Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > General Science News

General Science News Got an idea, article or video you want to share on Science, Philosophy or Evolution?

Old 26th March 2016, 11:13 AM
AFA Member

Thumbs up "Why Do You Believe in God? [FREE]

Jack, A. I., et al. (2016). "Why Do You Believe in God? Relationships between Religious Belief, Analytic Thinking, Mentalizing and Moral Concern." PLoS ONE 11(3): e0149989.
Quote:
Prior work has established that analytic thinking is associated with disbelief in God, whereas religious and spiritual beliefs have been positively linked to social and emotional cognition. However, social and emotional cognition can be subdivided into a number of distinct dimensions, and some work suggests that analytic thinking is in tension with some aspects of social-emotional cognition. This leaves open two questions. First, is belief linked to social and emotional cognition in general, or a specific dimension in particular? Second, does the negative relationship between belief and analytic thinking still hold after relationships with social and emotional cognition are taken into account? We report eight hypothesis-driven studies which examine these questions. These studies are guided by a theoretical model which focuses on the distinct social and emotional processing deficits associated with autism spectrum disorders (mentalizing) and psychopathy (moral concern). To our knowledge no other study has investigated both of these dimensions of social and emotion cognition alongside analytic thinking. We find that religious belief is robustly positively associated with moral concern (4 measures), and that at least part of the negative association between belief and analytic thinking (2 measures) can be explained by a negative correlation between moral concern and analytic thinking. Using nine different measures of mentalizing, we found no evidence of a relationship between mentalizing and religious or spiritual belief. These findings challenge the theoretical view that religious and spiritual beliefs are linked to the perception of agency, and suggest that gender differences in religious belief can be explained by differences in moral concern. These findings are consistent with the opposing domains hypothesis, according to which brain areas associated with moral concern and analytic thinking are in tension.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0149989

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...ne.0149989.PDF

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...e.0149989.s001

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...e.0149989.s002

SD WRITE-UP:-
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0323151838.htm

I can't say that I am very impressed by this paper, especially some of its conclusions.
Old 26th March 2016, 07:00 PM
What Me Deluded?

Default Re: "Why Do You Believe in God? [FREE]

From the Science Daily write-up Db linked to:

"Jack said the conflict can be avoided by remembering simple rules: "Religion has no place telling us about the physical structure of the world; that's the business of science. Science should inform our ethical reasoning, but it cannot determine what is ethical or tell us how we should construct meaning and purpose in our lives."

I have just read The Moral Landscape. How Science Can Determine Human Values. Sam Harris advocates for a science of morality. A great book. Tony Jack needs to read it, obviously. It's like for him religion is benign.

A high correlation has been found between religiosity and racism (The Moral Landscape, Sam Harris 2010, p.189.)

The authors of the paper are basically saying atheists are on a head trip, they lack heart. Such bollocks.

I haven't met any other forumites, but I can say I care about them and also newbies who come on, especially those vulnerable to delusion. I'm absolutely sure I speak for others.

The paper said nothing about the fact that religion is riding on culture and tradition, especially in America. It is an ancient memeplex. Take away a priori religious assumptions and 'belonging' and then do your studies on analytic thinking as against 'moral thinking' if such a divide exists within or between personalities.

It is assumed religion has a patent on morality and social concern. The love of Jeebus. Narrow mindedness, prejudice, bigotry, hypocrisy, discrimination, malignity abounds.

Sometimes I am being cerebral. Other times I am being caring. But I do hate bullshit and also moralism.

Last edited by Strato; 26th March 2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 26th March 2016, 07:35 PM
AFA Member

Yeah, I am surprised they didn't explicitly state: "we can't be good without god".

And all these religious scientists are doing good science. Of course they are! All you need to do is stick to MN, and you can't go wrong. That and religion has been embedded in culture for thousands of years, so if you do won't to do science, you pay lip service to it, and get funding, and keep your head.
Old 27th March 2016, 01:03 AM
What Me Deluded?

The Templeton Foundation, promoting Christianity in science with its huge wealth has a lot of otherwise good scientists taking the funding, compromising their otherwise free conclusions to not violate the terms.
Old 27th March 2016, 09:45 PM

I have some issues with this article, especially conclusions like this:

Atheists, the researchers found, are most closely aligned with psychopaths--not killers, but the vast majority of psychopaths classified as such due to their lack of empathy for others.

I can think of a number of instances where supposedly religious individuals exhibited a lack of empathy or out and out immoral behaviour.
“There is something infantile in the presumption that somebody else has a responsibility to give your life meaning and point… The truly adult view, by contrast, is that our life is as meaningful, as full and as wonderful as we choose to make it.”
Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Old 28th March 2016, 07:31 AM
Cuss-tard

I'm an atheist activist largely because I care about others, though I'll deny it til I'm blue in the face.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

@Goldenmane3

Old 3rd April 2016, 03:53 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
I'm an atheist activist largely because I care about others, though I'll deny it til I'm blue in the face.

Yeah but we all know anyway.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 3rd April 2016, 05:09 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post

Yeah but we all know anyway.
No you don't!

@Goldenmane3