Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd April 2017, 11:32 PM
Omu'sata

Default Re: Dissecting ptutt's assertions

Please quote a single question you say I have avoided.

As to your question about why information informs our moral decisions, information informs our choices. Are you trying to say it doesn't?

I have already given you several examples of how information affects our decision making. Clearly you haven't been paying attention, which is ironic, yet again. Because you have been given information and have chosen to ignore it.

Last edited by Stubby; 3rd April 2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:32 PM
Dog is love

Quote:
ptutt said View Post
Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
And it would be customary to shag, futter, root, and generally hump them.
Citation?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barrier...sex-loopholes/

In part:
Quote:
1. There is nothing anywhere in the Old Testament that says a married man can’t have sex with as many unmarried, unbetrothed women he wants. Not a single verse. If a married woman has sex with another man, married or unmarried, both of them get stoned to death. But if a married man wants to have sex with a woman who is not claimed by another man through marriage or engagement …. the law is absolutely silent on the matter. He can just do it without suffering so much as a fine. And marry her, if he likes (as there’s no limit to how many woman a man can marry — but since a woman can only have sex with her one husband without getting stoned, there is a limit to how many men a woman can marry).
Quote:
3. There is nothing saying that you can’t rape an unengaged virgin and marry her, no matter how old she is — and if you killed her father in battle, you could do it for free. I know that’s terrible — what makes it more disturbing is that it’s true. If you kill the father in battle, there’s no one to pay a bride price to, and no father to talk to. She’s not “owned” by a male, so if you rape her…that’s it. No stoning. No fine. No punishment of any kind. In fact, you may be able to live off the plunder you got from her dead parents in addition to having sex with her to your heart’s content, whether she felt like it or not.
It’s absolutely horrifying. Surely this kind of thing would not be remotely allowed in the Old Testament? There wouldn’t be an example of this scenario being set up, would there? It’s just a made up hypothetical by a bitter atheist…
So if you raped these virgins — of all ages mind you — that was it. The men who went into battle could keep them alive “for themselves.” And remember — these women had just experienced their fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, and almost everyone they’d ever known get slaughtered by the men who took them into their custody. Due to the command of Moses, who wrote the Old Testament law supposedly “dictated” by God.

Call it marriage if you want, but let's face it, Those "yourselves" the women and kids were "for" had the whip hand, and consent was going to be a token thing. Resistance is, after all, futile.

I recommend to all readers of this thread an article here - "Politics as Sex: The Old Testament Case" by Laura Betzig.

Quote:
Abstract: In The Origin of Species and Selection in Relation to Sex, Darwin predicted that success in competition would lead to success in reproduction. In the 20th century CE, that relationship was looked for around 700 times, and almost always found. Sometime after the 10th century BCE, it had already been written into the Bible. In the Old Testament, powerful men—patriarchs, judges, and kings—have sex with more wives; they have more sex with other men’s women; they have sex with more concubines, servants and slaves; and they father many children. Bible authors knew that sex and power went together: on his way out of Egypt, Moses warned that a king might ‘multiply wives for himself’ (Deuteronomy 17:17); and when David took Israel over from Saul, he was given his 'master’s wives' along with his master's house (2 Samuel 12:8). Throughout the Old Testament, people act on a mandate to reproduce. From Genesis to the prophets, they do their best to ‘be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it’ (Genesis 1:28).
Shaggers, as I said. The article's worth reading in full.

Gentile slaves being property, Ptutt, why would your randy, bronze-age, warrior herdsmen NOT apply a bit of force majeure and bung it up them?

Right, man... I'm probably wrong.

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 3rd April 2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: spacing and a lost quote-mark
Like Stubby, Sendraks liked this post
Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:42 PM
Omu'sata

Quote:
[
Call it marriage if you want, but let's face it, Those "yourselves" the women and kids were "for" had the whip hand, and consent was going to be a token thing.
And here serves yet another perfect example of information informing our moral choices. Nowadays of course, we accept that women are just as human as men and have the right to consent to who has sex with them. We learned this through gaining further knowledge as a collective species (well, some of did anyway).

It is now immoral and illegal to rape and this further information informs our choices.
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:

In part:

Call it marriage if you want, but let's face it, Those "yourselves" the women and kids were "for" had the whip hand, and consent was going to be a token thing. Resistance is, after all, futile.

I recommend to all readers of this thread an article here - "Politics as Sex: The Old Testament Case" by Laura Betzig.

Gentile slaves being property, Ptutt, why would your randy, bronze-age, warrior herdsmen NOT apply a bit of force majeure and bung it up them?

You stated "And it would be customary to shag, futter, root, and generally hump them."

You have attempted to support this view by saying that the bible doesn't say that you cannot rape them.

Applying that logic, you assume someone is a rapist if they don't say they are not a rapist?

Really? I suggest you retract your statement.
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:57 PM
Omu'sata

Quote:
ptutt said View Post
The 'quotemining' accusation gets used frequently here, but quotmining is the practise of sourcing a quote and taking it out of context to support a position...that the quote in context does not support.
See post immediately above.
Old 4th April 2017, 12:02 AM
Dog is love

Quote:
ptutt said View Post
Quote:

In part:

You stated "And it would be customary to shag, futter, root, and generally hump them."

You have attempted to support this view by saying that the bible doesn't say that you cannot rape them.

Applying that logic, you assume someone is a rapist if they don't say they are not a rapist?

Really? I suggest you retract your statement.
Ptutt, you have chosen to ignore my assertion that forced "marriage" with no real chance to refuse is as good as rape, and overlooked an entire reference showing the tendency of dominant males in OT culture to be fuckers of many women, and not very worried about informed consent.

Your dictionary dodge on the matter of forced knee-bowing is yet another stain on your character.

Right, man... I'm probably wrong.

Like Stubby, Blue Lightning, Sendraks, Strato liked this post
Old 4th April 2017, 12:10 AM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Gah!

It's late. I'm going to bed.

Thread locked till someone can be arsed to dredge through the latest.

Like pipbarber liked this post
Closed Thread