Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > General Science News

General Science News Got an idea, article or video you want to share on Science, Philosophy or Evolution?

Old 17th December 2015, 03:38 AM

Default The Boundaries of Science or Why String Theory Sucks.

“Physicists, philosophers and other scientists should hammer out a new narrative for the scientific method that can deal with the scope of modern physics.”

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20151...es-of-science/

The Nature article from last year which triggered the conference:
Quote:
This year, debates in physics circles took a worrying turn. Faced with difficulties in applying fundamental theories to the observed Universe, some researchers called for a change in how theoretical physics is done. They began to argue — explicitly — that if a theory is sufficiently elegant and explanatory, it need not be tested experimentally, breaking with centuries of philosophical tradition of defining scientific knowledge as empirical. We disagree. As the philosopher of science Karl Popper argued: a theory must be falsifiable to be scientific.

Chief among the 'elegance will suffice' advocates are some string theorists. Because string theory is supposedly the 'only game in town' capable of unifying the four fundamental forces, they believe that it must contain a grain of truth even though it relies on extra dimensions that we can never observe. Some cosmologists, too, are seeking to abandon experimental verification of grand hypotheses that invoke imperceptible domains such as the kaleidoscopic multiverse (comprising myriad universes), the 'many worlds' version of quantum reality (in which observations spawn parallel branches of reality) and pre-Big Bang concepts.
http://www.nature.com/news/scientifi...hysics-1.16535

and a couple of my own blog posts predating those in the same vein:

The Elephants in the Room: http://kennyachaffin.blogspot.com/20...s-in-room.html

Dark Matters: http://kennyachaffin.blogspot.com/20...k-matters.html
Old 17th December 2015, 08:21 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: The Boundaries of Science or Why String Theory Sucks.

Theist will love this as it opens the door for the God theory.
Old 17th December 2015, 10:33 AM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

Much to argue against here. I'll try to give it some attention tomorrow. For the moment, I'll simply say that the headline that 'string theory sucks', is unfounded.

Old 17th December 2015, 10:39 AM

Yeah well we've been over that piece before and you are welcome to your opinion on it. The article and the critics of string theory are right to expose it. It has yet to produce any results after decades of effort.
Old 17th December 2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
bruce1937 said View Post
Theist will love this as it opens the door for the God theory.
Sure and that's a large piece of the issue, i.e. the slippery slope theory of science and why there is an issue with these bleeding edge untestable theories.
Old 18th December 2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
They began to argue — explicitly — that if a theory is sufficiently elegant and explanatory, it need not be tested experimentally, breaking with centuries of philosophical tradition of defining scientific knowledge as empirical.
To be frank, this is neither something new, nor particular to today. If anything, the fact is that such voices have been stilled for a few decades.
Old 18th December 2015, 09:48 AM

If a hypothesis cannot be subject to potential falsification that is not science. Since that is one of the basic components of the scientific
method along with observation and experimentation and inter subjectivity and peer review. Once you start chipping way at any of that
you might as well just scrap it all. For there is a reason why the scientific method is so brutal and uncompromising and that is because
it guarantees the best results. Human impatience counts for absolutely nothing here. For there is no specific time limit beyond which it
becomes acceptable to compromise the scientific method. Even if the time limit in question happens to exceed future human existence
Then if your patience does not stretch that far you maybe should not be a scientist in the first place and most definitely not a physicist
Old 18th December 2015, 01:07 PM
AFA Member

I really don't know about this. I am torn. If pseudo-science didn't exist and was not a threat to real science I think we could more more relaxed about science speculation like string theory. I do not think the rules and procedures of science should change.
But this is the sort of stuff I was talking about with Puppy "metaphysics" an agnostic/atheistic world view, based on science but not science that explores evidence-free models. Call it mathematical philosophy if you prefer.
Yes, there are things that are untestable, but Bill Gates also said we would never need any more than 64k of memory. We have shit now that works that could only be imagined as science fiction or fantasy a 100 years ago.
Fuck creationism and pseudo-science, because it has made people hostile to philosophical adventure. What I think really matter in science is intellectual honesty, and so long as science speculation has that, then it is OK in my book.
And if ye'all don't agree, yous can all fuck off!
Old 19th December 2015, 11:28 PM
What Me Deluded?

I love string theory. I'm a guitar picker. I play a lot, exploring the differences between instruments and ideas, musical relationships. I do sweet intonation jobs. Steel strings especially and on a fine guitar, deliver harmonics and overtones. I'm into harmony and chord theory.

Dawkins in his latest book of memoirs, a gem, talks of constraints. Constraints are enablers, of physics, chemistry, diversity in nature, human creativity, language and knowledge through science and reason.

To me, string theory is perfectly plausible.
Like Darwinsbulldog liked this post
Old 20th December 2015, 04:37 AM
AFA Member

Although nature often surprises us, it does seem to have a limited bag of tricks. Perhaps that is a function of a limited human imagination, but I doubt it.
This paper [unfortunately not free] seems to be in synch with some of my own thoughts [if I am understanding it correctly from the abstract].

Watson, R. A. and E. Szathmáry "How Can Evolution Learn?" Trends in Ecology & Evolution.
Quote:
The theory of evolution links random variation and selection to incremental adaptation. In a different intellectual domain, learning theory links incremental adaptation (e.g., from positive and/or negative reinforcement) to intelligent behaviour. Specifically, learning theory explains how incremental adaptation can acquire knowledge from past experience and use it to direct future behaviours toward favourable outcomes. Until recently such cognitive learning seemed irrelevant to the ?uninformed? process of evolution. In our opinion, however, new results formally linking evolutionary processes to the principles of learning might provide solutions to several evolutionary puzzles ? the evolution of evolvability, the evolution of ecological organisation, and evolutionary transitions in individuality. If so, the ability for evolution to learn might explain how it produces such apparently intelligent designs.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2015.11.009
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1218085616.htm