Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Humanities/Social Sciences

Humanities/Social Sciences Philosophy, History, Politics etc

Old 6th June 2017, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Perfection

Time reversed universes? You been on those 'herbal' cigarettes again?
Old 6th June 2017, 08:55 PM
Because Dickmas

Quote:
THWOTH said View Post
Playing with his Dick, mayhap?

I'll be reading Free Speculative Fiction Online till we get some more content.

Like THWOTH liked this post
Old 6th June 2017, 09:47 PM

I loved that book. Amiss' Time's Arrow might have been more rigorous in its application of the principle but when Dick's muse was aroused he was tumescent.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:49 PM
What Me Deluded?

Barring Jesus who was, after all, divine, John Wesley was as close to perfection as is humanly attainable, but Wesley would correct me there and say, obtainable.

Yet maybe Wesley was just totally anal and perfectionistic, driven by it. Not much into sex. Certainly made a great many converts to Methodism. He avoided the needful encounter with David Hume, methinks.

Barring Wesley we have Mother Teresa.

But of course the Indians have their own saints and renouncers. Just give me a bed of 4 inch nails widely spaced and I am in 7th heaven. Meher Baba, the great avatar the fucking twat, didn't speak for 40 years, purportedly. Pointed to letters to spell out his sublime communiques, and wrote books full of delusional and misleading shite.

And then there is Sai Baba.
Old 7th June 2017, 01:52 AM
Because Dickmas

Quote:
THWOTH said View Post
I loved that book. Amiss' Time's Arrow might have been more rigorous in its application of the principle but when Dick's muse was aroused he was tumescent.
"Pipe of sogum" - I know where PKD can stick that concept!

Like THWOTH liked this post
Old 8th June 2017, 09:23 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
THWOTH said View Post
Time-reversed from OUR perspective. I don't mean you have a universe where folks are born old and die as babies.

Quantum tunnelling is time reversal, albeit at a small scale. And if you had a bubble/Mandelbrot multiverse, then of course, some universes would be time reversed from the perspective of others. A "black hole" in one universe would look like a "white hole" [or a universe expanding from a singularity] in a connected universe.
Old 8th June 2017, 06:48 PM

Step away from the Star Trek boxsets - it ain't helping.
Old 9th June 2017, 01:18 AM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
THWOTH said View Post
Time-reversed from OUR perspective. I don't mean you have a universe where folks are born old and die as babies.

Quantum tunnelling is time reversal, albeit at a small scale. And if you had a bubble/Mandelbrot multiverse, then of course, some universes would be time reversed from the perspective of others. A "black hole" in one universe would look like a "white hole" [or a universe expanding from a singularity] in a connected universe.
Where does it say that Db? Verse and number.
Old 9th June 2017, 08:24 AM
Because Dickmas

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Many people say that there's no perfection as it is a delusion or improvements and betterment are a constant. I strongly disagree. I argue that perfection is possible. When perfection is reached, there's no more further improvement. While perfection may not exist yet, it is absolutely possible to achieve perfection.
So, after many meanderings, here we be.

No cite, and no definition.

Let's take stock of the situation. Standing on this lofty wave-peak of present consciousness, let's look left, right, fore and aft, to see what can be seen, which may resemble perfection.

Looking around my present self, I see my old pal, Entropy, hard at work.

Stuff not done (hi, shelf-dusting!) is getting even undone-er, and systems I set up carefully, with failsafes in mind, are failing, albeit safely.

I continue to get older. People even younger than me are popping off the twig after distinguished careers.

My late mother's last (unfinished, due to her decline and demise) gerontology paper was to be on what she termed The Fall, that cataclysmic event that often precedes death in older humans by a few months. Dammit, I nearly had The Fall a few weeks ago. Even Phil Collins is getting in on the act.

So, our old buddy, Memento Mori, grins that very toothy grin, and reminds us we're fucked, just not yet.

Trump. Terrorism. Bigotry. No perfection round here, folks!

Look back, over your shoulder. Did we miss Perfection? Has it flourished and withered already?

We all pissed, crapped, and cried a lot. Then we got into crawling round, and later, falling over. There was so much we didn't see as kids, and lots of it was imperfection.

A big howdy to all the others who thought Rolf Harris was the perfect, nice, entertainer.

And a special wave of the hand to those whose early lives were airbrushed to leave out the ugly bits. If you need a metaphorical symbol, let me give you The Brady Bunch, that wholesome TV show. Despite the daddy character being an architect, the Brady house didn't have a toilet.

Clearly imperfect, and never going to get its shit together: that would symbolise the past, er, perfectly!

The future? Who can tell? Well, we can, with some certainty. Perfection's chances aren't looking good.

Entropy, Memento Mori's big brother, is coming for everything. From coral polyps to galaxies, everything is eventually fucked. It's only a question of time and scale.

Believe what you want, but don't come crying when reality bites down on whatever of your tender bits you've poked into space, expecting the warm, lubed caress of Perfection.

You'd be better off leaving Perfection be, and asking Epictetus if you could share his sandwiches.

Quote:
I have to die. If it is now, well then I die now; if later, then now I will take my lunch, since the hour for lunch has arrived and dying I will tend to later.
- Discourses I, 1.32
Ah, sandwiches.... enjoy every one.

This rant brought to you by Dog v2.0, who is sometimes the embodiment of Entropy.

Like Goldenmane liked this post