Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Ethics and Justice

Ethics and Justice Ethics, morality, and justice in society

Old 24th February 2018, 02:00 PM
I can't tell you, but I know it's mine...
Default VIC: Sexual abuse survivors to be able to sue churches

Sexual abuse survivors in Victoria to be able to sue churches as Government moves to end 'Ellis defence'

Survivors of sexual abuse will soon be able to sue churches in Victoria, as the State Government moves to close a legal loophole.

Currently, laws in the state prevent victims from being able to take legal action against some non-incorporated organisations, like churches.

Attorney-General Martin Pakula said the new legislation was in response to a key recommendation from the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

A bill will be introduced into State Parliament in the first half of the year, he said.

"We're developing legislation to overcome the so-called Ellis defence, in response to key recommendations of the Betrayal of Trust report and the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse," Mr Pakula said in a statement.

"The Ellis defence has prevented victims from being able to sue some non-incorporated organisations on a technicality."
Thank Blue Lightning, Darwinsbulldog, SEG thanked this post
Old 25th February 2018, 04:34 AM
Resident of Fantasy Island
Default Re: VIC: Sexual abuse survivors to be able to sue churches

I can see exactly what will happen here, sexual abuse victims will get recognized as victims of crime, but the state will powerless and not be able to recover money from the religions, and so the tax payers will foot the bill for their compensation, while religions go on collecting under tax exemptions. Thereby turning it into a win for religion.

I'm outraged that churchs are not sold off to pay victims, just imagine what the properties in the CBD of every city must be worth....but I bet they have they tied up under parish ownership so each parish would have to be found wanting before they could be touched......it is a clever scam religion!