Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 9th September 2017, 10:19 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Default Re: Marriage Equality is a Call to Action for the non-Religious

I think I might go to this tomorrow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21192077_1532670420086402_4131004300397533968_n.jpg (49.5 KB, 51 views)
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 10th September 2017, 12:06 PM
Yeah, okay. I did it.

I would take away marks for scansion, but +1 MILLION for the poem.

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,
eventually you will have two of them - Matt Roberds

Like wolty liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 12th September 2017, 03:56 PM
What Me Deluded?

Helen Razer is pretty certain Australia will vote "no" to its shame and indicative of the damage in large part attributable to John Howard in his 11 years, to economic equality, security and public awareness of how the people have been duped by this mean spirited individual.

Howard is a lawyer, thinks with words, has quite a facility with argumentation. He asserts his case and people go, "you can't argue with that!" He has no imagination.

Sorry, Howard, I've got better things to do with my time than be your captive listener while you translate your bigoted thinking and beliefs into words at my expense. You'll just have to talk to yourself.

Oh, but they do listen.

Daily Review
Sept 11
Helen Razer

John Howard Is Back, Stopping Australia Again

Quote:
Welcome to an ugly week. It is one in which the support for “Yes” to marriage equality will continue to soften. It is one in which intolerance will take root and hope will wilt. It is into these hothouse conditions that our shittiest, most cynical living Prime Minister returns to poison everything and everyone anew. It’s John Howard, returned from his dotty project of comparing himself to Robert Menzies. He’s back, doing what he does best at close to full capacity: propagandising...
Quote:
After more than two decades of separating economic reality from political consciousness, perhaps we’ve all become a little stupid and unfeeling. If someone, however deluded, feels that a return to old-fashioned values may also be a return to old-fashioned comfort—a story they’ve been told by canny propagandists like Howard for a very long time—can you truly blame them? Or, at least, can you hope to shake them out of a lifetime of thinking that everything starts with the culture, when you believe that as well?
https://dailyreview.com.au/john-howard-back/65470/

Last edited by Strato; 12th September 2017 at 04:05 PM.
Dislike Logic please disliked this post
Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 12th September 2017, 07:06 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Helen Razer is pretty certain Australia will vote "no" to its shame and indicative of the damage in large part attributable to John Howard in his 11 years, to economic equality, security and public awareness of how the people have been duped by this mean spirited individual.
Will he also be the former Prime Minister who breaks a nation's heart?
Old 12th September 2017, 09:47 PM
What Me Deluded?

He's as zealous as he ever was. A nostalgic Puritan. Why doesn't he just roll over. It is the young people's world. My daughter agrees with that.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:33 AM
Yeah, okay. I did it.

This American obit contains some telling details about why marriage equality is needed.

Quote:
Edith Windsor, the gay-rights activist whose landmark Supreme Court case struck down the Defense of Marriage Act in 2013 and granted same-sex married couples federal recognition for the first time and rights to myriad federal benefits, died on Tuesday in Manhattan. She was 88.

Her wife, Judith Kasen-Windsor, confirmed the death but did not specify a cause. They were married in 2016.

Four decades after the Stonewall Inn uprising fueled the fight for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights in America, Ms. Windsor, the widow of a woman with whom she had lived much of her life, became the lead plaintiff in what is widely regarded as the second most important Supreme Court ruling in the national battle over same-sex marriage rights.

The Windsor decision was limited to 13 states and the District of Columbia. But in 2015, the Supreme Court held that same-sex couples had a constitutional right to marry anywhere in the nation, with all the protections and privileges of heterosexual couples. Its historic significance was likened to that of Lawrence v. Texas in 2003, which decriminalized gay sex in the United States.

Ms. Windsor had just wanted a tax refund. But for thousands struggling for gender equality, the stakes went far beyond tax advantages available to married heterosexuals, including Social Security, health care and veterans’ benefits; protection in immigration and bankruptcy cases; and keeping a home after a spouse had died, as well as food stamps, green cards and federal aid to the poor, the elderly and children.

Like countless others, Ms. Windsor had been snared by the Defense of Marriage Act of 1996, which barred same-sex married couples from federal recognition as “spouses,” effectively excluding them from federal benefits available to married heterosexuals — precisely 1,138 benefits, according to a count by the Government Accountability Office, Congress’s fiscal watchdog agency.

After living together for 40 years, Ms. Windsor and Thea Spyer, a psychologist, were legally married in Canada in 2007. Dr. Spyer died in 2009, and Ms. Windsor inherited her estate. But the Internal Revenue Service denied her the unlimited spousal exemption from federal estate taxes available to married heterosexuals, and she had to pay taxes of $363,053.

She sued, claiming that the law, by recognizing only marriages between a man and a woman, unconstitutionally singled out same-sex marriage partners for “differential treatment.”

Affirming two lower court rulings, the Supreme Court overturned the law in a 5-4 ruling, citing the Fifth Amendment guarantee that no person shall be “deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law.”

The Defense of Marriage Act had been adopted in Congress by wide margins and signed by President Bill Clinton under the pressures of an election year, at a time when gay marriage was illegal across the country and odious to millions of Americans.

By striking down the act’s definition of marriage as a union of a man and a woman, the Supreme Court invalidated the entire law and for the first time granted same-sex marriage partners the recognition and benefits accorded married heterosexuals.
More@sauce

Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 13th September 2017, 11:16 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

There are door knocking campaigns being organized by GetUp! (and I think others) across the nation and I encourage everyone to consider participating. in the spirit of transparency, I will not be taking part as I will be attending a GetUp! 'conference' interstate. if interested, you can find details on their FB Page
Old 13th September 2017, 08:40 PM
Yeah, okay. I did it.

Oh, great! $122 million, and it's about as secure as a post-it note.

SSM postal survey envelopes reveal same-sex marriage responses under torch light, prompting privacy concerns

Quote:
Some Australians have expressed their concerns about the privacy of the same-sex marriage postal survey, after photos shared widely on social media appeared to expose a trick that could reveal the responses inside sealed envelopes.

A photo that was initially shared on Facebook showed how shining a torch light over the reply-paid envelope included with the survey could reveal the marked Yes or No box on the form inside.

"So we have wasted $122 million on a survey where a torch can reveal the answer through the reply envelope it came with," the user wrote.

"So any postal worker with a vendetta against the opposing side can go through and remove votes as they see fit. (Or workmate if you post from work). Bravo government."

The ABC conducted a test and found the torch light did indeed reveal a clear mark in the Yes or No box.
More@sauce

Old 14th September 2017, 03:25 PM
Omu'sata

In other news, I saw yesterday that Sportsbet is paying 1.33 for 'yes' and 4.00 for 'no'.

That means two things to me:

1. Betting on human rights is now a thing.
2. (But) we know where bookmakers are putting their money.
Old 14th September 2017, 04:13 PM
AFA Member

Supposing I just received the surveys for the couple that used to live where I'm currently living. I don't know who they are, I have no forwarding address. What is the moral thing to do? Answer yes and send them back or stick them in the bin?