Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 24th December 2015, 05:20 PM

Default Re: All in one vaccination thread: For all things vaccination related

I still can't come to terms with why parents don't vaccinate their children
Old 24th December 2015, 09:31 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
ewe-gene-schoemaker said View Post
That's because you are a rational and logical thinker and understand that the risk associated with vaccination, and no-one denies there are some risks, are incredibly small compared to a non-vaccinating population.
Old 24th December 2015, 11:56 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
ewe-gene-schoemaker said View Post
The few I know are convinced they see the big obvious secret that us plebs don't see as we swallow the cool aid... They are conspiracy theorists, plain and simple and their ego is tied up in this belief, they don't care what evidence you present as they have 'faith', of sorts.

Last edited by joele; 24th December 2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 25th December 2015, 01:05 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
joele said View Post
The few I know are convinced they see the big obvious secret that us plebs don't see as we swallow the cool aid... They are conspiracy theorists, plain and simple and their ego is tied up in this belief, they don't care what evidence you present as they have 'faith', of sorts.
I used to know a few, being an old hippy and all. There was a very strong sentiment regarding 'Big Pharma' - i think that was the most common reason for not vaccinating although 'Big Alternative Medicine' (lets just call it BAM) didn't seem to be talked about much, in between the wheat grass smoothies and the homeopathic soup.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 9th January 2016, 02:52 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
EGS said View Post
In some cases it appears simply because they are being misinformed by the anti-vax brigade;

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/par...a54f650fbec5a5

Quote:
French couple receive suspended jail sentence for refusing to vaccinate their....

...MARC and Samia Larere thought they were doing the right thing by their children, aged three and 15 months, when they refused to vaccinate them against polio, tetanus and diphtheria.
The reasons?

Quote:
“There are serious studies carried out today that prove that vaccines can make our children ill more than protect them. There are additives, like mercury and aluminium, which are dangerous.”
As far as I am aware there are none, although there are plenty of dodgy, biased and unscientific studies that do, I suspect this couple is simply not capable of distinguishing between real science and pseudo-science. The additives are there for a reason and some simple research away from the anti-vax websites would suffice to know why.

Quote:
“Vaccines, yes, but not the additives. I will almost certainly get the case referred to the constitutional court to establish if a vaccine can be enforced.”
Removing the additives may really actually make the vaccine dangerous compared to vaccines with the additives. Do these people actually research nothing and just swallow the propaganda wholesale?

Last edited by stevebrooks; 9th January 2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 9th January 2016, 03:35 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
As far as I am aware there are none, although there are plenty of dodgy, biased and unscientific studies that do, I suspect this couple is simply not capable of distinguishing between real science and pseudo-science. The additives are there for a reason and some simple research away from the anti-vax websites would suffice to know why.
Well other than the flu vax ethyolmercury has been gone from vaccines (particularity childhood ones) for over a decade here (and since 2001 in the US). I pointed that out to an anti vaxer who was telling me they use 'lethal mercury' and it got me know where as he reverted to having FAITH he is doing the right thing by not vaccinating. *sigh* Not even worth my time trying to explain the differences between ethyl and methyl mercury to him.

Actually the even worse thing about the studies is I have seen articles on Mercola etc that link to real peer reviewed studies, but they count on their readers not reading them, as in their article they completely misconstrue the study results and even say virtually the opposite of what the study is saying but link the study as proof that even "allopathic" doctors agree with them.

Last edited by joele; 9th January 2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 13th January 2016, 08:38 PM
AFA Member

Guess this goes here, attack on Polio clinic in Pakistan, the two maps make interesting viewing, that we could be held back from such a worthy effort by bloody minded terrorists is mind boggling;

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35299597

Quote:
At least 15 people have been killed in a suspected suicide bombing outside a polio vaccination centre in the south-western Pakistani city of Quetta.
Old 24th January 2016, 10:48 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Anti-vaxxers now keeping silent about kids' immunisation status

Quote:
Parents who choose not to immunise their kids are keeping it a secret from family and friends, rather than have to justify their controversial decision.
Edith Cowan University researchers interviewed a group of parents from an anti-vaccination cluster area about their reasons for not immunising their children.
All the parents said they hadn't told their extended family and friends that their children weren't vaccinated.

"They don't want the confrontation, they're tired of people questioning their choices, and they don't want to justify their decision, so they just don't tell people," researcher Bronwyn Harman said, noting it was a very polarising and emotive issue.
"This is a huge problem if Australia-wide we've got a group of people choosing not to vaccinate their children and they're not telling people. We need to stop vilifying these people so they are able to identify themselves so we don't put people who do choose to vaccinate at risk."
The anti-vaccination parents were very mistrustful of the government and doctors, suspecting that they were in the pocket of the pharmaceutical companies. "They [question] if they can believe everything they're being told," Dr Harman said. "They think the government in particular, and doctors, are trying to scare people into vaccinating their kids."
These parents consider the new "no jab, no pay" policy which will see taxpayer benefits withdrawn from families whose children aren't up to date with their immunisations, as another example of this manipulation.
They felt the media presented only one side of the issue, and anti-vaxxers were bullied on social media for being "bad parents". They said it was their right as parents to decide whether or not to vaccinate their child. "They felt personal responsibility to their own child, that they need to make the decision for their own child, they couldn't rely blindly on what the experts say," Dr Harman said.
The parents said they had researched the issue and believed the risks of childhood immunisation outweighed the benefits. They didn't cite concerns about a particular medical condition, but were simply unsure about the long-term health effects of vaccines. They believed that following a healthy lifestyle would protect them from disease.
Engadine mother-of-three Karen Bowness is in a quandary over the "no jab, no pay" policy. Her first two children have been fully vaccinated, but she abandoned the immunisation schedule for her third, son Taj, after he started showing signs of Asperger's Syndrome when he was three and she read the controversial - and since disproved - links between autism and some childhood vaccines.
"I would hate to put something in my son's body if he's got Asperger's and it's going to make it worse," Ms Bowness said. "How could I live for the rest of my life knowing I did that?"
She spoke to her GP who told her she could register as a conscientious objector, which she did. However, the government no longer considers this a "valid exemption category", so Ms Bowness could lose her family benefits if she doesn't get Taj, now 13, fully immunised.
"I [don't] want to be forced to put something foreign in my child's body that may cause him long-term damage," she said. "I think the government needs to allow for this type of informed decision."
Ms Bowness – whose family and friends know of, and understand her choice, defends it as her personal decision to do the best for her son. "I don't want to put other people's children at risk but I have the right to protect my child."
NO JAB, NO PLAY
As of January 1, 2016, parents won't be eligible for childcare subsidies and will lose Family Tax Benefit part A payment if their children aren't up to date with their vaccinations.
Children who aren't fully immunised can't be enrolled in NSW childcare centres unless they have a specified exemption.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 24th January 2016, 12:08 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Diddums

Like wolty liked this post
Old 24th January 2016, 12:44 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Hiding an infection vector in plain sight. Every immunodeficiency humans worst nightmare.