Humanities/Social Sciences Philosophy, History, Politics etc

Old 3rd April 2017, 06:20 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Archaeology: Zombie Woo!

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Vampires, bah!

They might be Jeebuses.
You know nothing Mr B! Bejesus was indeed a zombie but because he abstained from flesh eating after he rose he perished in a matter of days, the fool. He would have arisen regardless of limb severing or any of those other pointless things they did back in the day. No...we are dealing with vampiric issues here sir!
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 11th December 2017, 06:11 PM

Zombies at the death of J.C.

http://ovid.lib.virginia.edu/trans/M....htm#488378559

Venus in her anxiety voiced her fears throughout the heavens, but in vain, troubling the gods, who though they could not break the iron rules of the ancient sisters, nevertheless gave no uncertain omens of imminent disaster. They say weapons, clashing among black clouds, and terrifying trumpets and horns, foretelling crime, were heard from the sky: and that the face of the sun, darkened, gave out a lurid light, over the troubled earth. Often, firebrands were seen, burning in the midst of the stars: often drops of blood rained from the clouds: Lucifer, the morning star, was dulled, with rust-black spots on his disc, and the moonís chariot was spattered with blood.

The Stygian owl sounded its sad omens in a thousand places: in a thousand places ivory statues wept: and incantations, and warning words, were said to have been heard in the sacred groves. No sacrifice was favourable, and the livers were found with cleft lobes, among the entrails, warning of great and impending civil conflict. In the forum, and around menís houses, and the temples of the gods, dogs howled at night, and they say the silent dead walked, and earthquakes shook the city. Still the godsí warnings could not prevent the conspiracy, or fateís fulfillment.
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth." ... Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Dislike The Irreverent Mr Black disliked this post
Old 11th December 2017, 07:00 PM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

@KJ - Ovid commenting on the death of JC would be a miracle of sorts.

Quote:
NAME: PUBLIUS OVIDIUS NASO
Important Dates:

Birth: March 20, 43 B.C. in Sulmo
Death: A.D. 14 in Tomi
Source

My confirmation bias is better 'n your confirmation bias.

Old 12th December 2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
@KJ - Ovid commenting on the death of JC would be a miracle of sorts.

Source

@IMB - JC = "Julius Caesar"

Similar story elements. I think the authors of the NT took bits and pieces out of Ovid's description of the death of Caesar in order to create the same sort of events - including the zombie risings and the darkened sun - relating to the death of the "Other JC". (Harry Jesus Potter).
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth." ... Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Old 12th December 2017, 01:15 AM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

Shakespeare drew on the Ovid bit too.

Ho hum.

My confirmation bias is better 'n your confirmation bias.