or differentiate selectively.

If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce? - Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Old 14th October 2017, 11:05 AM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Really interesting article on partisanship in US politics.

Peter Hartcher: Blame, shame and party lines

Quote:
Bruce Stokes saw the interview on TV and it summed up an astonishing reality of US politics. An American mother says she voted for Donald Trump and then realised that Obamacare had saved her son's life.

Trump campaigned on a pledge to tear up Obamacare, Barack Obama's health insurance plan that provided subsidised health insurance to tens of millions of Americans who'd never been able to afford any.

The mother explains that her son needed an expensive procedure that she could not have afforded otherwise. So how will you vote next time, the interviewer asks? I'll vote for Trump again, she replies.

Trump has so far failed to persuade the US Congress to repeal Obamacare in its entirety, so on Friday (Australian time) the President signed an executive order that starts to dismantle it, a bit at a time, as he promised he'd do. He also promises to replace it, but the replacement version is so far unexplained and non-existent.

Much more at link. It's really interesting.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 14th October 2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
It doesn't surprise me. UNESCO is a green-leftist-internationalist-conspriacy, after all
funded by Soros
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 14th October 2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
LadyGreen said View Post

that is indeed a strong statement, which is patently false.

firstly, many other nationalists, and I would argue all nationalists, are like that. ever tried arguing with a Russian? a Chinese? a Pakistani? while they obviously do not claim anti semitism, they all have their own methods of deflection.

secondly, I am an Israeli nationalist (in a sense that I support Israel) and I am certainly not like that. In fact, Israel's strongest critics are usually Israelis.

thirdly, the criticism is often anti semitic in a sense that it singles out Israel. the BDS movement is a good example. China violates as many human rights as Israel. Russia just annexed Ukrainian territory. I can give many more examples. yet, many who would pillory Israel or advocate certain actions, only do so against Israel. now ... it is possible that they are not anti semitic (which personally I think is often the case) ... more like misguided, mistaken, misinformed, or just sloppy in their rationalizations, but it is also reasonable to suspect that they are. just because you are paranoid does not mean no one is after you.

I do however agree that taking sides is the worst possible tactic, assuming one is interested in a resolution. both sides have legitimate claims and both sides have wronged the other. point scoring is not going to move anything forward. the question is what can pragmatically be done, and that requires objectivity.
Old 14th October 2017, 01:46 PM

Yeah "the worst" was a bit strong admittedly, i meant it more colloquially than literally. I just find it anoying that everytime i question the need for war i get called an anti-semite rather have my point refuted.

Old 14th October 2017, 04:13 PM
AFA Member

Isn’t all this a bit schizophrenic? It can’t have been more than a month ago that Trump failed to condem nazi’s chanting base anti-Semitic slogans and now all of a sudden he’s defending Israeli sensibility? Wtf? These people do know that Israel is the Jewish homeland, right? They couldn’t really be so stupid as to hate Jews but love Israel and not see any contradiction - talk about doublethink.

The ultra-right republicans have a curious relationship with Israel, it seems to me. Long time defenders and supporters of Israel (which I personally endorse, although a bit more criticism from time to time wouldn’t hurt in regard to the religious resettlement nutters), and yet there’s this anti-Semitic odour that lingers about them. Trump, being a New Yorker, would probably not be genuinely anti-Semitic, although I have no evidence for that claim. Bannon on the other hand...

When I try to analyse meaning, motive and reason behind Trump’s governance I feel like i’m suddenly stuck in the most confusing, chaotic and frankly discombobulating rabbit hole where nothing is real except it’s enovating impact. It kind of leaves me dazed and confused. Very curious stuff indeed.
Old 14th October 2017, 04:19 PM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Isn’t all this a bit schizophrenic? It can’t have been more than a month ago that Trump failed to condem nazi’s chanting base anti-Semitic slogans and now all of a sudden he’s defending Israeli sensibility?

[snip]
Trumpet doesn't have to be consistent, just to be heard.

ADD: For example,

Quote:
Shitting all over centuries of American history, the sitting President of the United States declared “In America, we don’t worship government, we worship God.” while speaking to a bunch of zealots at the "Value Voters Summit." Trump is the first President to address this group.

The Dotard-in-Chief also regaled the audience, of mostly white Christ admiring folk looking to impress their way of life on the rest of us, with tales of his defense of their first amendment rights.

Oh, the irony!

If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce? - Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 14th October 2017 at 05:03 PM. Reason: upd8