Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Humanities/Social Sciences

Humanities/Social Sciences Philosophy, History, Politics etc

Old 16th November 2017, 01:49 PM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

Default Decaf Coffee is a Nazi Plot!

Das Link

Quote:
In addition to advocating nudism and organic farming, Treitel says, Life Reform practitioners followed pre-modern diets that swore off stimulants, which included refined sugar, high-proof alcohol, tobacco, meat, and caffeine. This philosophy influenced the public health policy of the Nazi regime. “In the 1930s, all of this is part of a Nazi health movement, which became basically part of official policy,” Uwe Spiekermann, a historian at Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, says. “So [Nazi health researchers] like Hans Schreiber, Leonardo Conti, they were backers of these crusades against alcohol, against tobacco, against coffee.”

Under the Nazi Party, the appeal of decaf (a way to avoid stimulants) became state policy meant to safeguard the idolized Aryan race. Geoffrey Cocks, author of The State of Health: Illness in Nazi Germany, says that Nazis “earnestly believed that it was their duty and their responsibility not only to protect health of individual Germans, but the health of the entire German people as a biological, racial entity.” This of course excluded Jews and other non-Aryans, as well as homosexuals and the sick.

Similarly, the Party took measures to warn the Aryan population of caffeine’s dangers. A 1941 Hitler Youth Handbook, writes Stanford science historian Robert Proctor, states that “for young people at least, caffeine was a poison ‘in every form and in every strength.’” By the end of the 1930s, he adds, decaffeinated coffee was “widely available—and strictly regulated.

And while the Nazis regarded the buzz from a fully-caffeinated cup of joe to be ideologically verboten, Norman Ohler writes in Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany that the Nazis encouraged Aryan people to snack on “meth-spiked” chocolate. The stimulant helped increase productivity, but they didn’t perceive it as poisonous.

"The recommendation was to eat between three and nine of these [chocolates],” Ohler writes, “with the indication that they were, unlike caffeine, perfectly safe."
Time to stoke the Bialetti for freedom, methinks!

My confirmation bias is better 'n your confirmation bias.

Old 16th November 2017, 02:23 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Default Re: Decaf Coffee is a Nazi Plot!

I knew it!
Old 16th November 2017, 02:30 PM
AFA Member

I read blitzed earlier this year. Ace read. Nazi’s loved their meth and really, in comparison, caffeine is pretty lame.
Old 16th November 2017, 02:54 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I read blitzed earlier this year. Ace read. Nazi’s loved their meth and really, in comparison, caffeine is pretty lame.
Shouldn't that be "blitzread"?*

* A method of comprehension whereby the reader scans the book with short, fast, powerful attacks...?